D.I.Y. No drill anchor trolley installation ...

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

D.I.Y. No drill anchor trolley installation ...

Post by uljersey » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:46 pm

Here's a "cut-n-paste" from my original post over on BBC ...

Here's a look at my 'no drill' installation of an anchor trolley. For those who may not be familiar with what a trolley does, it basically allows you to orient your kayak in an optimum position regardless of wind / current ...

'No drill' means exactly that - no drilling required. However, being each brand of kayak is unique, this is a basic guideline. You pretty much have to take advantage of existing hardware and adapt as needed to fit your particular situation. There are quite a few videos and tutorials out there, do a little research and get some ideas. My yak is a Pescador Pro 120.

Materials - most can be bought at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

1/8" paracord. You can buy it by the foot or just get a 50' pack. The 50' pack is cheaper and you'll have plenty left over.
Two 3/4" pulleys. I prefer the kind with the swivel eye vs a fixed eye. These are nickel plated with a brass wheel. HD doesn't carry this kind, Lowe's had them. Be sure to choose one where the gap between the outer edge of the wheel and the inside of the body is as small as possible so the cord can't fit between the wheel and body and jam up.
One 1/4" carabiner.
One bag 3/8" nylon cable clamps.
One Nite Ize CamJam XT Rope Tightener (optional) ... makes adjustments to the system a breeze - no knots required. Not a necessity but makes life easier. I found through trial and error it's beneficial to allow enough cord so the carabiners 'sag' at the midpoint of the travel, about halfway down the side or just about under the water surface ... too tight and the carabiners will walk up the hull at the extreme ends of the trolley travel. That's where having an adjustable carabiner pays off, you can cinch the trolley tight for when it's not in use but still have enough cord to loosen it up to allow for proper movement fore and aft when it is being used. Another benefit of being able to cinch it up tight when not in use is it won't slap the hull and make unwanted noise. Better to have a little extra cord than not enough and not having to tie/untie knots to make adjustments is nice.

Here's an example of using the existing hardware. This is the the cord that one of the two pulleys is attached to. I backed the screw out enough to fit the cord under the screw head, then tightened the screw. I used a tiny zip tie to cinch the cord tight so it can't work it's way out from under the screw. Use a lighter to melt the ends of cut cord to prevent fraying, or use heat shrink tubing.

Same deal at the stern.

Cable clamps. They're there to provide a travel path for the cord, they're not meant to bear load so no need for anything heavier. Try to piggyback them on existing accessories/hardware if possible.

The anchor rope will go through the silver carabiner.

My anchor setup. Spring loaded clothesline reel. They come with crappy vinyl cord (fine for hanging clothes, not so good for anchoring) , so I pulled it all out, cut off all but about 12", tied on anchor line of my choice to the 12" remaining of the original and I have about 40' of available anchor line stored neatly. Some guys use retractable dog leashes, either way is a good way to keep the line out of the way.
The anchor is a 5 lb pin. The second pic is the deployed anchor.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: D.I.Y. No drill anchor trolley installation ...

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:43 pm

Very good!

Lots of ways to set things up and your DIY adds a few more options.

I wanted to mention another truly "no drill" option and that is to simply purchase two Harken Track-mounted pulleys. Place one of them on any existing track up as far forward as you can usually around where your foot extends forward in a kayak's cockpit. Then, put the other all the way back on track mounted in the tankwell.

I use a Z Cleat, also attached on track near my hand to secure the trolley position once I get it positioned, usually as far back as possible.

Brad

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:26 am

Brad in Texas wrote:Very good!

I wanted to mention another truly "no drill" option and that is to simply purchase two Harken Track-mounted pulleys. Place one of them on any existing track up as far forward as you can usually around where your foot extends forward in a kayak's cockpit. Then, put the other all the way back on track mounted in the tankwell.

I use a Z Cleat, also attached on track near my hand to secure the trolley position once I get it positioned, usually as far back as possible.

Brad

Thanks !

I wasn't aware they made pulleys that fit accessory track. In my case, my kayak doesn't have 'track in the back', so that wouldn't have been a viable option in my case, but would definitely work for others I'm sure. They look to be well made.

I refined my cord anchoring idea ... I wasn't too keen on the original 'cord under the screw head' thing, so I modified a couple of pad eyes to give a better anchoring point for the pulley cords. I'm much more comfortable with this configuration. Weather is still crappy out here so I won't be able to test it for at least another week or so.

Bow ...

Stern ... The screw holes on this kayak are blind, so unused ones won't allow water in. I used a thick rubber washer under the eye to add a bit of cushioning, plus a dab of low strength LocTite on the screw.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:29 pm

That's a good adjustment making yours better.

Yes, track positions control whether or not the track-mounted Harkens will work.

They do make some really nice 4" tracks now. Of course, they require drilling so here we go again.

But, one on a flat surface at the stern could be used for a Harken Pulley and double up as a track for mounting a visibility light/flag.

Here is a good product from YakAttack for possible trolley anchor points or just to add a few to any kayak for rod holders, well anything. If I were adding customized tracks, I'd get these. They are available in different lengths.

Brad

Moustafa11
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Moustafa11 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:40 pm

Brad in Texas wrote:Very good!

Brad

Imagetransfers Amiens
Thank you very much