Steel SV TW vs Aldebaran 50 HG for a MBR783c?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steel SV TW vs Aldebaran 50 HG for a MBR783c?

Post by Houndfish » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:53 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Houndfish wrote:Yea, I don't mind having to flush bearings, I have an untrasonic cleaner and was going to run them in there with some acetone, then blow them out with compressed air.

I am not even really upset it didnt blow my things off, its still a great feeling reel, I just was shocked how much it feels like the sv103.
How long do you run them in the ultrasound cleaner?

I usually do for five minutes, then take them out, blast them with compressed air, and give them another five minute cycle, with another blast of air afterwards. I've never actually tried to clean factory bearings before, but I have a poor little Pixy that I use in brackish water, so I have flushed it's aftermarket bearings a few occasions. I'm honestly not even sure if I'm doing it right, but there is a somewhat noticeable difference between the BFS Air bearings pre-and post cleaning, so I think it's doing something.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:41 am

Houndfish wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Houndfish wrote:Yea, I don't mind having to flush bearings, I have an untrasonic cleaner and was going to run them in there with some acetone, then blow them out with compressed air.

I am not even really upset it didnt blow my things off, its still a great feeling reel, I just was shocked how much it feels like the sv103.
How long do you run them in the ultrasound cleaner?

I usually do for five minutes, then take them out, blast them with compressed air, and give them another five minute cycle, with another blast of air afterwards. I've never actually tried to clean factory bearings before, but I have a poor little Pixy that I use in brackish water, so I have flushed it's aftermarket bearings a few occasions. I'm honestly not even sure if I'm doing it right, but there is a somewhat noticeable difference between the BFS Air bearings pre-and post cleaning, so I think it's doing something.
Thanks. My ultrasonic cleaner has a 4.8 minute setting. I'll try your method.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 pm

I literally just made it up, so hopefully someone who actually knows what they're doing in this matter can weigh in.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Houndfish wrote:I literally just made it up, so hopefully someone who actually knows what they're doing in this matter can weigh in.
Hahaha. Well, your guess is as good as mine!

Correction. My ultrasonic cleaner runs for 480 seconds, which is 8 minutes. Doh!!! :oops: