Learn From My Mistake

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Learn From My Mistake

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 pm

I like changing spools to find the one spool that does it for me based on the technique i’m doing. Well one day i had troubles with this reel and long story short it was because the pin that goes in front of the bearing was uneven and nearly caused me to get rid of a great reel. My advice is double check that pin for evenness
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Learn From My Mistake

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:32 am

Oh man, Im soo anal about making sure that its perfectly centered. I know that a slight difference wont matter, but a good amount definitely will. Great post.
<")))><{

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:13 pm

Great advice!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:15 pm

This too scares me at times. Changing spool pins on the Zillion SV and SV105 are easy, but for some reason, my old Zillion TWS pins are an absolute pain to get out. Putting em back even is easy, however they should mark or nick the end that is smaller. I feel like I am going to break the Hedgehog Studio's tool and then pop the pin is free.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:20 am

DirtyD64 wrote:This too scares me at times. Changing spool pins on the Zillion SV and SV105 are easy, but for some reason, my old Zillion TWS pins are an absolute pain to get out. Putting em back even is easy, however they should mark or nick the end that is smaller. I feel like I am going to break the Hedgehog Studio's tool and then pop the pin is free.
If your spool has a bearing that's held in place by a pin, and you want to be able to swap spools easily, why not buy another bearing and the retainer pin, and leave them installed on the second spool, so you can just pop out one spool and drop in the other, without having to remove the bearing?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:39 am

mark poulson wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:This too scares me at times. Changing spool pins on the Zillion SV and SV105 are easy, but for some reason, my old Zillion TWS pins are an absolute pain to get out. Putting em back even is easy, however they should mark or nick the end that is smaller. I feel like I am going to break the Hedgehog Studio's tool and then pop the pin is free.
If your spool has a bearing that's held in place by a pin, and you want to be able to swap spools easily, why not buy another bearing and the retainer pin, and leave them installed on the second spool, so you can just pop out one spool and drop in the other, without having to remove the bearing?
Now that's an AhHa moment :)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:20 am

No I was just taking out the Zillion TWS bearings to clean them. Acetone, let dry, new oil, reassemble. My Zillion SV TW spool I ordered already came with bearing installed. Only reason I take them off is to clean them.