Rod decisions....the struggle is real!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Carruth8
Angler
Angler

Rod decisions....the struggle is real!

Post by Carruth8 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:11 am

So I’m looking into getting another rod, an all purpose casting rod, as I fish out of a kayak & like to keep my rods around 7ft. Right now I’m currently looking at a Daiwa Zillion, Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier & the Dobyns Champion Extreme HP. Now, I already own a Daiwa Tatula & there seems to be quite the debate about the differences btw the Tatula & the Zillion, if any at all. I’ve never owned an Abu Garcia rod, but have read mixed reviews about the company, not the Fantasista Premier rod itself. Granted there is large price discrepancy btw the Zillion & Champion Extreme HP, but of those 3 rods, I would value anyone’s input concerning these 3! Thanks guys!

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Rod decisions....the struggle is real!

Post by godshippy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:36 am

I can easily recommend a Dobyns Champion Extreme because I fish them. I've tried quite a few different brands over the years, and it comes down to accessibility, comfort, performance, and warranty.

I'd imagine that fishing from a kayak can potentially lead to more broken rods than if fishing off the bank or a full-size boat. That being said, Dobyns carries a very simple no hassle replacement warranty that I would take advantage of. I've been pretty careful with all my equipment, but lately I've really just been banging them around without any care and they have held up exceedingly well. *knocks on wood*

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:49 am

Which Dobyns model are you looking at in the HP lineup?

I don't think I have ever seen or held a zillion rod but have done so on the Fantasista and own an HP as well as quite a few other Dobyns.

Based on looks alone, I would lean towards the Dobyns between the two. I prefer cork over EVA and although the amount of EVA is minimal on the Fantasista, it has enough to make me weary.
Last edited by lape0019 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:56 am

Hp line of dobyns is a great rod. I have had great success with various models, including 703c, 744c, 745c and 784cml!

Carruth8
Angler
Angler

Post by Carruth8 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:27 am

lape0019 wrote:Which Dobyns model are you looking at in the HP lineup?

I don't think I have ever seen or help a zillion rod but have done so on the Fantasista and own an HP as well as quite a few other Dobyns.

Based on looks alone, I would lean towards the Dobyns between the two. I prefer cork over EVA and although the amount of EVA is minimal on the Fantasista, it has enough to make me weary.
I was looking at either the 703C or the 704C. The only thing that makes me leery of the 704C is that it may be a bulkier rod b/c it’s an heavy powered rod. The rod selection in Mississippi is terrible & have no way to compare rods.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 am

Are you open to other suggestions of brands/models that will add versatility to your kayak arsenal? Or you only looking for feedback on the specific ones you listed?

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:13 am

Closest thing I have to compare is the DX 743 HP. I typically use this rod for chatterbaits but it is excellent for lighter texas rigs, Senkos, smaller jigs and I would assume spinnerbaits since it does very well with the chatterbait.

For jigs, the 743 can be used comfortably for me up to 3/8 plus trailer but even then, I prefer to use the 745. If I had a 744, I would probably use that instead for anything over 3/8 plus trailer in the jig realm just because I fish heavy cover a lot.

So now it really comes down to your intended use and the weight range. I can say the HP series definitely has more backbone that the original lineup which is a good thing.

Carruth8
Angler
Angler

Post by Carruth8 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:37 am

Kschultz76 wrote:Are you open to other suggestions of brands/models that will add versatility to your kayak arsenal? Or you only looking for feedback on the specific ones you listed?
I’m always open to suggestions. I’ve never been the type who finds 1 great brand of reel or rod and then buys six more of the same one.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:15 am

There’s a pretty large spread of price ranges among the rods you’re looking at. In that range I’d recommend you hang on and see what the new Megabass Orochi XX series will offer, the originals are fantastic rods with several being very versatile and multipurpose. If you could still find an original Diablo Spec R I’d snatch it up. Others options I’d also consider would be a Kistler Helium 3 MHXF (4 power) for an all purpose, they’re running a 20% off sale right now. Another great and classic all purpose stick would be a Loomis GLX MBR 843 or 844 depending on lure size and cover, the guys at The Tackle Trap have good deals on rep samples of these sticks and they’re a nice stick.

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 am

I have several Dobyns and five Abu fantasista rods. I can say to go with the Dobyns. Both rods are good but the Donny’s just provides that something extra. Not sure what to call it, but it does feel more refined.

Carruth8
Angler
Angler

Post by Carruth8 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:52 am

Kschultz76 wrote:There’s a pretty large spread of price ranges among the rods you’re looking at. In that range I’d recommend you hang on and see what the new Megabass Orochi XX series will offer, the originals are fantastic rods with several being very versatile and multipurpose. If you could still find an original Diablo Spec R I’d snatch it up. Others options I’d also consider would be a Kistler Helium 3 MHXF (4 power) for an all purpose, they’re running a 20% off sale right now. Another great and classic all purpose stick would be a Loomis GLX MBR 843 or 844 depending on lure size and cover, the guys at The Tackle Trap have good deals on rep samples of these sticks and they’re a nice stick.
I’ve always wanted a Megabass rod & really would love to get the new Destroyer, but they have just been a little out of my price range. The Orochi is nice rod. I am a little peculiar about my rods though. First when I’m looking for in a rod is they have to be a split grip, Second-(A) the reviews pertaining to the rods sensitivity & quality, Second-(B) is the aesthetics. With the Dobyns Champ Extreme HP at $339 & the Megabass Destroyer is $399, the $60 difference doesn’t seem like much, but unfortunately Megabass rods are never on sale when TW has 20% off sales.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:04 am

Mate if Shipping isn't an issue I'd be looking at the Samurai Rods Refration and Infinite, amazing rods, designed in Australia with top quality components: Titanium SiC guides on the Refractions and micro Titanium Torzites on the Infinite. Great rods, I own 3 Myself (Refration and Reaction (spinning versions).
The Infinite is $499 Aud and the Refration is $449 Aud.