Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Post by Loafer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:45 am

Ajaxin wrote: Metanium MGL Weight
Bantam MGL Weight
Metanium MGL Spool
Bantam MGL Spool
Bantam top Metanium bottom
Bantam MGL drive gear
Bantam MGL pinion
Bantam MGL side plate
Bantam MGL drive gear carbon drag washer
Bantam MGL Dartainium drag washer
Thanx for great pictures! I'll post it on our russian fishing forum, if you dont mind.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:So, does the Bantam has Silent Tune like the Met MGL? That bearing on the spool?
yes
http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fis ... m-mgl.html

Ajaxin
Angler
Angler

Post by Ajaxin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:54 pm

Loafer wrote:
Ajaxin wrote: Metanium MGL Weight
Bantam MGL Weight
Metanium MGL Spool
Bantam MGL Spool
Bantam top Metanium bottom
Bantam MGL drive gear
Bantam MGL pinion
Bantam MGL side plate
Bantam MGL drive gear carbon drag washer
Bantam MGL Dartainium drag washer
Thanx for great pictures! I'll post it on our russian fishing forum, if you dont mind.

No problem at all

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:17 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:So, does the Bantam has Silent Tune like the Met MGL? That bearing on the spool?
yes
Ok...So it has 8 bearings like the Chronarch MGL...so, where is missing a bearing at the Bantam comparing with the Chronarch MGL? ...if one of the bearings is on the spool?!?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:21 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Anybody else find it interesting that it looks like there is a screw at the end of the crankshaft and wormshaft? Did they do way with the C clips?
#71 screw is the RH body gear cover plate retainer - seems the worm shaft isnt locked in with a clip on its reverse side?? Only one clip on the RH side to lock the gear in place. Weird!

Id say the plate #44 is acting as a lock down retainer - if thats the case that works for me.

On a side note its got the level wind saving function if you decide to throw a finger in there.

So as a factory 8 bearing and upgradable to 11 bearing reel, you cant go wrong here.
Last edited by Slazmo on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcLjDgFrCTQ

Dunno if it was already posted or what

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Should be 12 bearings if you add one to the worm gear like the chron and met.
So according to japan Tackle only the sh gets the 90mm handle?

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:31 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Anybody else find it interesting that it looks like there is a screw at the end of the crankshaft and wormshaft? Did they do way with the C clips?
They did the same with the Calcutta Conquest, with a screw holding the crankshaft bearing.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:06 pm

Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
yes
Ok...So it has 8 bearings like the Chronarch MGL...so, where is missing a bearing at the Bantam comparing with the Chronarch MGL? ...if one of the bearings is on the spool?!?
Ok this bothered me forever and so far I have only come to one conclusion... The US shops have gotten the bearing count wrong. They have done this before, see the Tatula LT spinning reel. I researched this over and over because I have OCD'd myself about having a dual supported main gear and pinion. Either way, the catalogue from Japan that a few JDM product youtubers flipped through on video showed the Bantam MGL having 9 bearings. The schematic posted also showed 9 total unless I have gone crazy. I figure once the reels come in, they will update and correct the count.

I guess it is possible the US Bantam MGL has one less bearing but I have NO IDEA why it would and where they would take it from. Aside of 1 each per knob, that would leave it having less bearings in critical areas than the Curado K, a $180 reel. I am becoming more and more confident that it is just a mistake by US shops listing the reel as 8 bearings.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:45 am

The idea is:

Chronarch 8+1
Bantam 8+1

Ok...but...if the Bantam has Silent Tune with that bearing on the spool (and the.Chronarch doesnt has it), where does the Bantam has one bearing minus? :roll: :lol:

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:22 am

No silent tune just moves the bearing that is normally under the spool tension cap onto the spool.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:24 am

Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:The idea is:

Chronarch 8+1
Bantam 8+1

Ok...but...if the Bantam has Silent Tune with that bearing on the spool (and the.Chronarch doesnt has it), where does the Bantam has one bearing minus? :roll: :lol:
I compared both schematics, and have solved this bearing search everyone is talking about (I think), slow day in my life, lol Both the Chronarch MGL and the Bantam MGL has a bearing count of 8 + 1.

The Bantam MGL has added the silent tune bearing to the spool shaft, but has removed a bearing on the handle sideplate. If you have the schematics to the Chronarch MGL just follow the cast control cap and you'll see 2 bearings, one supports the pinion gear for x ship and one supports the spool shaft. Now look at the schematics for the Bantam following the cast control cap. They removed a bearing, and now they just have the one bearing for x ship.

So, because of this, when you cast the Bantam, the spool shaft is still only riding on 2 bearings, the palming side plate bearing and the silent tune bearing. When you cast the Chronarch MGL, the spool shaft is only riding on 2 bearings, but the bearings are further apart. Does that make sense?

Also, because of this, when you engage the cast control thumb bar on the Bantam, the pinion gear would have to slide in and out of the one bearing under the cast control cap.

Hope this helps out, if I'm wrong, let me know, just trying to solve this for anyone who cares.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:58 am

chreim20 wrote:
Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:The idea is:

Chronarch 8+1
Bantam 8+1

I compared both schematics, and have solved this bearing search everyone is talking about (I think), slow day in my life, lol Both the Chronarch MGL and the Bantam MGL has a bearing count of 8 + 1.

The Bantam MGL has added the silent tune bearing to the spool shaft, but has removed a bearing on the handle sideplate. If you have the schematics to the Chronarch MGL just follow the cast control cap and you'll see 2 bearings, one supports the pinion gear for x ship and one supports the spool shaft. Now look at the schematics for the Bantam following the cast control cap. They removed a bearing, and now they just have the one bearing for x ship.

So, because of this, when you cast the Bantam, the spool shaft is still only riding on 2 bearings, the palming side plate bearing and the silent tune bearing. When you cast the Chronarch MGL, the spool shaft is only riding on 2 bearings, but the bearings are further apart. Does that make sense?

Also, because of this, when you engage the cast control thumb bar on the Bantam, the pinion gear would have to slide in and out of the one bearing under the cast control cap.

Hope this helps out, if I'm wrong, let me know, just trying to solve this for anyone who cares.

This is spot on. The Bantam's design is still essentially the same just slightly different function, not really though as the pinion still has full dual support.
Unless for some crazy reason they decided to remove the bearing that sits next to the anti-reverse for the US model or the bearing bolted under the main driveshaft, this whole 7+1 count MUST be a mistake.
I would be willing to bet money that they simply listed the count wrong after seeing all I have seen and looked into it. With all the aluminum used it probably wouldn't matter, should be a very solid reel.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:25 am

The conclusion of all these facts?!?

Which is the most practical and usefull in performance? :roll:

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:40 am

Configuring it the way the Bantam is, it essentially turns it into Daiwa's version of the free floating spool, but with the spool shaft that goes through the reel. The spool bearings during the cast are in the same place that Daiwa's free floating spool is. Which is better? I prefer the longer spool shaft in Shimano reels, but it really doesn't matter, both will function great. Some may say the spool shaft would cut down casting distance, but I've never noticed a decrease in casting distance.