Where are the shimanos?

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Where are the shimanos?

Post by Mike son » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 am

MTBF wrote:Added a third Shimano Poison Adrena to the arsenal this morning, thanks again to a good friend of mine. I absolutely love the accuracy and light weight the pair of 6'10" Mediums have gave me the last 2 seasons now. The third addition is the 7'4" Ex-Heavy. The action isn't labelled on the rod but feels like a Med-Fast taper. Stiff tip bends lot's in the middle of the blank. Should be nice for fishing my 1/2oz Swim Jig's with a 4" Swinging Hammer. I fish them in pretty heavy cover and have done fine with the 7'1H & 7'3XH Expride rods. This setup just feels more sensitive and lighter with a tad more backbone & added length. Can't wait to fish it.

The Exsence DC looks awesome on this rod. Think I'll leave it on for the next season.

Tightlines guys!

MTBF
I'm interested to hear how you like the 7'4" XH when you get a chance to fish it. I've been looking for this rod for awhile to do a few heavy cover applications. I'm disappointed that they stopped production of the Poison Adrena line.

Item code Length (m) Transport length (cm) Weight (g) Nr of guides Nr of sections Casting weight (g)
PADRN174XHSB 2.24 190 165 10 2(Butt Joint) 120

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:06 pm

majayyer wrote:I really like the 6'10 medium adrena too. The tip is perfect and its so light for one hand slinging.
I agree i use em as twitching rods one for jerk bait's the other for small spook style topwater (Dog-X Speed Slide). Handle smallies, largemouth, treble hooks and both mono/fluoro lines well.
Mike son wrote: I'm interested to hear how you like the 7'4" XH when you get a chance to fish it. I've been looking for this rod for awhile to do a few heavy cover applications. I'm disappointed that they stopped production of the Poison Adrena line.

Item code Length (m) Transport length (cm) Weight (g) Nr of guides Nr of sections Casting weight (g)
I'll post my thoughts here for sure, it's a hair stiffer than my 7'3XH Expride. The blank is noticeably thicker also. Very light and feels wicked however with the Exsence DC can't wait to chuck some bait's in heavy cover with it. Feels like it will cast well and has a nice mid section bend when it loads up.
mtfishing IG

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:45 am

MTBF wrote:
majayyer wrote:I really like the 6'10 medium adrena too. The tip is perfect and its so light for one hand slinging.
I agree i use em as twitching rods one for jerk bait's the other for small spook style topwater (Dog-X Speed Slide). Handle smallies, largemouth, treble hooks and both mono/fluoro lines well.
Mike son wrote: I'm interested to hear how you like the 7'4" XH when you get a chance to fish it. I've been looking for this rod for awhile to do a few heavy cover applications. I'm disappointed that they stopped production of the Poison Adrena line.

I'll post my thoughts here for sure, it's a hair stiffer than my 7'3XH Expride. The blank is noticeably thicker also. Very light and feels wicked however with the Exsence DC can't wait to chuck some bait's in heavy cover with it. Feels like it will cast well and has a nice mid section bend when it loads up.
How have those Aldebaran's held up??? Been considering one of them versus a Metanium MGL JDM, just not as much feedback as I expected on the Aldebaran.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:53 pm

DirtyD64 wrote: How have those Aldebaran's held up??? Been considering one of them versus a Metanium MGL JDM, just not as much feedback as I expected on the Aldebaran.
The Aldebaran has held up great. I do a basic oil and outer cleaning each season. Nothing internal. We fished them hard pitching plastics and winching fish out from cover in 2015 and half of 2016. Then we put those same Aldebaran's from my pitching sticks to the Poison Adrenas for several trips and weeks of use.

So 3 seasons later and no time in service I can tell you the finish has held up great. They are smooth as a new Aldebaran in the showcase at work(fishing shop), no noise when casting and I can honestly say they cast better then new now as I've learn to adjust and adjust them down to a fine tuning. Now they will be on there 4th season fishing smallies and largies with jerk bait's and topwater hardbait's.

I'm very very happy, yes they are not as smooth as a Metanium but you can't beat a 4.7oz reel that has power, refinement and holds up after 3 seasons of use. Guys call it a "toy" as it feels cheap some people may say, I can tell ya the weightless setup's I'm using allow me to work a jerk bait all day if needed with no fatigue, same with twitching those Dog-X Speed Slide spooks. No fatigue. For twitching sticks a Aldebaran is a great choice IMO.

