16 Aldebaran bfs owners: Question for ya

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 16 Aldebaran bfs owners: Question for ya

Post by Houndfish » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:17 pm

ccass wrote:
It's surprisingly strong. Just make sure your leader knot is good.
Hah, I don't think I could manage a leader knot in any kind of wind with line that fine. I don't know if I will bother with leader if I ever try braid that thin again, I only really use my UL stuff for white perch and sunfish, neither of which I have found to be very line-shy.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Houndfish wrote:
ccass wrote:
It's surprisingly strong. Just make sure your leader knot is good.
Hah, I don't think I could manage a leader knot in any kind of wind with line that fine. I don't know if I will bother with leader if I ever try braid that thin again, I only really use my UL stuff for white perch and sunfish, neither of which I have found to be very line-shy.
The leader will help with abrasion. Gills tear up braided line with their mouths.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Anyone try to swap the gears from the 16 Aldebaran BFS XG with a 15 Aldebaran 50?

Wouldn't mind 8.1 gears in a 50 sized Aldebaran.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:05 pm

With my 16 Aldebaran BFS XG, the lightest nylon line that I have used is 5LB Sniper and the IIRC, the lightest braid was 10LB Suffix 832. I have never had line get caught in between the spool and the frame. When I owned a 15 Aldebaran BFS XG Limited, the lightest line that I used was 5LB Sniper and it did get caught between the frame and the spool. I think that I may have had the cast control cap too loose. Unfortunately, I no longer own one of those so I can’t check it for myself. My suggestion is to tighten your ccc more than you normally would and see if that solves your problem.

kosiko
Angler
Angler

Post by kosiko » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:41 am

John G wrote:With my 16 Aldebaran BFS XG, the lightest nylon line that I have used is 5LB Sniper and the IIRC, the lightest braid was 10LB Suffix 832. I have never had line get caught in between the spool and the frame. When I owned a 15 Aldebaran BFS XG Limited, the lightest line that I used was 5LB Sniper and it did get caught between the frame and the spool. I think that I may have had the cast control cap too loose. Unfortunately, I no longer own one of those so I can’t check it for myself. My suggestion is to tighten your ccc more than you normally would and see if that solves your problem.

I used 15 Aldebaran limited with 4lb mono, lines did stuck into the gap between spool and frame, when having a bird Nestle ...

I also tried tighten the spool tention, and turn on all brake blocks. As long as spool over run, this issue will happen.

I will try line will large diameter later.
Ben ...the shimano fan

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 am

kosiko wrote:
John G wrote:With my 16 Aldebaran BFS XG, the lightest nylon line that I have used is 5LB Sniper and the IIRC, the lightest braid was 10LB Suffix 832. I have never had line get caught in between the spool and the frame. When I owned a 15 Aldebaran BFS XG Limited, the lightest line that I used was 5LB Sniper and it did get caught between the frame and the spool. I think that I may have had the cast control cap too loose. Unfortunately, I no longer own one of those so I can’t check it for myself. My suggestion is to tighten your ccc more than you normally would and see if that solves your problem.

I used 15 Aldebaran limited with 4lb mono, lines did stuck into the gap between spool and frame, when having a bird Nestle ...

I also tried tighten the spool tention, and turn on all brake blocks. As long as spool over run, this issue will happen.

I should add that with my KTF spool, I've had the line get stuck less than with the stock spool.

kosiko
Angler
Angler

Post by kosiko » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:33 pm

ccass wrote:
kosiko wrote:

I should add that with my KTF spool, I've had the line get stuck less than with the stock spool.
Spool is not cheap :(
Ben ...the shimano fan

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:56 am

Bit off topic regarding this reel....since it has magnetic brakes do you set spool tension knob same way as with daiwa sv reels, just to remove side to side play, or it needs to be a bit tighter to limit backlashes?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:18 pm

Pastrmka wrote:Bit off topic regarding this reel....since it has magnetic brakes do you set spool tension knob same way as with daiwa sv reels, just to remove side to side play, or it needs to be a bit tighter to limit backlashes?
I keep a slight side play. I let the mag brakes do their job. It's a very good casting reel. Even more so with the KTF spool.

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:11 pm

ccass wrote:
Pastrmka wrote:Bit off topic regarding this reel....since it has magnetic brakes do you set spool tension knob same way as with daiwa sv reels, just to remove side to side play, or it needs to be a bit tighter to limit backlashes?
I keep a slight side play. I let the mag brakes do their job. It's a very good casting reel. Even more so with the KTF spool.
Thanks, got one coming in few days, can't wait to try it out

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:15 pm

Pastrmka wrote:
ccass wrote:
Thanks, got one coming in few days, can't wait to try it out
I got the gen1 spool which is ported. The new ones aren't ported

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:54 pm

You need to try new 16ALD29R or 16ALD15R...It's even a bit better then KTF 1gen... :)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:53 pm

fffishing wrote:You need to try new 16ALD29R or 16ALD15R...It's even a bit better then KTF 1gen... :)
You got both of those spools? I see the 16ALD15R is advertised at 4.9gr with bearing...what are you seeing on the scale?

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:47 pm

Yea,I've got both...
IMG_2740[1].jpg
IMG_2740[1].jpg (53.86 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
without bearings... \:D/
Attachments
IMG_2789[1].jpg
IMG_2789[1].jpg (53.21 KiB) Viewed 5216 times

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:53 pm

fffishing wrote:Yea,I've got both...IMG_2740[1].jpg
without bearings... \:D/
What's with bearing?

Also, do you feel the reduced weight of the inner parts of the spool provide more benefit than the porting on the outside of the KTF? There is more rotational inertia the further you are from the axis