Delta blanks

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Kravetz
Angler
Angler

Delta blanks

Post by Kravetz » Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 am

Still waiting for some delta blanks from nfc and just wondering if they are up to snuff. So thought I'd start a new thread to voice opinions.ui

Kravetz
Angler
Angler

Re: Delta blanks

Post by Kravetz » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:37 pm

My friend just got our deltas in bout a week ago after getting a call from mr loomis himself. They look and feel sweet and are nice and straight. cant wait to try em but they probably won't get built till the winter. They have ridges on them like the top part of the original k2's and they were all built from im graphite so they are pretty light. Definitely the nicest blanks I've shook for the money

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:08 pm

obviously not good enough to change your build schedule :)

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:44 pm

I have 4 Deltas and bought them because someone on this forum said they were like IMX blanks but not sanded and he said he got that info from talking to someone at NFC on the phone. Well, NFC updated their website and have a more specific description of the deltas and it's a surprise to me that there is fiberglass in them. I have no idea how the sensitivity changes with fiberglass, but i'm pretty sure it can't be as good as a high modulus rod that doesn't have fiberglass in it. I'm sure they'll work good for froggin and crankin, but the other 2 rods I got are for flippin and swim jiggin and I'm worried I won't like them as much as I thought I would.

Here's the description on the site: "Ever committed to advancing our mantra “weight is a deterrent to performance,” North Fork Composites has done it again: Lighter. Stronger. Flex. Enter LMX-DELTA. Made up of the perfect trifecta of materials, the next pivot in action and performance has arrived. DELTA combines three technologically advanced materials to make one hybrid of graphite and glass, forming seamless junctions between materials minimizing inter-laminate sheering and adding flex. By combining our carbon-fiber LMX-PSI and LMX-LAMBDA with Zentron, an advance in S-2 fiberglass and an exclusive to NFC, naturally, some of the brittle nature of graphite is removed, adding the smooth flexibility of glass. Remarkably, the recovery of Zentron is nearly identical to graphite. DELTA simultaneously removes weight while adding strength, making this a destined combination. Designed lightweight and strong, specifically developed for aerospace to withstand impact at high velocity, its durability, strength and dramatic stiffness add a whole new dimension to rod blanks. Think Helicopter blades and Stealth Aircraft meet NFC precision fishing tools. NFC is now building lighter blanks with increased muscle and grace with LMX-DELTA. Change has come. Again."

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:12 pm

I believe the HM models are the only line that don't utilize fiberglass in some fashion. I think (don't quote) the SM and IM use a fiberglass scrim. Hard to tell from the verbage if these Delta blanks use a fiberglass scrim, fiberglass / graphite composite throughout, or glass in particular sections of the blank only.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:25 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:I believe the HM models are the only line that don't utilize fiberglass in some fashion. I think (don't quote) the SM and IM use a fiberglass scrim. Hard to tell from the verbage if these Delta blanks use a fiberglass scrim, fiberglass / graphite composite throughout, or glass in particular sections of the blank only.
Yes... only the HM blanks are rolled with the HM scrim. Everything else is built with a fiberglass scrim, but if I recall correctly, there are a couple different fiberglass scrims they use as well. Here's some info:

Regaining His Edge : Bass Rods by Gary Loomis
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Got a MB703 Delta from the 50% sale. Nice looking and light weight at 1.4 ounces. I've built a few of the old American Tackle matrix blanks for speckled trout. This has the same RDA power 242g but is 1/2 ounce lighter.

Ryan808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ryan808 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Im getting a couple Delta blanks coming my way, I'm curious to see how they perform. Any feedback on current builds?

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:02 am

Got 1st Delta about month ago. Got it ready about week ago. It's NFC MB 795-1 Delta. I'm very satisfied how it performs. Quite light, very powerful and very smooth action for cast 15-70g lures. This were first time i made carbon handles as my own. It has also new Fuji frosted silver K-series guides acid wrapped.