Hope this helps! I can honestly say I do not miss my Core 50Mg7's. The Aldebaran's perform better and are much more comfortable to fish. I think this winter I might send them to Shimano for a Clean/Service. Some new grease on the gears can't hurt :lol:

MTBF
mtfishing IG

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:47 am

3 years and my aldebarans have held up fine. I use mine mostly for jerkbaits and small finesse stuff though. I know a bunch of guys using it for flipping and no major issues have come up. They are much more durable than the abu / lew's light sub 5oz reels.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 am

MTBF wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote: How have those Aldebaran's held up??? Been considering one of them versus a Metanium MGL JDM, just not as much feedback as I expected on the Aldebaran.
The Aldebaran has held up great. I do a basic oil and outer cleaning each season. Nothing internal. We fished them hard pitching plastics and winching fish out from cover in 2015 and half of 2016. Then we put those same Aldebaran's from my pitching sticks to the Poison Adrenas for several trips and weeks of use.

So 3 seasons later and no time in service I can tell you the finish has held up great. They are smooth as a new Aldebaran in the showcase at work(fishing shop), no noise when casting and I can honestly say they cast better then new now as I've learn to adjust and adjust them down to a fine tuning. Now they will be on there 4th season fishing smallies and largies with jerk bait's and topwater hardbait's.

I'm very very happy, yes they are not as smooth as a Metanium but you can't beat a 4.7oz reel that has power, refinement and holds up after 3 seasons of use. Guys call it a "toy" as it feels cheap some people may say, I can tell ya the weightless setup's I'm using allow me to work a jerk bait all day if needed with no fatigue, same with twitching those Dog-X Speed Slide spooks. No fatigue. For twitching sticks a Aldebaran is a great choice IMO.

Hope this helps! I can honestly say I do not miss my Core 50Mg7's. The Aldebaran's perform better and are much more comfortable to fish. I think this winter I might send them to Shimano for a Clean/Service. Some new grease on the gears can't hurt :lol:

MTBF
Thanks for the reply, the Aldebaran interests me because of the extremely light spool. I love my Chronarch MGL but the more I use it I understand it can't go as light as the Zillion SV's I have. I do really enjoy my first Shimano though and the light weight capability of the Aldebaran interests me. Do you know exactly how light the spool is??? And how light have you cast with it?

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:20 am

DirtyD64 wrote: Thanks for the reply, the Aldebaran interests me because of the extremely light spool. I love my Chronarch MGL but the more I use it I understand it can't go as light as the Zillion SV's I have. I do really enjoy my first Shimano though and the light weight capability of the Aldebaran interests me. Do you know exactly how light the spool is??? And how light have you cast with it?
Couldn't tell ya how light the spool is and I'm not a finesse guy so my light's bait's I've thrown with these rods would be pitching 1/4oz hair jig's for walleye and casting would be 3/8oz-1/2oz topwater's and jerk baits.

Maybe Ryan can help with that one? I don't have a scale to weight spools.
mtfishing IG

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:05 am

More Shimano goodies! Picked up 3 of the Curado K 200XG's for my Spinnerbait/Swimbait/& Frog rods! Very impressed with how well the 70XG's held up last year and the previous fall. These feel wicked smooth and are going to fit in my lineup nicely. They even match the Expride's a little with the gold thread's and the cold cast control cap. :D

Got to love early Christmas!
mtfishing IG

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:47 pm

Sweet Expride/Curado rigs!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Stile SS Hg- Loving these little reels. Super smooth, lightweight, aluminum frame, brass gears, carbon drag washers and the drag clicker is sweet when those redfish take off. Definitely works great as a finesse reel. Spool is slightly shallower than my Curado/Core 50s, but has plenty of power to take on large fish. Had to swap all the knobs out for some knobs from the Chronarchs which are much more comfortable. This rod has been my favorite paired with it so far- 6'10 Cumulus for small/light jerkbaits.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:05 am

Here's my first Shimano combo. Not the greatest pics, but it's still cold out.

Can't wait to see how this rod compares to my other ML casting rods.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:43 pm

One word to describe.........................SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTT !!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:24 pm

Cool gear! What is with the spool on that aldeberan? Look like the ported holes are uneven

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:16 am

Obz wrote:Cool gear! What is with the spool on that aldeberan? Look like the ported holes are uneven
Thanks. It's a KTF 1st gen spool for the 16 Aldebaran BFS. They couldn't port the spool where the FTB magnetic brake is located. It looks like the 2nd gen spool isn't ported, and allows a more controlled, easy cast. At least that's what KTF is advertising.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:21 am

Stella FG x Conquest 842S

Stella FI x Conquest 843S

Conquest 101HG x Conquest 844

Conquest 101HG