What’s your Finesse spinning rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What’s your Finesse spinning rod?

Post by accodn2ryan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:37 am

Megabass Orochi XX drop shot rod, Daiwa Tatula 7'1 MLXF, and Phenix M1 7'2 MXF. Currently only have two spinning reels to rotate between the 3 rods; Stradic Ci4 2500, and a Daiwa Lexa 2500. Looking into getting either another Stradic Ci4 or Tatula LT 2500.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:22 am

I am really liking my GLX 821S walleye series jig rod for light stuff. Don't let the "walleye" designation fool you, it works well for bass also.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:20 pm

I just moved from my reliable Daiwa TD-X Drop Shot Rod 6'10"ML to the Irod Air 6101. Tough moving on from old faithful. We will see [-o<. The Air feels great with a Sterling Tatula on it 8-)

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:31 pm

7'6 steez ags remarkably versatile.

For big water or albies and long range work Tailwalk Hitide tz 9'0

Still love to death the cork crucial drop shot 6'8 great rod...better than rods at the same price made today 10 years later.

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:07 am

Lamiglas LSJ901, a custom, custom the blank never saw a production run because they were removing their XMG50 bass rod line. They were beautifully finished in the old Espirit root beer red. Still have one blank left, in case the worst happens.
Blank is built light, with a larger diameter and thin walled like all performance rods should be.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:38 am

spoonplugger1 wrote:Lamiglas LSJ901, a custom, custom the blank never saw a production run because they were removing their XMG50 bass rod line. They were beautifully finished in the old Espirit root beer red. Still have one blank left, in case the worst happens.
Blank is built light, with a larger diameter and thin walled like all performance rods should be.
Pics please? I love my XMG50 LSJ862 that was made into a casting rod.

rocketsurgeon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rocketsurgeon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:05 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:7'6 steez ags remarkably versatile.

Still love to death the cork crucial drop shot 6'8 great rod...better than rods at the same price made today 10 years later.
I would really like to try the Hitide for throwing the flash minnow 110 out here in the surf. I think it would handle this weight class perfectly. Read your review on SOL and I think I found the "one".

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:47 am

rocketsurgeon wrote:

I would really like to try the Hitide for throwing the flash minnow 110 out here in the surf. I think it would handle this weight class perfectly. Read your review on SOL and I think I found the "one".
What impressed me the most about the rod was the guide layout....forget that it uses fancy $$$ torzites...the layout paired with a 3 or 4k shimano....( judging by the rods colors i thnk they designed it for a stella lol)
THe line just blows through the guides.

Line flows through the guides much better than how it does on rods from daiwa, loomis, shimano.

As a matter of fact someone who lays out guide spacing for one of the big brands...when casting it at night asked if it was a custom cts.

I will add...it's not a rod I'd recommend if you need to punch a bait into the wind...but 110 sized jerks aren't goin that far into the wind anyway :)

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:38 am

I use a hedgehog evoluzion. Pretty amazing rod. Considering an nrx dsr822 for the sake of comparison but I’m intrigued by the Megabass destroyer ambitious. An F0 would be a blast to fish with.

rocketsurgeon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rocketsurgeon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:53 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
rocketsurgeon wrote:

What impressed me the most about the rod was the guide layout....forget that it uses fancy $$$ torzites...the layout paired with a 3 or 4k shimano....( judging by the rods colors i thnk they designed it for a stella lol)
THe line just blows through the guides.

Line flows through the guides much better than how it does on rods from daiwa, loomis, shimano.

As a matter of fact someone who lays out guide spacing for one of the big brands...when casting it at night asked if it was a custom cts.

I will add...it's not a rod I'd recommend if you need to punch a bait into the wind...but 110 sized jerks aren't goin that far into the wind anyway :)
Thanks Scooby, I guess I might do the FB messenger thing that you talked about on SOL. In the meantime I picked up this for now, hope it's not a turd https://www.sierratradingpost.com/abu-g ... m~p~310ak/

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:33 pm

Just judging what normal price is on the Abu, you got a steal. I really doubt that a rod at that level would be a bad stick. It may not do what you want it to, but I'm sure it is a nice rod, although I have never handled it.

rocketsurgeon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rocketsurgeon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:44 pm

timinmo wrote:Just judging what normal price is on the Abu, you got a steal. I really doubt that a rod at that level would be a bad stick. It may not do what you want it to, but I'm sure it is a nice rod, although I have never handled it.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I figure if it doesn't perform well with the FM110 at least it would handle the soft plastics well. Here's to hoping it arrives unscathed, STP is notorious for poor packaging.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:47 pm

This is real easy for me......none :lol: :lol: :lol: I dont do the beaters of the egg :P

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:52 am

Timinmo I sent you a pm about the ags 7’ mlxfast.

Reel Assassin
Angler
Angler

Post by Reel Assassin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:15 pm

I have a number of finesse rods from a ML 6'6" rod from a fly rod maker that also made spinning rods years ago that no longer does to a 9'6" St. Croix that I use for Float-N-Fly. You would be amazed what that technique catches more than smallies (Big Largemouth Bass) and where it works at. :whistle:

Now for my Saltwater finesse rod, my favorite is my Cape Fear 7" M action rod. The Cape Fear is no longer made but is by far my favorite even over my St. Croix's; Its strength, sensitivity, feel, balance in my hand, is beyond compare. When I reach for an inshore spinning rod I always reach for it first! 8-)