New Senko/Neko Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New Senko/Neko Rod

Post by jmd_143 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:41 am

Take a look at ge Megabass destroyer addermine. Super sensitive and versitile, for many techniques. Highly reccomended for what you are looking for.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:49 pm

NRX 852 would be my choice. I hear the new GLXs are great. ask tackletrap about a TT discount, you might be surprised. the expeditor plan lets me treat all of my loomis rods like they cost $100. 852 is also a great shakeyhead and 3/16-3/8oz DS rod IMO.

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hookfynn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:04 pm

just picked up the Meyer 7'4" and will let you know after the weekend. it definitely has the back bone and tip for the neko/senko and its the rod Meyer used to catch that jumbo spotted bass on a wacky senko with. i have the Cronos 7'6" [ same as the Feider rod] and i don't like it well enough for neko/senko fishing. i prefer it more for lighter stuff like weightless thin senkos and small underspins with a 30 size spinning reel.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:32 am

hookfynn wrote:just picked up the Meyer 7'4" and will let you know after the weekend. it definitely has the back bone and tip for the neko/senko and its the rod Meyer used to catch that jumbo spotted bass on a wacky senko with. i have the Cronos 7'6" [ same as the Feider rod] and i don't like it well enough for neko/senko fishing. i prefer it more for lighter stuff like weightless thin senkos and small underspins with a 30 size spinning reel.
Slightly off topic: I'm looking at that Cronos for 1/8-1/4 hair jigs, how do you like it for light bottom contact baits...?

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hookfynn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:35 pm

adam lancia wrote:
hookfynn wrote:just picked up the Meyer 7'4" and will let you know after the weekend. it definitely has the back bone and tip for the neko/senko and its the rod Meyer used to catch that jumbo spotted bass on a wacky senko with. i have the Cronos 7'6" [ same as the Feider rod] and i don't like it well enough for neko/senko fishing. i prefer it more for lighter stuff like weightless thin senkos and small underspins with a 30 size spinning reel.
Slightly off topic: I'm looking at that Cronos for 1/8-1/4 hair jigs, how do you like it for light bottom contact baits...?
I would prefer the 7'3" Cronos for bottom contact baits {shakey head, tubes,etc}. I have this particular rod as well and have caught shakey head fish as deep as 60 ft on it. It is extremely sensitive, especially coupled with 10 lb power pro and a 6 ft leader of flouro. I originally saw it in a "the hook up tackle" facebook live video with Brett Hite {you can look it up on there FB page}. He state that its basically the old Fuego 7'3" that was extremely popular back in the day. As for the 7'6" Cronos, I typically just use it for what I had mentioned. Though I'm sure it could excel at what you might be inquiring, its more of a niche rod for me {weightless thin senko and small underspin}.

You also might wanna check out the 7'4" Meyer Tatula Elite rod. Fished it hard this weekend in a tournament with neko and shakey head applications on 10lb braid to flouro and was blown away. The rod seems kinda bulky seems because the carbon fiber guides are thicker but its a standard Daiwa blank otherwise. It's extremely sensitive and has a great parabolic action while not forgetting a solid back bone in the process. It would definitely hammer home bottom contact applications. I just bought it more for a senko rod.