Whose on top!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rcdemel
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Whose on top!

Post by rcdemel » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Certainly no expert here, but I am pretty much at that stage in life where I am fortunate to be able to purchase pretty much what I want as long as i can justify it with my wife(she is a very understanding person). We are certainly fortunate to have so many great rods available nowadays and the choices seem endless. As an old accountant, I keep finding myself going back to actual value. While I have certainly acquired my fair share of premium rods, Kistler Rods always keep popping up on my must have list. I have a fair number of their Helium 3 rods and, for the price, they are superb. American made blanks, lightweight and cast-ability-what more could you ask for? I have been fishing Kistler rods for years and have no complaints or failures. Every time I buy a premium rod from a different manufacturer I find myself comparing it to my Kistlers and find them coming up short. The only other rods I have purchased recently that stack up have been made by Waterloo in Victoria, Texas. They are probably best known for their inshore rods, but they work great for square bills and other crankbaits not to mentioned their intended target species of reds and specs. Both companies make state-of-the-art rods that are brand USA. They are sensitive, lightweight and definitely a great value.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:32 pm

rcdemel wrote:Certainly no expert here, but I am pretty much at that stage in life where I am fortunate to be able to purchase pretty much what I want as long as i can justify it with my wife(she is a very understanding person). We are certainly fortunate to have so many great rods available nowadays and the choices seem endless. As an old accountant, I keep finding myself going back to actual value. While I have certainly acquired my fair share of premium rods, Kistler Rods always keep popping up on my must have list. I have a fair number of their Helium 3 rods and, for the price, they are superb. American made blanks, lightweight and cast-ability-what more could you ask for? I have been fishing Kistler rods for years and have no complaints or failures. Every time I buy a premium rod from a different manufacturer I find myself comparing it to my Kistlers and find them coming up short. The only other rods I have purchased recently that stack up have been made by Waterloo in Victoria, Texas. They are probably best known for their inshore rods, but they work great for square bills and other crankbaits not to mentioned their intended target species of reds and specs. Both companies make state-of-the-art rods that are brand USA. They are sensitive, lightweight and definitely a great value.

I just got the helium 3 Med 8-1/2 and 8-12lbs for my pxt-r..
I just pulled the trigger man.. I am very excited and to answer your question of "what more can you ask for" sensitivity and those rods have certainly delivered.. I can't wait to fish with it on SAT
I think the H3 rods are the ghost of rods..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:34 pm

the javelin has my attention at the moment. i will also purchase a mod fastish rod in the near future for 1-2oz baits.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:43 am

bigfruits wrote:the javelin has my attention at the moment. i will also purchase a mod fastish rod in the near future for 1-2oz baits.
Z- I think I'd turn a Kayak over trying to toss a 2oz bait :D

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:40 pm

ha! its pretty hard to flip those things, you gotta really try or get into a hairy situation...

there are only 2 lakes i would spend time throwing small hard swimbaits in my area (if you call a 2 hr drive "my area") and we usually bring a boat on those lakes. ive done 4oz+ in the bay on a kayak and stayed upright though!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:19 pm

so the rod is the kistler h3 and after getting it in my hand today i almost pulled the trigger and brought another.
i said i was done with rods and i’m a man of my word so if i buy the same rod that i already have i’m cloning. lol
i have a pxtr on it and it’s suuuuuuper light. i’m sure to put this rod through some paces tomorrow i have my 50E with bfs spool on stand by to use a different reel
man. i’m going to be up early so i’ll let you guys know
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:43 am

I've never really thought about who's on top but more so on what do I want. I have run Dobyns rods for years and I really cannot complain but I would like the try a few new things out.

I also have an 893 NRX and a XX Jerkbait special. one was bought because I wanted sensitivity and the other was bought because I couldn't find a rod I liked in the Dobyns lineup for jerkbaits.

This year, I want to up my game and get a more sensitive Drop shot rod. I'm pretty set on getting an Addermine but only time will tell since I usually end up wanting 5 different rods between the time I originally decide on a rod and the time I actually buy one.

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:15 pm

steez rd skyray racing tune and the new mb xx

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:50 am

The new Megabass destroyer addermine is one sweet stick. It filled the void in my arsenal to a t!