Deep Cranking Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Deep Cranking Reel

Post by Chicagoed » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:12 pm

Looking for suggestions for a quality reel to throw 10XD, 8XD, Norman DD22, etc. I have a 6.3:1 met but don't think that's the right choice. Planning to use 15lb fluoro.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Deep Cranking Reel

Post by DenhamBruce » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:22 pm

Try and find an old TD Zillion Crazy Cranker on eBay!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:15 am

Wish I had bought a Zillion TWS in the 5.5 ratio. They started selling out for really cheap when the Zillion SV TW came around, and they aren't bad reels. Little heavy and big, but the larger, wider, deeper spool works great for throwing larger lures. Once again, they aren't half bad either when it comes to casting.

I don't know what price range you are looking into, but the Zillion TWS is very solid and a good priced, tough reel. I really wish I had picked up one of the right handed 5.5 speeds for spinnerbaits/chatterbaits/larger cranks. Would have worked much better on my 7'6" cranking rod than the current Tatula HD 7.3.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:09 am

I picked up a Zillion TWS 5.5 gets the job done. Should have grabbed a spare!!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:32 am

TommyG wrote:I picked up a Zillion TWS 5.5 gets the job done. Should have grabbed a spare!!
I just converted my 9.1 to a 7.3 (bought a 7.3 too when on sale) and it feels soooo much better. The 9.1 was just torque lacking for me and the baits I wanted to use so I ordered some gears, boca oil, and grease from Tackle Trap. After a good acetone bearing cleansing now it feels great.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:46 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Wish I had bought a Zillion TWS in the 5.5 ratio. They started selling out for really cheap when the Zillion SV TW came around, and they aren't bad reels. Little heavy and big, but the larger, wider, deeper spool works great for throwing larger lures. Once again, they aren't half bad either when it comes to casting.

I don't know what price range you are looking into, but the Zillion TWS is very solid and a good priced, tough reel. I really wish I had picked up one of the right handed 5.5 speeds for spinnerbaits/chatterbaits/larger cranks. Would have worked much better on my 7'6" cranking rod than the current Tatula HD 7.3.
That was the reel I was planning on getting from TW. They had 3 lefty versions available when I looked. I bought the gift card bc it was 10% off figured I'd get an even bigger savings. Problem is I bought the physical card and not the electronic version. By the time the card arrived they had sold out. So dumb...still kicking myself.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:48 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
TommyG wrote:I picked up a Zillion TWS 5.5 gets the job done. Should have grabbed a spare!!
I just converted my 9.1 to a 7.3 (bought a 7.3 too when on sale) and it feels soooo much better. The 9.1 was just torque lacking for me and the baits I wanted to use so I ordered some gears, boca oil, and grease from Tackle Trap. After a good acetone bearing cleansing now it feels great.
I now have the 5.5, 6.3,2-7.3 and the 9.1. The 9.1 is great for vertical jigs in deep water. They are tough workhorse reels.

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:57 am

Take a look at the Abu Garcia Revo Winch and the Orra Winch. The guys at Tactical Bassin rave about the Orra Winch even though it's inexpensive.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:58 am

Chicagoed wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Wish I had bought a Zillion TWS in the 5.5 ratio. They started selling out for really cheap when the Zillion SV TW came around, and they aren't bad reels. Little heavy and big, but the larger, wider, deeper spool works great for throwing larger lures. Once again, they aren't half bad either when it comes to casting.

That was the reel I was planning on getting from TW. They had 3 lefty versions available when I looked. I bought the gift card bc it was 10% off figured I'd get an even bigger savings. Problem is I bought the physical card and not the electronic version. By the time the card arrived they had sold out. So dumb...still kicking myself.
Don't feel bad, I got an electronic one sent to myself, but didn't do it in time and missed the SV105 sale!!!. Might get a spinning reel actually now, just guess I'm holding this card till the NEXT sale, no idea what it is though...

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:45 am

wait for a certain shimano rep to advise their 7.1+ reels are perfect for deep cranking applications.

and it is wrong for consumers to ask for a 5.x:1 left handed shimano reel...because the 17.1:1 reel they just released will do the job so much better....cause of moar microgears and other crap that isn't needed on a deep cranking reel.
1-2%

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:26 pm

I honestly feel like I could get away with a 24-27 inches per turn reel for resistance baits, large or small. Right now I am stuck using my Tatula HD 7.3 for up to 8XD's, it's too fast. For chatterbaits and spinnerbaits though (also used on my 7'6" crank rod) it is great, and I actually use them more than cranks so its okay for now. Really wish I would have caught one of the 6.3 SV103 reels (right hand) on sale, they were really great. Will probably eventually place a 6 speed Curado K or equal on the crank rod and either sell the HD or move it to a swimbait rod.

Back to low ratio's though, I owned a Revo Winch, wasn't a bad reel, just didn't cast as well with lures at 3/8 (heavier the better). I did however catch a lot of fish on that reel though, and the extra torque was always great once you finally got hooked up. I lost a possible fish of a lifetime on that reel though, was throwing exposed hook paddle tails (4.8 Keitech on a 3/8 head), got a bite, fight began, and the fish (whatever it was) outran me, I lost pressure on the line, and it shook loose. From that alone I will always probably use a 7 speed and only get a 6 ratio when I get enough money to fully expand my rods and reels.

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:13 pm

When you previously owned the Winch did you fish it with stock bearings or were they upgraded? That could explain your distance issues.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:27 pm

A JDM Daiwa Zillion SV TWS in the 5.5 ratio 8-)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:39 pm

The Zillion TWS is a good choice. I have a 12 Antares 5.6 and that is awesome. I am not usually a fan of Shimano reel but, the Antares is a lure slinging, smooth operating, piece of work. Super smooth and power for days. I put a 96mm handle on it and I have no problems with deep cranks. The smoothness really helps me feel what's going on down below the surface.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:21 am

DenhamBruce wrote:Try and find an old TD Zillion Crazy Cranker on eBay!
X2
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.