Daiwa Alphas sv105 spool upgrade

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa Alphas sv105 spool upgrade

Post by Pastrmka » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:05 am

Did anyone upgrade alphas sv 105 stock spool to SLP works alphas sv spool, I'm wondering if it is worth the upgrade. Looks to weight 11 g and same capacity as stock spool. Looking to improve casting ability of lighter baits.
Thanks

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Daiwa Alphas sv105 spool upgrade

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:45 am

First off, welcome to the forum. I have owned a red SLPW SV105 spool and it offered no upgrade over the stock spool, unless you count the pretty colors that are available. I sold mine off after I realized that. However, it is a fantastic upgrade for any other Alphas platfom. I have 3 of the stock black spools added to a Finesse Custom, a Sol and a Type F.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:34 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:First off, welcome to the forum. I have owned a red SLPW SV105 spool and it offered no upgrade over the stock spool, unless you count the pretty colors that are available. I sold mine off after I realized that. However, it is a fantastic upgrade for any other Alphas platfom. I have 3 of the stock black spools added to a Finesse Custom, a Sol and a Type F.
Great info!

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:46 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:First off, welcome to the forum. I have owned a red SLPW SV105 spool and it offered no upgrade over the stock spool, unless you count the pretty colors that are available. I sold mine off after I realized that. However, it is a fantastic upgrade for any other Alphas platfom. I have 3 of the stock black spools added to a Finesse Custom, a Sol and a Type F.
Thanks for the replay, saved me $80 :D

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:54 am

Upgrading your bearings will help
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:50 am

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=77331

Of note is Pike's post about running the ito spool. That's one I've thought about as well. In general, it seems non-sv spools in SV reels run pretty fast. I haven't had the best luck doing it the other way around (SV spools in pre-sv reels).

Other spools worth checking out would be the 2(or is it 3?) versions of KTF spools, the cosugi spool, and rays DIY.

And as mentioned previously, running some bfs oriented bearings with light oil will definitely make a difference. I'd start there personally.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:21 pm

I got the white inductor ramp to prevent sticking (never had it stick) and was told the next step should also be BFS style bearings... I use my 105 on a ML rod for drop shot and finesse, TT said it should really help with 3/16 and under.

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:27 pm

I've upgraded bearings with HH air bearings and noticed difference. This is my all around reel for weights mostly between 1/8 and 1/2oz. It is mounted on ML rod, I mostly fish for bass and occasional pike in pressured ponds in urban area with fish mostly under 5lb. I'll probably stick with what I have for now.
Thanks for responses

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:36 am

I have a megabass zonda spool in mine