Saltstrong abrasion test

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Shaft
Angler
Angler

Saltstrong abrasion test

Post by Shaft » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:27 pm

The saltstrong guys done a clever abrasion test with sandpaper on a dowel rod. In their tests, mono proved to be more abrasion resistant than flouro. I'm going to start using mono more often as leader material. I know I'll get better knot strength. Anyone use mono as leader over flouro? Check out the abrasion test on saltstrong. They do braid, flouro, and mono. We all know we're probably not going to see any line tests on here anytime soon.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Saltstrong abrasion test

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:59 pm

Maxima Ultra Green has been a staple leader material over here in Aus for many many years - floats and works good as a leader for poppers and surface walkers - also good refractive index so blends in well in water.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:37 am

Not all mono, fluoro, or braid have the same abrasion resistance. All kinds of different resins and materials are used. It is moronic to think that all mono is more abrasion resistant than fluoro because this is just not the case. The guy in the video didn't even do a good job of controlling for diameter. Try Sunline Shooter and you will see how hard it is. A good way to get a feel for how hard/abrasion resistant a line may be is to put it between your teeth and bite on it.
I mocked up all kinds of abrasion tests similar to the video with different bulk spools of mono when I worked in a tackle shop in the late 80's and early 90's. I would take the bulk spools of line and hang 5lb. rock cod weights while rubbing the line with various objects. The Maxima Ultragreen was among the best, but Trilene XT was the winner. I tested all of the popular monos available in bulk at the time.
Harder fluoros are less likely to get deep nicks from abrasion than most mono, but it is my theory that the fluoros become weaker than mono that has the same depth nick/cut in it because most fluoro tends to be able to stretch less without permanently deforming than mono. I've never seen this thoroughly tested, but someone may have done it by now.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:42 am

I don't need a test to be able to tell which is more abrasion resistant. Go fish some riprap or rocks. You will quickly see that the harder flouros like Shooter or Superhard Upgrade do not get nearly as nicked up as softer fluoros or nylon lines. If you have any rock in the lakes around you, try it out. To me, it was a night and day difference.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Slazmo wrote:Maxima Ultra Green has been a staple leader material over here in Aus for many many years - floats and works good as a leader for poppers and surface walkers - also good refractive index so blends in well in water.
X2

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:36 pm

I watched it.

I don't really spool up with the stretchy stuff and generally just use it as leader

I tried a bunch of monos and always looked at fluoro as a waste of money. I still do for many applications.

But After being disappointed in a slew of insert mono fluro model here............... I tried p line halo.
Only mono I use now for fw bass is Maxxima Ultra green, chameleon (because i still have 2 3300 yard spools) and big game
And that halo crap is strangely tough.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:03 pm

I'm not going to look at the test because I don't care - but did they test wet or dry? - that can change everything.

Yes, I have seen some monos more abrasion resistant than some Fluoros.

However, fluoro abrasion resistance trumps most monos. It depends on what model of line you are looking at.

And yes, some monos do have abrasion resistant additives.

Shaft
Angler
Angler

Post by Shaft » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:50 pm

They said they soaked the lines and the sandpaper they used was soaked too. I just found their simple test interesting. I've used both flouro and mono as a leader in the past. I like them both for different applications. I'm guessing shooter would do better, would be a nice test to see. I've tested tons of knots with different lines the past few years. I've had much better fg knot strength with most monos. Fg isn't as good with hard flouro like shooter, I can't get it to bite sometimes. I've also had trouble with really slick braids with the Fg. Fx2 and sx1 grip with the fg really well for me. I've tested enough knots on a scale to know what I have confidence in when I'm throwing a really expensive bait on a leader. I've just been waiting for another line review on this site for years. I really enjoy them. Thought some people might like to see saltstrong's line test. I guess people's strong opinions and calling things moronic is why we get reveiws on zebco 33's enstead of a long overdue line review

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:55 am

Shaft wrote: Thought some people might like to see saltstrong's line test. I guess people's strong opinions and calling things moronic is why we get reveiws on zebco 33's enstead of a long overdue line review
I think is a bit of a stretch (pun intended) to fish a specific brand of line, or type of material because of a poorly controlled test. They should at least have controlled line diameter as much as possible. Most tests are worth seeing, but it isn't very smart to jump to conclusions when a test is that bad. Sorry for pointing out the obvious.
The reality is that really good line tests aren't easy to do. That is probably one of the reasons why TT hasn't done a new line test. Besides that, people will complain when their favorite line or knot isn't tested, or their favorite does poorly.