pros/cons, steez sv tws, us or jdm model?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: pros/cons, steez sv tws, us or jdm model?

Post by Cracker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:00 pm

I really doubt what JDM reels (when we are talking about same model (Metanium MGL, Steez SV TW, Zillion TW SV)) made better than same reels for US market, AU, EU, etc. The only difference - boxes and manuals.
And I absolutely confident what USDM reels are not better than JDM counterparts.
It doesn't make sense for a reputable brand make a lesser quality product for a specific region.
I buy both, in majority cases - in Japan, just because of the prices.
I know many international anglers buy from Japan shops, and all together I think Japan shops sell more reels than US (here I'm talking about Japanese brands only).
If somebody lives, let say in London, the same reel from Japan (price + shipping) is going to cost you way cheaper than same Japanese reel from US.
Look up how much USPS charges for Express shipping to overseas!
Or compare shipping prices for one piece rod...

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:12 pm

VinnyOA wrote:You'll get more lemons if you buy a jdm reel over a USD reel.Quality control for USD reels is more severe than jdm reels.
Unsubstantiated blanket statement.
VinnyOA wrote:It doesn't make sense.The north american/USDM market is where they sell the most reels,why would they sell us reels with looser tolerances?I don't think they'd ship out reels to north America that are "lesser",knowing all the warranty/returns problems it would cause.Whereas jdm reels stay in japan so returning them to the supplier/factory is easy.This is what the Canadian distributor for a certain company has told me.
Hearsay from source with financial interests involved.
VinnyOA wrote:Talking about made in japan USDM reels.
Blanket statement, lacking any specificity.
VinnyOA wrote:Yeah that's why all my reels are MiJ but to say USDM reels are of lesser build quality than JDM reels is false.In my experience,when the japanese decide to offer a product to the north american market,it has already been out in japan,so the engineers have had time to correct hidden flaws and tweak the product using feedback from japanese buyers.Then they send them over to north America.
Argument based on false premise. If all your reels are MIJ/USDM than what experience do you have with MIJ/JDM reels. Please add specifics or offer valid references.
VinnyOA wrote:Bearings or bushings in a knob doesnt affect performance.Both will last long enough.And printed names on knobs and star drags...Do you like your coffee with two sugars or black?
I like my coffee black. You resorting to passive aggressive responses to a mod (with 3,355 more contributions to this site) won't further your invalid argument. But hey do you.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:17 pm

@VinnieOA-I beg to differ with you, as will most members here. These are facts-smooth black knobs are lighter, being cork under the urethane vs. the hard, plastic knobs with rubber coating that are heavier and less comfortable. The smooth knobs are widely accepted as being the better choice. Then there's the added weight of brass posts and no bearings vs. aluminum posts with bearings. The quickest way to improve the feel of a reel is to put a handle with bearings on it. If you don't believe me, try a Sol then try a purple Alphas. The difference in perceived smoothness is very noticeable(as well as the Alphas being much lighter), and the Alphas only has 1 bearing per knob. The printing on the knobs is yet another example of subtle attention to detail in the JDM versions that is missing in the US models. All these things combined make a product that is superior in every way. This is one of the founding tenets of TackleTour forum-Japanese tackle is just plain better than their US counterparts, with the possible exception of Shimano and Daiwa's flagship reels.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:41 pm

I buy both USDM and JDM reels and I have received several Lemons from the JDM market retailers, an Antaries 151HG it was rough as hell!, Met. MGL XG again rough as hell and a C4i+ with severe binding. The people that assembled those reels must have never checked them, or some of the retailers are selling seconds? So buyer beware!

Kurt

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:25 pm

I don't have an opinion as to which is better. The JDM certainly gets some stuff we don't {Conquest BFS being one}. I will say that from my limited manufacturing experience it would be very difficult to run two products with different tolerances thru a production process. What you add later, handles, spools, knobs, etc. is a different thing. I would say that the basic machining and casting will be the same no matter where the product is going. I could certainly be wrong and it would not be the first time.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Kurt L wrote:I buy JDM.....Antaries....buyer beware!

