Is there a better choice for me then sunline natural

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Is there a better choice for me then sunline natural

Post by DetroitBassN » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:44 pm

I been using 12lb Sunline Natural and love how limp and workable the line is however it tends to crimp up after some fishing creating weak points in your line where it can potentially snap and you lose a 20 plus dollar lure. Because of this I find myself respooling often. I fish almost strictly topwater year round but I go out with one setup and been sticking with the same line. My question is there another line that is just as supple as the natural but won't form crimps as easy? I use a JDM Steez 103HL exclusively. I fish top water 90% of the time but will bust out a worm or soft jerkbait every so often. Sunline Natural has been pretty good for me all around in 12lb if anyone can think of a better mono I might like that may even sit on my 103HL better please let me know.

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is there a better choice for me then sunline natural

Post by bigturtle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 pm

What do you mean by crimp?

I personally use 30lb braid to a 14lb sufix elite mono leader. Iv used the elite for a few years and really like it. Not as supple as super natural, but im using it as a leader so it doesnt matter to me.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:01 am

Absolutely! Sunline Defier. Not the Armillo, the original green. Best line ever produced. Maintains its shape incredibly well, casts even better than natural. Premium line at a premium price. Backing is your friend :big grin:

DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Post by DetroitBassN » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:21 pm

By crimp I mean crimp.

Is there anywhere that sells bulk spools of Defier?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:49 pm

DetroitBassN wrote:By crimp I mean crimp.

Is there anywhere that sells bulk spools of Defier?
I haven't found any.

DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Post by DetroitBassN » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks. Yeah that's pricey but ill buy a spool of it and if it outlasts how much I change natural ill make the switch. All I use for backing on my JDM Steez 103HL is a thin piece of electrical tape. Small spool so ill probably be able to spool twice. Surprised they don't sell a bulk spool but at that price ouch.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 pm

Another vote for Defier (green box). You won't be disappointed, but just make sure to look at the line diameter before you buy.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:33 am

Another vote for Defier, their 12 # is the cat's meow.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 pm

I prefer Sunline Armilo, high quality, low stretch nylon line, second - Daiwa TD Sensor
Defier has more stretch vs Armilo as I recall correctly.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Cracker wrote:I prefer Sunline Armilo, high quality, low stretch nylon line, second - Daiwa TD Sensor
Defier has more stretch vs Armilo as I recall correctly.
It does, but the OP seemed more concerned with deformity and longevity. OG Defier is a clear winner here.

RazorCat
Angler
Angler

Post by RazorCat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:29 pm

I can’t say I’ve ever had a single issue with Sunline Super Natural crimping on me. Best mono I’ve ever used, and I get away with using Line that’s 2 sizes larger than the Trilene XL it replaced.
I will have to try Defier in the future since it comes highly recommended.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:49 pm

I use regular Defier, Evergreen HD, Toray Polyamide and Super Natural. If the Defier and Toray is too pricey for you, i think the Evergreen HD is a good alternative because they handle, perform and last just almost the same. I still use a lot of the Super Natural for reels that plans to get respooled often and i buy them in 3300yrd.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:08 am

I've only used 10# Super Natural and it is on a reel that doesn't see a lot of use. I did have 8# P-Line CX break on me down in the spool. I assumed it was from backlashing. Quite possible from kinking (a crimp?). Was when I was learning to use a baitcast reel.

Can't say if they would perform better, but AN40 and Elite have treated me well. I also use a lot of Siege. Trilene XL is another soft line. I am testing some McCoy Mean Green. Might be another possibility for you to try.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:40 am

As much as it pains my wallet, ;) . Defier is the best mono/copolymer ever produced. Nothing comes close. There is no #2. Next in line is a distant 3rd. 8-)

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:25 pm

I am like everyone in that I love the feel of the Defier, but I have a hard time fishing most nylons anymore because I got used to the decreased stretch of Shooter and Sniper fluoro. The Super Natural has stretch that is very similar to the Defier, which is fine if you don't need to move a big fish quickly away from cover/structure.
I recently put some Defier that I had laying around on a setup to fish in the golf course ponds in back of the house. I'm usually hoping to rip big fish off of the edges of tules, grass, and lily pads. I feel like the Defier and Super Natural give me a lot less control vs. the Armilo on a long cast and around heavy cover. The stretch of the Defier Armilo is close to the fairly low stretch of Sniper, that is why I use it for topwater other than frogs. I go to braid If I have to fish exclusively in the middle of heavy cover.
The Super Natural is good, and a solid value, but definitely not the best.