Spining Rod Opinions

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DelcoSol
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Spining Rod Opinions

Post by DelcoSol » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:02 am

Hey guys, I am looking for some opinions on a new spinning rod. I currently have two St. Croix, a 7' MF Avid X and a 68MXF Avid, and a 68M Crucial drop shot rod. I prefer the regular Avid with the XF tip over the X. I am looking for something to be my primary spinning rod to be paired with a 2500 Stradic Ci4. The St. Croix M seems to be a little under rated in its power so I was debating on a Legend Elite 610MLXF but I am not sure if it's too light. I mainly fish Wacky senkos, tubes and keitech on ball head igs 1/8-1/4 oz and also want to try the Ned rig this year. I have been talking to Gary at TTT about the new XXX series and he is pushing the Destroyer Adermine pretty hard. The $400 would be the absolute top of my budget. The XXX Whipsnake is interesting but he says it's too light. I guess something in Loomis could be an option as well. I prefer 7' and under in length but could go a little longer. I mostly am fishing open water so the cover isn't too crazy.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spining Rod Opinions

Post by Hulkster » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:52 am

if i had $400 to spend on a rod I would be looking at the Loomis IMX Pro's.

Although I have not fished with one they seem amazing handling in store.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:54 am

I hope I can help a bit. I have a St Croix Legend Xtreme 6’8” M/XF as well as a St Croix Avid 6’6” M/F, and I have the MB Destroyer Addermine. I totally understand why Gary is recommending it so highly, it’s just a bada$$ spinning rod performance wise and handles really nicely. I’d say it’s a bit less powerful then a ST Croix Medium spinning rod rating, but it’s taper is more akin to a Loomis GLX SJR series rod. The blank is much more crisp then the St Croix Avid line. I love the 6’8” M/XF for weightless and wacky senkos, and skipping under trees or docks. But the taper on the Addermine is more versatile,still handles the weight of a 5”senko, but also handles lighter weights better then the Croix. The Addermine taper is not as fast as my Croix M/XF that has that light hingelike action, but is faster then my Avid M/F with a much crisper feel a bit more stiff tip.

I’d say if you’re looking to add something different to your line up to compliment what you already have, and to be a tad less powerful then the Croix M then the Addermine is really hard to be beat. Based on the specs I’ve seen the XX Whipsnake will be to light for a lot of what you’re looking for. In the specs of the new XX rods I’d think the Shakeyhead will be closest to the Addermine and might be worth a look. I’ve never used the original XX Ronin but always assumed it was similar to a Croix M/F spinning blanks based on specs.

Hope that helps.

DelcoSol
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DelcoSol » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:08 am

Thanks for the reply. That sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Still, the LEMLXF got glowing reviews from Cal. Your assessment on the MF vs MXF is spot on to me. The MF feels like a completely different rod. Since they are the same blank I ust assumed it was due to the tip. The XF is much more crisp in my hands anyway. The LE is slightly cheaper and has a better warranty in case I do something stupid and break it. I do not have experience with MB spinning rods and their XF vs F tip. The XXX Shakey head is a F tip with more power than the whip snake.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:18 pm

i have the LE 6'10" mlxf, fantastic rods, i actually have 2 of them i like them so much. throw mainly 1/8 jig with a grub, or similar, but was throwing a 1/4 this morning for some walleyes, and it handles that with ease too. i throw a 1/8th ned rig on it all the time, and some tubes as well, its a pretty versatile rod for finesse stuff, to me it fishes more on the medium side of ML. i was thinking about getting an addermine as well, but from the thread i made in the enthusiast section the 6'10" mlxf and the addermine are very similar rods.

DelcoSol
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DelcoSol » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:50 am

Canga, what ultimately made you go with the LE? Also, have you fished a M St. Croix?

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:12 am

I went with the LE because I had a LT I didn’t really like and upgraded to the LE. I have fished the 6’8” mxf and 6’3” mxf in avids, lt and le, I prefer the mlxf to the mxf as the mxf is fairly stout, and I tend to finesse fish, and the ml is more versatile imo.i have fished the mlf (6’ and 7’) and prefer the xf version.

I have fished just about every St. Croix rod series they make for fresh water and the current le is the only one I have really liked, I’ll be getting my 3rd in the near future, a 6’3” mlxf, I handled one and it seems like a shorter version of the 6’10” for smaller stream smallie fishing

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:36 pm

the nrx 852s is hands down the best spinning rod ive ever fished. Ive fished F and XF Med and ML LEs, Avids, other NRX, GLX. The NRX 852 is noticeably softer in the top section than the 2016 LES7MF. I'd say it sits between a St.Croix ML and M in power in the upper part of the rod. You can find NRXs on sale for 20% off or more so it puts it in your range.

although not ideal for very light dropshot (but can handle it no problem) it is perfect for pretty much all other finesse fishing. a quiver killer.

ive never fished the addermine :(