Edge Black Widow blanks

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Edge Black Widow blanks

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:39 pm

I have seen two different blanks used on these rods at the same price...IM vs. HM. What is the difference and is the price worth it? I have an older Wiebe IMX rod that is basically like new...would it be worth spending/finding an Edge rod to match with? I just got a Steez 6'7" MH rod (2005-2006 rod in basically like new condition) for $150 (I think it was a good deal) so I want to see how these rods compare. Than you!

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Edge Black Widow blanks

Post by Winstondry » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:23 am

While I can’t speak with experience about the “First Strike” series, I do have a few of the “Black Widow” rods and am more than happy with them. Again, speaking only from my experience with the BW, I would probably equate the BW to an NRX and the FS to a GLX, especially the older sanded unfinished Loomis rods. In another post I made on a similar topic, I mentioned that I actually like the Carbon like handles on the BW, they almost seem to add a little sensitivity to the overall rods. I might add that I’m very fond of G Loomis rods and have owned most of their series except for the new Conquest rods.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:45 am

I wonder how they compare to the Orochi XX as well. Any input. I missed the deal on the one I wanted but oh well. I have heard mixed reviews of the two blanks they use. I heard the HG were great and the IM was okay.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:04 pm

I don't own any of Gary's rod builds, but I have both NFC IM (Intermediate) and HM (High). The Edge rods are built around these same blanks. I've also owned one XX, the Spinnerbait Special. I feel the IM blanks are on par with the XX, while the HM blanks are noticeably better. We all know this matter is rather subjective, however the HM blanks felt more crisp and alive to me. The IM blanks are built utilizing a fiberglass scrim material, where as the HM blanks are scrimless, in turn making them a little lighter across the board.
I've found from my experience that the HM blanks take a back seat to only the Point Blank and Phenix K2 rod blanks. I'm sure many will argue those findings, but this has been my experience.
For what it's worth, many have compared the K2 blanks to the Megabass X7 line, and most people believe the X7s are the most sensitive blanks Megabass produced. From what I can gather, the general consensus is that the NRX blanks are the cream of the crop, and the NFC HM blanks are a notch or two below those.
If you are wanting a rod for bottom contact, I'd recommend the HM line for sure
Moving bait rod, the IM serves nicely. The only off the shelf rods I still own are the Poison Adrena, and I would slate those right between the NFC IM and HM, though the overall tapers are quite different.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:12 pm

I have one "First Strike",it's nice rod,but softer then any GLX or IMX...more like CBR...Also got two rods on NFC blanks,-FW series,-one (SM) similar to G Loomis Trout rods,another (IM) more close to IMX ... All rods very sensitive and with solid backbone.
Mr Garry still doing the best staff! Megabass is better? Maybe for somebody,-not for me [-X :mrgreen:

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:14 am

Picked up a BWC MBR 705 for $229 last night and hoping when it arrives that it is nice. Not sure how it will be but the site I got it from only had two left and figured I would take a chance. Looks like it is rated for 14-20 1/4 - 3/4 vs. the TT review which is 8-20 and 1/4 - 3/4. This one has the IM blank in the description and I think I might have to use a reel foot protector since the Wiebe style real seats don't have a sleeve in them and even TT said it could mar up the reels.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:13 pm

Congrats on the Pickup Big ass ;). I picked up several IM first strikes myself last month. I was impressed. A model or Two was med-fast, but just great blanks. These black widow mh's I just received are labeled IM but feel totally different. More med-fast but waay lighter of a blank than the IM's on my first strikes. Regardless...these are amazing rods. If you don't like the rod, shoot me a pm.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:02 am

Spell check? Or an insult? LOL :D