Microcast spool vs real bfs reel

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Dominikk85
Angler
Angler

Microcast spool vs real bfs reel

Post by Dominikk85 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:28 am

Hi my name is Dominik and I'm new to the forum.I like all kinds of baitcast fishing but don't have a huge budget.

I have a chronarch 51e upgraded with a microcast spool and tuning bearings from aliexpress and usually fish it with a 6"3 L rated rod from tailwalk (Japanese company).

Now I ordered the 5"2 super ultra light kuying rod for really light trout fishing in small streams. Can my reel throw 2grams baits when the newball rod arrives? Or do I need a real bfs reel like the alderan or ss air?

How do they compare in throwing performance?

Dominikk85
Angler
Angler

Re: Microcast spool vs real bfs reel

Post by Dominikk85 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Spool is around 8 grams if that helps.

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Dominik, I don’t know about your particular reel, as I don’t have one.
I don’t have a Tailwalk rod, either so still no help

I do have the Kuying Teton 522UL, which is the rod your asking about.

I also have a MC FineTail, which may be similar to your existing rod.

I like the little 522, as it works very well on smaller streams. I tend to pair my 522 with a SS Air.

Perhaps the question is how far is far enough for your cast? I would imagine you could cast reasonable lures at least some distance with a 50 series reel, but you’d probably cast farther, more accurately and with much less effort and concentration with an Aldebaran XG or SS Air, of which I have both.

If money is a serious consideration, the SS Air is a bit less expensive, but neither is inexpensive. You already have a Shimano, a lot of people like to stick with a specific reel “family” as the manufacturers try to keep a similar look and feel, so a Daiwa,might not suit you. Just my opinions.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:49 pm

My ss air spool weighed 9.28g with bearing and could cast 2g without issue. I had an avail microcast 936rr that I used in a core 50 with air bfs bearings and it could match the distance of the ss air on the same rod with the same line.

Dominikk85
Angler
Angler

Post by Dominikk85 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:50 am

Thanks. I don't expect big distances as the rod is only 5 2 but 10-12 meters (like 35 feet) would be nice. The chronarch is a 50 shimano reel I think it is basically same as the curado, more of the lower end of shimano.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:07 am

Dominikk85 wrote:The chronarch is a 50 shimano reel I think it is basically same as the curado, more of the lower end of shimano.
The Chronarch 50e is the same as the Curado 50e - just black and white same gear ratios etc and basically the same platform as the Aldarbaren MG.

Wouldn't call it lower end more mid high and built very well & well suited for lighter casting.

Just the fact that the pinion isnt supported at both ends and the spool continues through it and drag is the subsequent result from that - unlike Daiwa's design.

Just cant for the life of me remember of the Aldarbaren level wind fits on the Curado 50's? They're a wider choking level wind and allow line to peel off the spool freely... I actually have to check it out for fitment - or if anyone else tried?

Edit: lined up Aldarbaren and Curado 50e - guide bar is in different location by mm's - otherwise would've been a great improvement...
Last edited by Slazmo on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:28 am

Dominikk85 wrote:Thanks. I don't expect big distances as the rod is only 5 2 but 10-12 meters (like 35 feet) would be nice. The chronarch is a 50 shimano reel I think it is basically same as the curado, more of the lower end of shimano.
If you have a light spool (I see,your's around 7gr) upgraded bearings and BFS rod, you'll cast easy 2gr lures even better,then you're expect.And It's no metter what kind of reel you have...Casting distance making only spool,spool's bearing,rod and your hands.

Dominikk85
Angler
Angler

Post by Dominikk85 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:29 am

Yeah it is definitely a good reel and not cheap (coat like 150 dollars a couple years ago) just below the core or alde.

So do you think it can cast 2g with an 8g spool reasonably well?

The spool I got from aliexpress. It actually also fits into an older (around 2010) aldebaran reel.
https://m.de.aliexpress.com/s/item/3271 ... c#autostay

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:44 am

Dominikk85 wrote:So do you think it can cast 2g with an 8g spool reasonably well?
Reasonably yes - i can cast that weight with an ancient Calcutta 50XT on its standard spool with only HH Air BFS bearings as an upgrade (on a Volkey BFS rod) - your not going to cast from one end of a pond to another but casting techniques are key and small steps in confidence casting will see distance improve.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:52 am

So do you think it can cast 2g with an 8g spool reasonably well?

Of cource! It's lot of Avail spools same weight works from 2gr...even less.
Another good thing for budget upgrade your reel-magnets brakes.
http://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/bra ... 00534.html
It's upgrade your spool(it's will be more light after removing a plastic brakes block),and ,whith more finest adjustment,you'll be able to work with 1.5gr lures of total weight.

Dominikk85
Angler
Angler

Post by Dominikk85 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:26 am

Im looking forward to gettting the rod. Not the most high end setup but hopefully it will be fun. Want to use it in small streams so casting distance is not that important. Any tips for good baits for such a setup? I have light spoons, spinners and some light jigs.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:50 am

Dominikk85 wrote:Im looking forward to gettting the rod. Not the most high end setup but hopefully it will be fun. Want to use it in small streams so casting distance is not that important. Any tips for good baits for such a setup? I have light spoons, spinners and some light jigs.
Lures depend of kind of fish in your streams...All your's good to start.Maybe add some small jerkbaits,minnows.

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:41 am

Again, in my experience and opinion, it sounds as you’ve got the reel pretty well sorted out and have reasonable expectations for the rod/reel combo.

Appropriate sized Spoons, spinners, jigs are all appropriate for the rod/reel combo, even some plugs appropriate for small streams, especially if your not trying to throw across a large river.

Dominikk85
Angler
Angler

Post by Dominikk85 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:19 pm

How does the ultralight casting style differ from heavier baits? Different techniques?

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Dominikk85 wrote:How does the ultralight casting style differ from heavier baits? Different techniques?
Distance will be most effected by the lighter baits and casting gear. I tend to use my ul casting stuff for small cranks, spinners and moving baits. You are not going to be fishing jig n pigs or large plastic worms.