What happen to the Z hype?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What happen to the Z hype?

Post by spookybaits » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:39 am

Johnny A wrote:
papabassin wrote:Fish the Z2020 & you'll know why people want a Z1016 8-)
Ehh, ~~. Z2020 is a very good non-bass reel but a forced square peg bass reel.
Hence why everyone wants a Z1016/smaller bass sized version

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:08 am

Well so what happen to all the hype about the Concept Z??
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Johnny A wrote:
It's a bit big and heavy for standard duty applications, but when it comes to swimbaits there isn't a better lowpro out there.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Teal101 wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
It's a bit big and heavy for standard duty applications, but when it comes to swimbaits there isn't a better lowpro out there.
TD-Z Big Bait Special was another one that was similar to Z2020. Nice reel but a tough fit.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:03 am

1nutinthewater wrote:Well so what happen to all the hype about the Concept Z??
Concerning the Concept Z, I think the hype died down because none of it was true. It DIDN'T cast 20 yards further than any other reel, it didn't cast super light lures like 1/8 a long ways, and it was basically a cookie cutter version of any other 13 reel around $200 with bushings instead of bearings. There were also some noise issues which was odd because it was claimed to be silent, and they also tend to get a lot of reviews where the reel is mentioned to be very loose and rattling sounding.

I don't think they are terrible reels, just maybe a little more engineering should go in or a few other extras to justify the price. I do think the attempt at technology (eliminating a problem spot like bearings) improvement is GREAT for the market. They made a bushing that will never rust and never seize up yet still casts within range of bearings. I personally won't be able to bring myself to try a 13 until I get an issue resolved from a gift reel I got that went out extremely fast, but I do respect their efforts to bring something new.

It's not hate on a non Shimano/Daiwa company either, the T-wing didn't make a huge difference, and hell it is even on the Steez now. I am one that is neutral/likes the T-wing a bit, but from a heavy user of those products, I would rather have SV 1000 times over before the T-wing tech. Generally that's why hype is called hype, because that is all it is.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:05 am

but , they spent 18 years and 50 million dollars developing that czb bushing...

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 am

Another promoted lie (by sponsored youtubers and pro's) in fishing industry.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:27 pm

+1 8-)

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:42 am

Teal101 wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
X2 And an awesome A rig reel as well.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:01 am

To the OP:

I'll try and give my honest answer here as I was sincerely intrigued by this new reel with "never before utilized groundbreaking technology that casts to the moon and is perfectly silent which took many years to perfect." -- or something along those lines...

For me, it was the price tag...When I found out that it was $200, I was disappointed. As someone who's fished the Concept C which utilizes ball bearings and is priced at $240, why would I think something on the same platform with an orange paint job priced $40 less is going to blow my mind or be better than the Concept C. I don't know, I think besides not being Daiwa/Shimano...the price tag just killed it for me.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:05 am

zodiak311 wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
It's funny you should bring up swimbaits for the Z2020. I'm checking out smaller swimbaits, Gancraft 148, LimberLamber

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:24 am

I've been fishing a 7/1 Concept Z reel for two months now. I have it spooled with 65lb braid, and it's on a 7'6" punch rod.
It is smooth and quiet, and a pleasure to use. I balanced the rod just at the front of the spool, and it's effortless to pitch/punch.
I'm 70, so I don't punch for hours at a time anymore, but I can do it in half hour stretches with very little fatigue.
The reel casts smoothly, and it has a great drag, so getting the fish back out of the mats is no problem.
I really like having a 6.5 oz reel that I can punch with.
I typically don't ever pay full price for a reel, and seldom spend more than $120, but I was intrigued by the sleeve bearing concept, so, with the full price of $199, I splurged and bought one.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but I'll wait until the price drops this time. ;)

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:55 am

To the original post:

My main reason for losing interest is the lack gear of ratio's being offered for lefty's. If you're not interested in a high speed reel, oh well. I guess 13 Fishing wanted to see how the Z was going to be received before they offered more options for lefty's.

Normware
Angler
Angler

Post by Normware » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:13 am

I tried one last week. In the parking lot at my local crack er... tackle dealer.

It cast quite well. The sound was different - not louder or quieter - but different. I made about a dozen casts with it. The distance was good.

My favourite colour is orange so that did not dissuade me. My main issue with it is the price : $260.00. When I can get a proven reel for the same or less why take a chance on a reel that does not have a proven track record.

If it was in the 150- 175 price range then I would buy one.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:01 pm

Johnny A wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
It's funny you should bring up swimbaits for the Z2020. I'm checking out smaller swimbaits, Gancraft 148, LimberLamber
It's exceptional for smaller swimbaits. I had a problem with mine casting baits over 3oz, it would trip the clutch. Could've just got one made on Friday though.

For casting anything under 3oz, or over 3oz using lob/underhand casts and its golden. That reel shines with baits 3/4-3oz.