Curado K gears

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Curado K gears

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:06 am

ACE 2 does not dry out. Maybe you are not applying it correctly so the grease is leaving the gear and being thrown to the inside of the side plate? DG6 is a lighter grease for use in certain bearing applications. It is not recommended for use on our gear sets.

The factory is now using more grease during assembly of the Metanium model reels. We noticed there seemed to be too little grease on the gear set. When we replace gears in our repair department we apply grease to 1/2 of the drive gear. I pack it into the teeth and wipe the excess off. My personal reels do not buzz by performing this. If the gears do not feel right, and you have tried to grease them to no help, it means the gears are in need of replacement.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:08 am

Hmm. I have some pretty good grease that I use, and with better results than anything Ive EVER seen. No matter what I do, I cant get Shimanos new reels to stop buzzing. That must be some magical stuff you guys got there. Some crazy technology that you guys put into the gears that only one kind of grease will quiet them down. Heck, my only solution was to tell people to start buying something else. :-k
<")))><{

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:47 pm

I have found that when I walk up to the river a find a pool that is stacked with fish I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours of use before my Mets get gritty feeling with ACE2, however with DG06 in the same scenario I can go days without giving it a second thought and they are much smoother on it as well, I knew it's is not designed for Bait casting reels but in this instance it works!

The heaviest line I use on my Mets. is 10lb test so they are not being beat on, they still look as though they are fresh out of the box. but I have found them to require more maintenance than any other reel I own, and this gets to be a nuisance when the runs are peaking and I have to maintain equipment for many others as well.

I'm hoping the brass gears may be the silver bullet because they are my favorite LP reel to this point, I have had zero issues with them other than that and there have been lots of 30 plus fish days.

Kurt

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Well my Shimano order showed up today and instead of two Brass drive gears I received two nice, possibly Tranx double paddle handles with the pick slip and packing slip both labeled Drive Gear, bummer! I was hoping to try the conversion out this weekend, Oh well I will call customer service again Monday. I did get the pinion I ordered though!

Kurt
Last edited by Kurt L on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:04 pm

So incorrect parts picking isnt just an Australian thing :doh:

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Kurt L wrote:Well my Shimano order showed up today and instead of two Brass drive gears I received two nice, possibly Tranx double paddle handles with the pick slip and packing slip both labeled Drive Gear, bummer! I was hoping to try the conversion out this weekend, Oh well I will call customer service again Monday. I did get the pinion I ordered though!

Kurt
For sale??? lmao

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:48 pm

I received and installed new brass drive gears with new pinions gears in both my Met. 13 and MGL Lefty XG's, The XG part number for the lefty drive gear is BNT5754, you also must change your large drag washer or trim the old one down a hair.
Initially both were a tiny bit rough but both of them smoothed right out after a little couch fishing the 13 is now very smooth and the MGL is close as well but it was never as smooth as the 13 even after Shimano replaced the gears under warranty it has never been as good as my 13 but they are closer now. So we'll see how the durability goes.

Kurt

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:20 pm

My 13 was never smooth, I got the HG and then purchased 6:2 metanium gears and it was a bit better.
Now I purchased the Curado K gears and its way better.
My MGL XG is a little smoother, maybe I just got a good one

Anymore instead of adding grease around only half the main gear, I now do the whole gear.
It seems to keep its smoothness a little longer also....

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:34 pm

Bantam1 wrote:I carry a Strider...but have love for Spyderco. Aside from cool knives...
I like Strider except for the sticky locks and super thick blade.

If you want precision smoothness and perfect lock-up get a Chris Reeves :big grin:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:55 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:My 13 was never smooth, I got the HG and then purchased 6:2 metanium gears and it was a bit better.
Now I purchased the Curado K gears and its way better.
My MGL XG is a little smoother, maybe I just got a good one

Anymore instead of adding grease around only half the main gear, I now do the whole gear.
It seems to keep its smoothness a little longer also....
I agree.
Adding too much grease will just cause it to be squeezed on the first couple of handle turns, because there just isn't room for a lot of grease when the two gears mesh.
I apply the grease to the entire main gear and pinion, using a finer bristled brush to force it down into the gullets.
I only grease the gear teeth, and wipe off any excess from the sides of the main gear, so it can't migrate to the drag area.
It lasts as long as anything else I've tried.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:58 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Bantam1 wrote:I carry a Strider...but have love for Spyderco. Aside from cool knives...
I like Strider except for the sticky locks and super thick blade.

If you want precision smoothness and perfect lock-up get a Chris Reeves :big grin:

I'm telling you, if you would just go back to cheap gear, and send your more expensive gear to me, to be disposed of properly, you guys wouldn't have to go into the field so well heeled. ;)

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:50 am

Has anyone tried fitting the curado k gears into a Daiwa reel?

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Salty Parrot wrote:Has anyone tried fitting the curado k gears into a Daiwa reel?
why ?

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:13 pm

johnD wrote:
Salty Parrot wrote:Has anyone tried fitting the curado k gears into a Daiwa reel?
why ?
For micromodule

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:36 am

Salty Parrot wrote:
johnD wrote:
why ?
For micromodule
It's not gonna work.