Tatula model differences question ...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Tatula model differences question ...

Post by uljersey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:02 am

I'm putting together a new lipless crank combo ... rod choice is irrelevant at this point, I want to pick some of your brains about the Tatula.

My current lipless rig has the legendary (but long discontinued) Daiwa TDA 153HSTLA ... great reel for this application, it will stay in service.

Looking at the Tatulas, the base model Tatula model # Tatula100HSL vs the CT model Tact100HSL ... is the only significant difference between the 2 (beside the price) the fact that the CT is a slightly smaller profile ? The base model is usually a few dollars more than it's CT brother (I know it just went on clearance on TW and is the same price currently) but wondering what the basic differences are. Spool capacities are pretty much in line with each other and a slight weight difference, which is a non factor for me.

I already own a CT Type R in the 8:1 ratio, I'm no stranger to the Tatula or it's performance, was just curious about the base model vs the CT, or is this just a case of Daiwa perhaps having too much diversity within a platform ?

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tatula model differences question ...

Post by bigturtle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:53 am

Ya, CT is just smaller frame, because people didnt like the frame size of the original.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:47 am

To me the original shape feels a bit more solid. I have both versions and like both equally, but some people, presumably with small hands, seem to have an issue with the original. Either would work fine for you, but I think the original feels a little better quality.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:45 pm

They both palm poorly. The CT is a bit better then the original but still a poor palming reel. The mechanism for the tws occupies the same space as the mag dial meaning that the dial cannot be recessed into the palming plate and can only be turned by the very edge of the dial meaning that the edge of the dial is not beveled like pre tws reels. While the Tatula is a bit long the big problem is that the dial on the Tatula sticks out and is rough in texture when compared to older non tws platfroms and that It can be moved while palming and rub any skin It touches raw with extended use. It is very likely that a new tat will be released with the recessed T3 type dial found on the Steez tws and upcoming Zillion cranking reel.

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by GaterB » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:09 am

I hope they address the rough edges on the brake dial. This is my single greatest issue with the Tatula lineup. I’d probably own a fleet of them, and most likely will should they somehow rid the reels of that abrasive piece of ergonomical failure. I like everything about the Tats, but during extended use I would always become distracted by the constant rubbing on my index finger and the occasional change of brake setting during a hook set.
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:57 am

I find the Alphas SV (SV105) much worse for resetting the brake accidentally. Don't have a problem with the Tatulas, but would agree the brake dial should be recessed as much as is practical on all reels.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:I find the Alphas SV (SV105) much worse for resetting the brake accidentally. Don't have a problem with the Tatulas, but would agree the brake dial should be recessed as much as is practical on all reels.
Interesting. I thought the moving of the brake dial while palming was a recent phenomenon induced by the recent Tatula and Zillion TWS reels. I have to make an effort to pick up my thumb and then place in on the accessible portion of the dial to turn it on the Alphas platfrom.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:29 pm

I fish a left hand wind, so never move my hand from the palming position whether I'm casting or retrieving. Maybe something about my hand constantly being on the non gearbox side makes adjusting the brake accidentally more likely, but it really is annoying with the Alpha SV!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:I fish a left hand wind, so never move my hand from the palming position whether I'm casting or retrieving. Maybe something about my hand constantly being on the non gearbox side makes adjusting the brake accidentally more likely, but it really is annoying with the Alpha SV!

How many fingers do you have in front of the trigger when palming?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 pm

Three

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:40 am

OG Tatula has an aluminum handle side plate where the CT has a composite one.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Ok then, thanks to everyone for the insight.

I really don't palm any of my reels anyhow as slow fishing and me don't see eye to eye :lol: , especially in this application it will be a mostly chuck and wind kind of deal. I was looking to closely match the specs of my TDA 153 (which in it's heyday took some heat for being a bit large for some hands) and the Tatula will fit the bill nicely.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:04 pm

I have 6 of the tatula's and really like them. Very simple to adjust and backlashes are nearly impossible unless you happen to snag some plant life behind you on the back stroke. All but the CT R are super smooth. Does anyone know why this may be or have others found the same? I have the 8:1 CT R and it is rather "geary" feeling.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:21 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:I have 6 of the tatula's and really like them. Very simple to adjust and backlashes are nearly impossible unless you happen to snag some plant life behind you on the back stroke. All but the CT R are super smooth. Does anyone know why this may be or have others found the same? I have the 8:1 CT R and it is rather "geary" feeling.
There appears to be quite a bit of variation in the smoothness of the Tatula reels. I've heard some praise the reels retrieve and others complain of it being geary. In my own experience I have a smooth pre CT R and a geary SV that probably needs a new gear set to smooth it out. I've handled a few display Tatulas from a number of stores and they range from smooth to very geary.