Kurt
Antares* :big grin:
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:31 pm

If something is watered down and uses even somewhat inferior components, does that not make it of lesser quality? There's facts, and then there is subjective opinions. Bare in mind we're only speaking of minimal difference in MOST cases, but it's certainly there, whether someone chooses to believe it or not. We can argue all day as to the sensitivity of a JDM rod vs it's USDM counterpart - SUBJECTIVE. Any REASONABLE person can take a look at the build quality and say yep, this one is put together better. Most JDM rods utilise guides with SIC inserts, while the USDM counterpart will use alconite inserts. Are SIC inserts not better than alconites? Why do they cost more money? Get a grip man

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:02 pm

It's not really about JDM vs USDM to me. It's about price and features. I do my own maintenance and warranty work. The JDM reels are usually cheaper right now. Buy JDM if you are not worried about sending a reel back to Japan. I've never had or seen a bad Steez. I don't think that there is a difference between the two in this case, unless you want the faster JDM only ratio.
I only buy JDM reels when they have a better price and/or option(s) that I am looking for. I tend to like shallower spools and bearings in my I-shape handle knobs, but I often have to buy a 90mm handle to replace the shorter JDM handles. It's cheaper to do the later. You have to weigh the options in any economic decision. I'm not the first, or the last, economist to say this. ;)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:16 pm

VinnyOA wrote:Most jdm rods use SiC inserts lol most rods use whatever inserts cost the lease for the price of the rod.
This statement clearly shows that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to fishing gear. Yes, more often than not JDM rods come with SIC guides at minimum. So without this example the consumer is getting more bang for your buck. I could list numerous examples as Tim did, but at this point I'm wasting my time. Cost has little to do with it. When the NRX was introduced it was known for poor quality control. If it was put together by the folks at Shimano Japan, I'd bet these QC issues rarely happened. I'm happy you're happy with your riveted, rubber knobs, but most folks aren't. Not around here anyways. Oh wait, I guess Daiwa chose these because it was the least expensive knobs. Certainly doesn't mean it's of lesser quality though. Only weighs 3X as much as the cork knobs and isn't removable. I'm not sure if you're just playing devil's advocate, or you're just extremely opinionated and uneducated, basing your thoughts on your one bicycle experience. I've recently entered the world of high end, audiophile headphones. Being a noob I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of arguing with some of the most educated and experienced people in that area of expertise, but I can tell you this. Having Audio Technica headphones made in China for the US market against my Audio Technica headphones made in Japan for the Japanese market, there is absolutely no comparison in terms of build quality, materials, and sound. People who are particular about rod and reel build quality often turn to the JDM market for a reason.
I apologize for getting off track in this thread. I encourage everyone to stay on track as I intend to do moving forward. Buy what you like. It's your money.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:17 pm

VinnyOA wrote:Of course many rods are only available in japan but that doesn't make them better.I can build a K2 blank with the same guides and dork real seats and it will be just as good as a jdm version of the rod.
I only use custom rods and I'm failing to see how this is relevant.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm

VinnyOA wrote:Of course many rods are only available in japan but that doesn't make them better.I can build a K2 blank with the same guides and dork real seats and it will be just as good as a jdm version of the rod.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions here. But if you came here soley to instigate arguments, there are other forums that tolerate that sort of thing. A civil discussion is fine, but stop with the arguing.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 pm

VinnyOA wrote:So you are comparing a made in china audio technica headphone to a made in japan audio technica headphone.What's the relevance to us debating both made in japan rods like the Levante and the hyuga?Bad analogy.Both these rods are almost identical.Only aesthetics are different.But they are both made in japan and i'd be hard pressed to see if you'd notice any differences performance wise.Oh btw juste because something is made in china doesn't mean it's trash,that's kinda biased if you ask me.My made in china M14s as just as good as my Springfield armory M14s.One costs 600$ the other 1800$.Performance wise they are almost identical.
It's supposed to read Japan. Typing from my phone - Auto predict.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:11 pm

VinnyOA wrote:I'm not arguing I'm debating .I think the fishing industry as a whole could benefit from this.
I think you're just trying to ruffle feathers. I'm sure others do as well, which is likely why they stopped posting on this thread.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm

VinnyOA wrote:Nah fam im saying what i know if you're triggered that's your problem.Up to now nothing you said countered anything I said.
Your ignorance is apparent to everyone but you. As a moderator here, it is not only my right, but my job to mitigate argumentive behavior. What I said wasn't a suggestion-stop with the argumentive tone towards others here.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:55 pm

VinnyOA wrote:Nah fam im saying what i know if you're triggered that's your problem.Up to now nothing you said countered anything I said.
I thought you said you weren't being argumentative :-k
Are you twelve? Triggered? Wow. Just quit while you still have a chance to remain a member of this forum.