Hedgehog Air BFS Bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Hedgehog Air BFS Bearings

Post by reddragon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:15 pm

I've been using these bearings with my megabass IS BFS spool and they have been noisy on casts. Are these supposed to be noisy on casts or quite? I'm not used to it and am not sure if that's how they're supposed to be. Any help will be appreciated it, thanks.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Hedgehog Air BFS Bearings

Post by SSS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:58 pm

They're noisier than your average metal bearings, but not as noisy as any of the ceramic hybrids

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:20 am

They're noisy in my Calcutta 50XT BFS reel.

Like a 'zip' noise - can be annoying but i think its more than a noise issue - a mate had his Air BFS HH bearings explode in his Steez.

Only been casting < 4gr lures on 6lb mono so not like they've been pushed.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:52 am

If you oil them like you need to they will remain quiet and still cast well

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:54 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:If you oil them like you need to they will remain quiet and still cast well
Yes they will make less noise. They also will need oil more often than stainless bearings based on my experience. That's why I keep a bottle of Alechemy Oil in the boat.

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks, I've oiled them and yes they still are noisy on casts. But it's good to know it's normal.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:47 am

reddragon wrote:Thanks, I've oiled them and yes they still are noisy on casts. But it's good to know it's normal.
The tiny SIC ball BFS style bearings really do help decrease startup friction vs. a larger ball, making it easier to get your spool going. A little noise is just something that you have to accept with the SIC balls. As said earlier, the oil doesn't seem to last long on these either. I run stainless ZR bearings on my heavier casting reels because of the mentioned issues.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:35 pm

ZRs dipped in TSI 321 are fine for finesse work and are very quiet. I run them in a Steez A with a Megabass IS BFS spool and it will throw a 1/8 oz jighead 35m with the right rod. The ZRs perform very well with TSI and you don't have to keep re-lubing them. Have caught some large saltwater fish on these bearings and found that they are very durable.