Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:47 pm

I do love the size.

The only thing I really want is a Calcutta CQ 51 with the smaller side plate like the 101hg I have....
Amazing reel.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby reason162 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:04 pm

johnD wrote:I have yet to see him tear one down and go thru it...must not be mechanically inclined.


I mean, it's nice to sorta see the size comparison I guess, but anyone can do his "reviews." He does seem to get the new reels in first, probably the only way to stay relevant.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1224
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:31 am

reason162 wrote:
johnD wrote:I have yet to see him tear one down and go thru it...must not be mechanically inclined.


I mean, it's nice to sorta see the size comparison I guess, but anyone can do his "reviews." He does seem to get the new reels in first, probably the only way to stay relevant.


Yeah I like the casting comparisons, even though I'm still confused as to how an Aldebaran and stock SS/SV cast almost the same... But I like to see reel breakdowns too, not that hard to do, if you aren't mechanically inclined just practice with a junker. I tore down and rebuilt an old Abu Silver max to learn, must have done it 40 times.

User avatar
arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby arrowslinger1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:31 am

Finally got mine in. I added one bearing to each knob and a bearing to the worm gear.
It feels super solid. Its smaller than the chronarch but just by a smidge. Its mainly just shorter.
The 84mm on the hg seems right at home on this reel. (I am a fan of the 90mm). The spool access side plate is very solid feeling and smooth to operate. It does have an o ring around it.

Someone on one asked if tilting the reel would allow the spring for silent tune to fall out of the reel. It will not, the spring is secured.

Someone also mentioned that the line guide was close to the spool - it is. But no closer than the setup on the calcutta conquests and they cast great. It has the wide line guide opening like the metanium and ald. It may even be wider, I will have to compare.

The casting performance is great. The big dial is smooth and easy to operated but doesn't have clicks. (no biggie)
Line lay is great.
The part on the reel just under the handle that says micro-module is also aluminum.
As for the drag star being ci4 instead of alum I have no idea why. But I have never bent or broken a drag star so I'm not too worried about it. I think the Met drag star would fit no problems if you wanted to change it.

Very Very smooth reel, it truly feels like a conquest to me *with added bearings...
I am very pleased with it.
Would buy another.
Must buy all jdm shimanos.....

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby Brad in Texas » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:50 am

Good review . . . above.

I'd like to hear and see some "on the water" reviews. If one is out there, I have missed it.

My guess is the ci4 material for the drag star is simply related to a desire to cut weight whenever and wherever possible. Does a star drag require more rigidity, heft? I doubt it.

It is actually incredibly tough material, ci4, but I know it sort of flies in the face of a negative bias we all cling to related to anything made of or perceived as "plastic."

I really like the size!

Brad

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 am

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby chreim20 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:04 pm

arrowslinger1 wrote:Finally got mine in. I added one bearing to each knob and a bearing to the worm gear.
It feels super solid. Its smaller than the chronarch but just by a smidge. Its mainly just shorter.
The 84mm on the hg seems right at home on this reel. (I am a fan of the 90mm). The spool access side plate is very solid feeling and smooth to operate. It does have an o ring around it.

Someone on one asked if tilting the reel would allow the spring for silent tune to fall out of the reel. It will not, the spring is secured.

Someone also mentioned that the line guide was close to the spool - it is. But no closer than the setup on the calcutta conquests and they cast great. It has the wide line guide opening like the metanium and ald. It may even be wider, I will have to compare.

The casting performance is great. The big dial is smooth and easy to operated but doesn't have clicks. (no biggie)
Line lay is great.
The part on the reel just under the handle that says micro-module is also aluminum.
As for the drag star being ci4 instead of alum I have no idea why. But I have never bent or broken a drag star so I'm not too worried about it. I think the Met drag star would fit no problems if you wanted to change it.

Very Very smooth reel, it truly feels like a conquest to me *with added bearings...
I am very pleased with it.
Would buy another.


Nice review, I feel the same way about mine. Let me ask you a question, do you find it a little difficult to pull the spool out because of the rubber o rings on the spool shaft? Mine is a little hard to get out, no big deal, but it is.

User avatar
diehardbassfishing
Angler
Angler
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:33 am

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby diehardbassfishing » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:12 pm

Caught a video where the side plate is removed by pushing the spool a bit with the side plate unlocked.
Seemed to come apart pretty easy this way. User had the same problem you mention until tried this.

Karl

User avatar
arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby arrowslinger1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:33 pm

I noticed I had to push it just a bit to get it out, not difficult at all- but I did notice that I couldn’t just tilt the reel and give it a light jolt for it to fall out like my others.
Must buy all jdm shimanos.....

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby jpmoney » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:14 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I do love the size.


That’s what she said. :lol:

User avatar
arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby arrowslinger1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 am

Ok, two days on the water..
It feels very similar, almost identical to the conquest in smoothness during retrieve. (keep in mind I added three bearings to it)
I have the HG which comes with the 84mm handle. I came home and ordered the 90mm from a curado k (same handle)
Casts great, didn't try any small baits, mainly threw 3/8 jigs, spinnerbiats, and some heavier. The line guide being close to the spool doesn't seem to hurt it at all. I have zero complaints about it. Super comfortable and super solid feeling reel. I highly recommend it.
Must buy all jdm shimanos.....

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1224
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:53 pm

arrowslinger1 wrote:Ok, two days on the water..
It feels very similar, almost identical to the conquest in smoothness during retrieve. (keep in mind I added three bearings to it)
I have the HG which comes with the 84mm handle. I came home and ordered the 90mm from a curado k (same handle)
Casts great, didn't try any small baits, mainly threw 3/8 jigs, spinnerbiats, and some heavier. The line guide being close to the spool doesn't seem to hurt it at all. I have zero complaints about it. Super comfortable and super solid feeling reel. I highly recommend it.


I watched a video on youtube where a guy said the Bantam spool should be lighter than the Chronarch MGL spool, but that was assuming that the bearing weighs 1.5 grams I think. I have no idea about the bearing's weight, but the spool didn't seem much different aside of the Silent Tune feature though.
Let us know if you get to try some lighter weight lures, I'm starting to think a JDM Metanium would be a better choice because of capacity and spool weight...

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby stingray23 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 pm

This is definitely my next reel.

User avatar
Blauwe Lori
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby Blauwe Lori » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:21 am

IT is NOT in stock by digitaka?

Where is the reel in stock

Regards

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:31 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby Cyacnba » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:32 am

Blauwe Lori wrote:IT is NOT in stock by digitaka?

Where is the reel in stock

Regards


Ebay but right hand only as of now. JapanTackle has the 5.5:1 gear ratio in stock.

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 am

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby down4ttown » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:51 am

I would like one of these myself, but I will have to be patient. I like the idea of the solid feel for my cranks. Shimano is definitely bringing their A game with some of the newer releases.


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests