Opportunity for a Kistler Helium lta?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Opportunity for a Kistler Helium lta?

Post by Matt_3479 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:43 am

Wondering if you guys think it’s worrh it? I know there older rods but I’m not sure if it’s a fair price. It’s a friend of friends rod. I’m great shape. It’s was produced in the later years of production on these rods. He’s asking 75 dollars for it. It’s a 7’ Medium Heavy Fast Action 1/8-3/4 lure rating with the Fuji micro guides. Any opinions on these rods and if it’s worth purchasing. I live in Canada and to get into a Kistler rod klx or helium 3 on sale there for 299.99 At best for the klx going too 339.99-399.99 and the helium’s on sale for 339.99 going to 419.99 starting regular price

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Opportunity for a Kistler Helium lta?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:06 am

1st generation LTAs were pretty sweet, made with really good blanks. These models have the blue zirconia guide inserts. The 2nd generation was just okay, made with lesser quality blanks. I believe the one you are describing is a 2nd generation based on the guide description you provided. It's definitely a fair price, but out of the 3 Helium models, the other 2 have better blanks. I believe the 1st used Shikari, and the 3rd obviously uses NFC.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:1st generation LTAs were pretty sweet, made with really good blanks. These models have the blue zirconia guide inserts. The 2nd generation was just okay, made with lesser quality blanks. I believe the one you are describing is a 2nd generation based on the guide description you provided. It's definitely a fair price, but out of the 3 Helium models, the other 2 have better blanks. I believe the 1st used Shikari, and the 3rd obviously uses NFC.

This sounds spot on. 1st Gen great, current model even better. In between a decent rod but not life changing.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:50 pm

If I’m not mistaken then it’s probably the in between. So is it worth the 75 dollars. Like I said a new helium is about 419.99

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:42 pm

if in good shape absolutely. You won't find a new model at $75 that will be better.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:00 pm

DavidSA wrote:if in good shape absolutely. You won't find a new model at $75 that will be better.
Thank you everyone! Good point I didn’t look at it that way, I’ll try and pick up this rod

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:29 am

Picked up the Kistler today! Looks to be in perfect shape, almost unused (which is what he had mentioned). Increadibly light, good back bone. Very excited to try this rod out. Like mentioned for 75 dollars probably not to many new rods I’d be able to get to even come close to this. Thanks everyone.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm

I had the 7' Heavy from the same era as yours and it was a very nice rod. I sold it because the grip was so fat that my hand didn't sit right. At the time, I wasnt sure if that rubberized cork could be turned down to be thinner.....I wish I had kept it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

rcdemel
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rcdemel » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:02 pm

I still have a 1st generation 6'9" MH and use it regularly. It is the first "premium" rod I purchased years ago
and til death will we part! Even after all of these years it still compares favorably to more modern offerings.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:03 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:I had the 7' Heavy from the same era as yours and it was a very nice rod. I sold it because the grip was so fat that my hand didn't sit right. At the time, I wasnt sure if that rubberized cork could be turned down to be thinner.....I wish I had kept it.
That’s too bad, I have a bit of a bigger mitt so it seems to fit okay with me. I love the feel of this rod! It wasn’t easy to find information on I so I was very nervous but I’m so glad to be hearing the good stuff coming now! Making me more and more excited about this rod

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:30 am

I have the LTA crank bait rod, telescopic, goes to 7-9. It's turned out to be a great chatterbait rod!

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:30 pm

rcdemel wrote:I still have a 1st generation 6'9" MH and use it regularly. It is the first "premium" rod I purchased years ago
and til death will we part! Even after all of these years it still compares favorably to more modern offerings.

You and me both! The He69apc was my first "premium" rod as well! Thank blank was amazing! I still use mine on occasion and always enjoy fishing with it.