Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

Post by Rippin-lips » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 am

I owned both the TV and PP. I sold the TV because it had too much overlap with the PP and though the PP is a heavier stick, it was more versatile imo. The TV just felt really stout and lacking in the tip department. It didn’t load near as nice as the PP did. Almost a broomstick feel to it when compared to the PP. It’s definitely one of the must haves in the xx series.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:12 am

Good to hear about the re-design for more lifting power. The flipping special is a great rod, but left something to be desired ripping pinned fish out. I wonder if the new XX model matches the XX Prototype model I have "F8.5-711XX". If the longer spinning rod is anything like the older XX proto model I have it will be a great stick for tubes.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by GaterB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks!! Looks like I have a list of must haves building steadily as we approach the release!
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:52 pm

M Perry wrote: The new model taking its place will be very impressive and cover more of the finesse presentation spectrum. Will still be an excellent choice for dropshot presentations but will be more versatile as well.
I have an XX Dropshot and while I do really like it as a DS rod, I am not really digging it for much else. I was already thinking of selling it and getting an Addermine, so this new XX spinning rod has my interest.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:I owned both the TV and PP. I sold the TV because it had too much overlap with the PP and though the PP is a heavier stick, it was more versatile imo. The TV just felt really stout and lacking in the tip department. It didn’t load near as nice as the PP did. Almost a broomstick feel to it when compared to the PP. It’s definitely one of the must haves in the xx series.
I have a TV and I really like it, although I admit I don't have a lot of experience with rods that heavy to compare it too. I used it last season almost exclusively for chatterbaits and really love it for that presentation. I agree that the tip is not the best near the bottom of it's range, but once I got up around 3/4oz total lure weight, the casting really improved. This winter I paired it with a Ringa SSS and started throwing ~5" swimbaits (Big EZ, the larger Rage Swimmers, a Magslow) with it and it really casts them quite nicely. I am going to try to throw buzzbaits and some heavier spinnerbaits into the mix this season and if it handles them as well as it does the chatterbaits/paddletails, then I am going to keep it for sure.

However, I am curious to try a PP when they are re-released. I am going to try frogging on a Hyuga 72H this season and if that doesn't work out then the PP will pushed to the top of the "Rods I need or I might actually die" list.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:38 am

Just three weeks til the classic, right? Let’s get some info! :D

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:34 am

MediumHeavy wrote:Just three weeks til the classic, right? Let’s get some info! :D
Looking to buy a new spinning rod this year for bottom contact techniques. Have a few in mind but really waiting on the XX! Probably look at the new shakey head model.....

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:23 am

MediumHeavy wrote:Just three weeks til the classic, right? Let’s get some info! :D
I can tell you that the new blanks will have Micro Pitch Tapering. It is designed to increase sensitivity 10-20% depending upon that specific rod model. In addition the rods best suited for bottom contact presentations will have their pivot point set near the reel seat to better improve balance. The models best suited for moving baits will have a variety of pivot points that will be varying distances from the reel seat to improve balance. this will differ from short range casting models to long range models.
In addition the guides have been upgraded to lightweight SIC stainless guides on all models.

I can also tell you that visually the look and design of the rods is stunning. It will grab some attention in shops for sure on the shelf as it just has that look to it. Its not overdone or anything at all. Just very tastefully done in true MB fashion.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 am

I am a little surprised there isnt a bfs rod in the new lineup. It seems to be getting some "mainstream" attention of late and other then Phenix, there are not really any entry/mid level USDM options for rods. I fish a lot of pretty popular spots and I get a lot of questions when I am out with a bfs combo, but lately the questions are more "oh, is that a bfs rod?", where it used to be "how are you casting a an inline spinner with that thing?".

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks, Mark!

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:49 pm

These may destroy the market in the price point :D ...and I hope they do! \:D/

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:10 pm

was looking forward to getting an updated sbs or a bfs model, hopefully it will show up on a future generation

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:38 am

Houndfish wrote:I am a little surprised there isnt a bfs rod in the new lineup. It seems to be getting some "mainstream" attention of late and other then Phenix, there are not really any entry/mid level USDM options for rods. I fish a lot of pretty popular spots and I get a lot of questions when I am out with a bfs combo, but lately the questions are more "oh, is that a bfs rod?", where it used to be "how are you casting a an inline spinner with that thing?".

MB is very interested in customer feedback. I would highly reccomend that you take a second and email MB to let them know what you want to see in future models. I always relay what I read and hear to them in this regard but I also think it is great when customers take the time and let their wishes be known. It definitely gets looked at and considered. Thanks

Just use the contact link at www.megabassusa.com

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:43 am

Big-Bass wrote:These may destroy the market in the price point :D ...and I hope they do! \:D/
I sure hope so. I cannot get over how visually stunning these rods are. Couple that with the great performance and you have an amazing rod at a great price point.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:00 am

Big ups Mark. They may have to block me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: