Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

Post by Tigerbass » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:03 am

We can argue over appearance, but bottom line going to be how they perform. I don't think MB is going to take a step backwards in performance with an updated line of rods. At minimum, there is upgraded cork, upgraded guides, supposedly lighter and better balanced......while maintaining the same price. If they maintained the sensitivity and performance of the original XX, or even improved upon it, then they will be great rods. I actually like the look over the original XX and will at least wait until people get them on the water before passing judgement.
Last edited by Tigerbass on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 am

Perhaps one could point out some differences visually. I think the point we are getting at is that the two series look quite similar in many ways and "share" many of the same design characteristics and styling components. For something "built from the ground up" we were expecting it to...well... look different than what already exists.

That would be like Ford saying here is our completely redesigned from the ground up Ford Ranger Truck only to find that everything about it is nearly identical in terms of looks to a F-150. Sure the F-150 is a good truck and the two have different features and performance but you would suspect there to be differences in the look that are NOTICEABLE.

MB users are a tough crowd at times. Given what the company has done in the past expectations are high. Innovation and design has always been top tier with them. Not doubting the performance or if the rods look good just baffled at why so much visual overlap. Oh well, it is what it is. I am keeping my 2 Orichi XX rods for the time being as I absolutely love them.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:18 am

M Perry wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:Mark thanks for taking time to share with us all of the info and thoughts on the series. I think the part that gets us is that you mention MB had put extra time into crafting this series. More R&D, more feedback, more testing, etc but yet the looks are barely distinguishable from the XXX rods. Surely there are improvements in terms of the blank and guides to increase performances and feel but visually many were expecting something different from current MB offerings and not just something different from the prior Orichi XX rod line that ended up being very successful and popular. IMO if MB truly spent this much time reworking the series how did the looks come out as nearly identical? Why not change a few visual things help distinguish them asthetically?

Yes, it appears they took the time to perfect the actions, tapers, and overall uses of each rod to the US angler plus add in a few new models but it seems like they took quite a bit of visual carry over from the XXX rods. To me that seems like taking the easy way out instead of designing something more unique looking. Not saying it needed to be more blinged out but just different then what they had done prior.

Having never used an XXX rod I can’t comment on how they perform. I just know it seems like they are not as popular and a few reviews I seen the user seemed to think they were ok. Some noted they lacked feel and others were not to fond of the reel seat.

I will likely give the new redesigned XX rods a shot after some user reviews are out.
As I stated earlier the entire series of blanks for the XX while they share the material to a point with the XXX rods was totally built from scratch. The time and effort it took to design 15 blanks did not happen overnight. The blanks are not simply XXX blanks with XX badging. They were built from the ground up.

When you put the XX side by side with the XXX you will see differences as I explained such as coloration and visually.

Also it's important to point out that it's not like the XXX was a huge flop or substandard. In a way some are making it sound like it's an inferior rod. As I pointed out before there are few complaints that the US and JDM Destoyers look very similar. People rave about both series. I think as people use and see the XX it will ease some of the skepticism a bit.
Right on, thanks Mark! I'm definitely open to them & not writing them off(Plus, I think they look cool 8-) ).
If I get along with that reel seat I can see myself owning one or three. With the exception of the added length to the jerkbait rod, I love the specs & actions on all of them and I can see where megabass really took the time to get that right.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:11 pm

I honestly don't think anyone's writing them off really, I think these will actually sell like hotcakes especially to the newer crowds. I also think they be very good rods, if course!! I like the tradition they come from in the XXX JDM as well as American XX family just not for me yet. I may come around to them eventually but as I said I will use this time to build up my X7 stable :big grin: On a side note highly doubt the General public will even see this kind of talk so no harm no foul in the long run in my humble belief. Fish on!!

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:45 pm

I owned a xxx Rattle Viper for a season. I liked the rod a lot but the reel seat didn't work for me. It was the most uncomfortable trigger I have ever used. I sold the rod this winter because of it. I was afraid MB was going to use it on the new xx. Unfortunaly, this is a deal breaker for me. Hopefully most people will not have the issue I had.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:09 am

I'm the one guy who likes the ACS seat, so I have high hopes I will like the xx and xxx seats.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 am

I am actually a fan of the Spiral Tech ,or whatever reel seat. I've had no issues with them would actually like to see MB go triggerless on some choice sticks :-k

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:42 am

By the way thanks to Mark and everyone who chimes in on this thread this is one of those good classic ones that will be around for a while I look forward to seeing the reviews once these come out as I said I may come around just not quite as quick or not at all. Generally I'm the type who likes to jump on their stuff pretty early too

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:27 pm

Houndfish wrote:I'm the one guy who likes the ACS seat, so I have high hopes I will like the xx and xxx seats.
I'm the other guy who likes the ACS seat. :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:58 am

After looking at multiple pictures of the new XX's and then looking at all of my Daiwa rods, the trigger on the new XX looks to be nearly identical to the triggers on my Tatula Elites, and Compile X's. The trigger on my 8 Zillon swimbait rod is smaller than any of them. I don't have a problem with any of these triggers being uncomfortable.

Last rod that I bought that had and uncomfortable trigger area was the Shimano Zodias.

If anyone could chime in on whether the triggers new XX rods have a similar feel to the the Daiwa triggers when they get their hands on one that would be great.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:28 pm

Here's an excellent break down of the new XX rods.
Definitely worth the watch, Kenichi knows his stuff.
Sharing this here, because I feel like this thread didn't start off very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4uzMW7ssas
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by GaterB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:23 am

I got a chance to handle the new rods at the Classic Expo. I was thoroughly impressed. Now after hearing the purpose and attention to detail behind the series, I am blown away. Megabass, in my opinion, leads the way in presenting a product that is not only a tool used to accomplish a task, but an instrument to precisely achieve a specific goal. Are there rods out there that perform as well? Yes. But for me, no other company provides a product that improves the experience of catching fish the same way that Megabass does.

Okay I’m done..in case anyone was wondering, I’m REALLY excited for this new series LOL
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:27 am

Good thread, and opinions all the way around. As stated many times in our loved activity "it" works for some and not others. People may come around some may not, but that didn't mean they're bad rods time will tell bit there as well. Good luck to those who hook it up though :big grin:

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:11 am

389Maverick wrote:Here's an excellent break down of the new XX rods.
Definitely worth the watch, Kenichi knows his stuff.
Sharing this here, because I feel like this thread didn't start off very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4uzMW7ssas

That is a great video. I posted it on the other XX thread the other night. Its great to hear it from the man himself that has more knowledge of the XX lineuop than most anyone. The time he put into them this past year is staggering. He is one of the best guys in the industry to talk shop with. He is so detailed on the little things that its always an eye opener.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:45 pm

I'll be the first bearer of bad news for many of the pre-order customers out there, specifically regarding one of the most sought after models in the entire new series. The Braillist has officially been delayed by Megabass until "late June" for ALL pre-order customers regardless of where it was purchased. I received the unfortunate news this morning and wanted to let all our customers know, and those who have pre-ordered elsewhere. To the best of my knowledge, all other models are still on schedule for early May.

On the bright side, I'll have the opportunity to fish quite a few models the first part of April and am excited about it. Thanks guys for all the support of Megabass and their outstanding line of products.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap