Chatterbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chatterbait rod

Post by DavidSA » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:54 pm

fishingandfords wrote:Ended up going conquest 903 instead of the javelin. Also added a 844 :doh:

as a long term TT member, I am totally surprised :doh:

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:24 pm

fishingandfords wrote:
poisonokie wrote:Tatula 7'2" MH Glass all the way. I hardly ever miss a hook up with that rod. The Zillion version would be a worthy upgrade because it has K frames with SiC inserts for better braid casting.
You couldn't pay me to use a daiwa :roll:
Did Daiwa kill your mom? :laugh1:

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:10 pm

i wend out yesterday and today and got on a great chatterbait bite i threw them on the javelin and it worked very well think im going to have to get another one of these. I have had the rod at the beginning of February and have used it for many different things and it does them well, but it really does make a great chatterbait rod, have yet to lose a fish on it.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 am

The "Monkey" is on me for a Shimloomis 904c, would it be a good chatterbait rod?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:18 am

I think the 903C would be better suited unless you are fishing in heavy cover.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:00 am

njbasscat wrote:I have been using a MB X4 Destruction for a few years now and love it for 1/2 oz chatterbaits and 65lb braid. I know its no longer made so I dread the day something happens to it.
This is what I've used too. Works great, but I'm a chatterbait rookie so don't know if a faster or slower action rod would do better?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:35 pm

I generally only fish chatterbaits in the spring and I generally fish big ones that I think have TW of roughly 3/4oz. In the pond behind my home, I will normally use a 3 power rod. On a lake I have lost some of the biggest fish of the year around laydownds that I could not initially see. For this reason, I fish stouter rods for chatterbaits and chatterfrogs most of the time. My weapon of choice is a 4 power -ish rod and 40# braid. In close quarters, I use an old custom Loomis MBR 847 and braid. If in open water, I use a Dobyns 765 graphite crankbait rod and the same braid.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:07 pm

No disrespect Spooky :big grin: Different Strokes for different folks you dig, I fish a lot more weird than most folks as well so who cares as long as you're catching fish Mang!

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 am

spookybaits wrote:
njbasscat wrote:I have been using a MB X4 Destruction for a few years now and love it for 1/2 oz chatterbaits and 65lb braid. I know its no longer made so I dread the day something happens to it.
This is what I've used too. Works great, but I'm a chatterbait rookie so don't know if a faster or slower action rod would do better?

I've caught many chatter fish on a fast action rod over the years but now tend to like a more moderate action rod as long as I can still make the pinpoint casts. As I have gone to slower action rods I have started using braid. If one can't find a more moderate rod they like, I would not hesitate to stay with a fast action rod.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:46 am

DavidSA wrote:
spookybaits wrote:

I've caught many chatter fish on a fast action rod over the years but now tend to like a more moderate action rod as long as I can still make the pinpoint casts. As I have gone to slower action rods I have started using braid. If one can't find a more moderate rod they like, I would not hesitate to stay with a fast action rod.
Same here. If I'm using a fast action, I go with fluoro. If more moderate, braid works well. I fish chatterbaits around grass mostly and the MB X4 Destruction seems to have been made for this. Its got the muscle to get the big ones heads turned but a nice moderate action to keep them hooked. This is the most versatile rod I've ever used. I can punch mats or throw big bait trebles. It handles it all.

atxguy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by atxguy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:56 am

Over or under $750?

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Boonethelunkerlander » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:19 am

GLX 844MBR, 200 Curado and 14lb Sniper...Wickedly awesome yet pointless Chatterbait rod HAHA!
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 pm

I use an old steez fle x lite crankbait rod. But I think it's important to have some give when those fish slap at it rather than eat it did. You'll hook more of those fish when that happens

I have the dobyns 736 but it's a little deader feeling and a bit long and heavy for my tastes but I'm not a tall guy
Last edited by Rfdong on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:05 am

atxguy wrote:Over or under $750?
Okay, Brett...
This is the way.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Boonethelunkerlander wrote:GLX 844MBR, 200 Curado and 14lb Sniper...Wickedly awesome yet pointless Chatterbait rod HAHA!
I LIKE IT! That's the rod I use for chatterbaits, 'cept for adding a zillion tws with fluoro. Love that setup for chatterbaits!