At second test trip i got fish of my life! New pb , pike 117cm/11,6kg!!! Rod was powerful enough to tame this kind of a monster.

Here's some pics about Delta (and that pike). Pics are bad, cause i was alone and wanted to release fish. Only camera was my Honor 6.

Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 108642 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:36 am

Nice fish!

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:26 pm

TK_duluthbass wrote:I have 4 Deltas and bought them because someone on this forum said they were like IMX blanks but not sanded and he said he got that info from talking to someone at NFC on the phone. Well, NFC updated their website and have a more specific description of the deltas and it's a surprise to me that there is fiberglass in them. I have no idea how the sensitivity changes with fiberglass, but i'm pretty sure it can't be as good as a high modulus rod that doesn't have fiberglass in it. I'm sure they'll work good for froggin and crankin, but the other 2 rods I got are for flippin and swim jiggin and I'm worried I won't like them as much as I thought I would.

Here's the description on the site: "Ever committed to advancing our mantra “weight is a deterrent to performance,” North Fork Composites has done it again: Lighter. Stronger. Flex. Enter LMX-DELTA. Made up of the perfect trifecta of materials, the next pivot in action and performance has arrived. DELTA combines three technologically advanced materials to make one hybrid of graphite and glass, forming seamless junctions between materials minimizing inter-laminate sheering and adding flex. By combining our carbon-fiber LMX-PSI and LMX-LAMBDA with Zentron, an advance in S-2 fiberglass and an exclusive to NFC, naturally, some of the brittle nature of graphite is removed, adding the smooth flexibility of glass. Remarkably, the recovery of Zentron is nearly identical to graphite. DELTA simultaneously removes weight while adding strength, making this a destined combination. Designed lightweight and strong, specifically developed for aerospace to withstand impact at high velocity, its durability, strength and dramatic stiffness add a whole new dimension to rod blanks. Think Helicopter blades and Stealth Aircraft meet NFC precision fishing tools. NFC is now building lighter blanks with increased muscle and grace with LMX-DELTA. Change has come. Again."
Not sure about loomis now, but back in the day glx was the only blank with a carbon scrim.

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Not true, the old GLoomis IMX blanks were the first rods in the world that used graphite scrim, back around '94. G Loomis brought out the GLX, at the same time they discontinued the IMX, brought out the GL2, GL3, GL4, and of course the GLX. All 3 lesser G Loomis lines had fiberglass scrim, and some years later when IMX came back it continued with fiberglass scrim, could very well be a renaming of the GL4 line to a more iconic name.
What is fiberglass scrim, anyone remember the women's scarves made with the fine see through material? The same stuff we originally made our spawn sacks out of for steelhead in the old days? Well the glass scrim is twice that fine.

Kravetz
Angler
Angler

Post by Kravetz » Wed May 02, 2018 1:31 am

The nfc deltas we built came out great and they are my buddy’s favorite rods.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed May 02, 2018 11:51 am

The lack of scrim altogether is one of the things that makes the Point Blank blanks load so well and feel so different than a blank, like any of the various Loomis heritage blanks, with a scrim. If I have to have a scrim in my blank, I will choose graphite because they usually feel more sensitive, and are lighter.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:21 pm

toddmc wrote:The lack of scrim altogether is one of the things that makes the Point Blank blanks load so well and feel so different than a blank, like any of the various Loomis heritage blanks, with a scrim. If I have to have a scrim in my blank, I will choose graphite because they usually feel more sensitive, and are lighter.
That was kinda random lol, but I feel ya. Aside from being without scrim, whatever tech PB is doing, these blanks are just the bees knees imo. I had an older RX8+ blank which was also without scrim. While it shared some of the same characteristics as the PB, it simply wasn't the same. I really hope PB offers some new models in the near future, or better yet, produces another blank even better than the current. Though I think that would be difficult to accomplish. I really have little desire to use any other blanks at the moment.