Small Swimbait Rod Choice

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Small Swimbait Rod Choice

Post by wilddog66 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:01 pm

I’m a bank fisherman just getting into swimbaits, and looking for a rod for throwing hard plastic treble hook baits from 3/4 oz. up to about 2.5 oz. Prefer lengths from 7’2 to 7’6, mod-fast, with a full cork grip if possible. Normal guides, no micros. Line will probably be 20lb Super Natural or 22lb Defier. I have narrowed it down to 3 possible choices:

G Loomis E6X 884C SWB. The only one of the three I’ve handled, power/taper felt OK but was quite tip-heavy. Some concern regarding the 2oz upper lure wt spec.

G Loomis IMX-PRO 904C SWB. Compared to the E6X 884, the extra 2” appears to be in the lower grip, does it balance and handle better?

MB Hyuga 72H. A thing of beauty! I could live with that split foam grip if I had to.

If anyone has handled these rods and could offer comparisons I would appreciate your replies.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Small Swimbait Rod Choice

Post by wilddog66 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:33 am

I am adding the Dobyns 794SB to my list.

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:33 am

if you're open to the idea of a custom built rod take a look at building one on a Phenix X-13 blank. I use mine for the exact same size of baits you're looking to throw. good luck on your decision making, lets us know what you ended up with

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:29 pm

I picked up a Hyuga 72H a month ago for more or less the same purpose, but also soft swimbaits in the same range. I do not have a lot of time on the water with it yet and no catches to speak of, but I love how it casts and fishes pretty much every lure in the 1/2 to 2.5oz range I have tried it with. I also fish from the bank a ton and didn't want to deal with a longer rod. I agree about the split grip, but it is perfect so far in every other aspect.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:12 pm

How comfortable is the Hyuga’s reel seat? The MB Japan website shows minor finger placement indentions. Not as prominent as the Fuji ACS, which feels terrible to me.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:29 pm

robsone79 wrote:if you're open to the idea of a custom built rod take a look at building one on a Phenix X-13 blank. I use mine for the exact same size of baits you're looking to throw. good luck on your decision making, lets us know what you ended up with
Looking to build on this blank to use for 10xds as smaller swim baits. Something to compliment my dobyns 806.

floriduhfish
Angler
Angler

Post by floriduhfish » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:53 am

the imx 904 is awesome for hard baits. i had a 904 in the regular Gloomis swimbait rod it was perfect for those lure weights. I use a daiwa zillion swimbait rod for those weights now its the 8ft mh.

Reel Assassin
Angler
Angler

Post by Reel Assassin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Go to a shop and handle them all to see which feels best in your hands.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Reel Assassin wrote:Go to a shop and handle them all to see which feels best in your hands.
It’s hard to find a shop in NE Georgia that stocks any swimbait sticks, hence the reason for this request. Tackle Trap would be the closest one, it’s abour 4 hrs away.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:51 pm

wilddog66 wrote:How comfortable is the Hyuga’s reel seat? The MB Japan website shows minor finger placement indentions. Not as prominent as the Fuji ACS, which feels terrible to me.
I find it pretty comfortable, but I also like the ACS seat a lot. I can try to get a stright profile pic of it if you would like.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:58 pm

wilddog66 wrote:
Reel Assassin wrote:Go to a shop and handle them all to see which feels best in your hands.
It’s hard to find a shop in NE Georgia that stocks any swimbait sticks, hence the reason for this request. Tackle Trap would be the closest one, it’s abour 4 hrs away.
Easily sorted. Speak to Tackle Trap about local lakes, visit shop, handle a selection of quality products, get expert advice and then buy the rod of your choice, spend time fishing. Drive home happy a day or so later. Good luck whatever you decide.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 pm

Sore Thumb wrote:
wilddog66 wrote:
Easily sorted. Speak to Tackle Trap about local lakes, visit shop, handle a selection of quality products, get expert advice and then buy the rod of your choice, spend time fishing. Drive home happy a day or so later. Good luck whatever you decide.
:-k Yea I was thinking road trip for the weekend also. During the winter why not, other than right now with all the ice.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:22 am

angry john wrote:Yea I was thinking road trip for the weekend also. During the winter why not, other than right now with all the ice.
It’s time for a road trip to Tackle Trap, probably next week.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:17 pm

Made my road trip to Tackle Trap, and purchased the Hyuga 72H. I think it will be perfect for it's intended use. Casts travel 2 doors down the street with 1.5 oz. Should look and perform just amazing with the new Bantam!

Thank You to the guys at Tackle Trap for your help with this decision.