13 Fishing Concept Z

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 13 Fishing Concept Z

Post by reason162 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:36 am

13Fishing wrote:We added the deep spool in the development process because we were casting all the line off the spools. :shock:

Matt
13 Fishing
LOL

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 am

Could you still not get better performance by adding a more shallow spool? Or is this spool constructed from a lighter, higher quality aluminum similar to Shimano's MGL or Daiwa's G1 concepts???

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:09 am

A lighter spool doesn't always cast further. In fact, the statement I will make is that typically a lighter spool will cast lighter baits better. This is a very Japanese(Daiwa-Megabass/Shimano) thought process that has been slowly marketed into what enthusiasts that have been fishing uber high-end reels believe.

The Concept Z is a $200 product designed to deliver price busting performance with an entirely new thought process. I don't believe that high priced bearings, or bearings with ferrofluid are the answer to the mass market. Yes, they are awesome. I like them too. I work directly with some of these incredible bearing companies to develop high performance bearings and I think that they definitely have a place in our products.

now back to finishing my thought...

The CZB is a very very new material, our team developed this for this specific purpose. Its difficult to produce and even more difficult to build. It looks simple, but it has an amazing amount of science and engineering behind it. We have literally been dialing it in weekly making it even better as we worked from the ICAST announcement and marketing launch until production a few weeks ago.

We have tested many different weight spools to see where the sweet spot is for light, medium, and heavier baits. We believe with the current weight spool it performs significantly above average in ALL THREE lure weight categories. Our CZBs don't work like ball bearings so the results are different. A lighter weight spool will NOT increase performance in a Concept Z.

Matt
13 Fishing

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:23 pm

kingzfan71 wrote:Just got mine from Dicks Sporting Goods but Tackle Warehouse has some in stock now
Good for you!
Let us know what you think of it.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:00 pm

The initial review seems to promise great things... Would be interesting to hear how the reel compares to a high end reel like a MGL, Antares, Steez.

I am thinking to myself: if 13 Fishing really has found the magic ingredient and it outperforms (casting distance, effort) everything there is and holds forever, why would 13 fishing only sell this in a 200 USD package to begin with? One could argue that they want to hit the mass market and hardly attack Shimano and Daiwa, but for that I feel the company is too small to produce the right volume.

Well, lets see. If it compares well to a 400 USD reel, I might pick one up, just for the fun of it..

Looking forward to some reviews where one can be sure that it was not influenced by some kind of incentive..

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:30 am

The reviews are starting to open up on youtube. Flukemaster guy had it outcasting another 13 reel and a $180 Lew's, but he is sponsored by 13 I think. The Reel Test weighed the spool in a 16 something grams WITH the bushing so that's not bad. Will be interested to see it go up against the Curado K. I am starting to worry about gearing more than I am long bomb casting. The more I test them, my Zillion SV TW, old Zillion TWS, old Tatula Type R, Tatula HD, Chronarch MGL, etc. are all within 10-15 yards when casting over 3/8+. This might be a tad off, but I am just saying that heavier lures cast about as far as you need them to already, at least for me.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Sorry if this has been answered, but are the trick shop spools compatible with this platform?

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:10 pm

13Fishing wrote:A lighter spool doesn't always cast further. In fact, the statement I will make is that typically a lighter spool will cast lighter baits better.
Agree, a lighter spool doesn't help with distance casting, but what it does help with is ease of startup which helps cast lighter baits easier and cast baits with softer more precise casts as they start up easier. But they don't help, and may hurt bombing a lure for pure distance. The problem with a spool that is both deep and heavier is you compound the weight of the spool with the weight of the extra line spooled on it, which again doesn't hurt all out distance but can make it harder to cast light baits or medium weight baits with shorter range precision roll casts and pitching.

Normally a lightweight spool with easy startup that is best for light baits and precision casting is not the best spool for flat out bombing heavier baits. And the spool that will give you the best distance bombing heavy baits is not the best spool for short range precision casting and lighter baits. This is why for example you would use a different reel for bombing deep diving crankbaits or big topwaters in open water than you would for closer quarters target casting.

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:17 pm

Something about this new material puzzles me. If the CZB material was so difficult to develop and produce, why is there a conversation about making the CZB bushing or bearing substitute available at a cost of $11.00 to fit other main stream reel brands? Now if that talk is just fluff than so be it. I'm not puzzled further. If that is the case, why would you jeopardize the potential sale of a complete reel and just provide this "price busting " performance to anyone. If I don't care for the platform, ergonomics, cast control system, feel of the gearing, drag or other, I just update my lewiawamano and put CZB bushings in it? That seems like a strange business model to me. What do I know.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 pm

Agreed! A lot of things do not make sense here...

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:22 am

Is there a list of the bearing sizes that will be available? I have a coworker who dabbles in RC cars and he and I have bearing-chat on occasion and he was interested in these new ball-less bearings for his little cars.

Edit, answered my own dumb question;
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (13.42 KiB) Viewed 5788 times

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:35 am

Dink Dawg wrote:Something about this new material puzzles me. If the CZB material was so difficult to develop and produce, why is there a conversation about making the CZB bushing or bearing substitute available at a cost of $11.00 to fit other main stream reel brands? Now if that talk is just fluff than so be it. I'm not puzzled further. If that is the case, why would you jeopardize the potential sale of a complete reel and just provide this "price busting " performance to anyone. If I don't care for the platform, ergonomics, cast control system, feel of the gearing, drag or other, I just update my lewiawamano and put CZB bushings in it? That seems like a strange business model to me. What do I know.
The CZB Tech isn't 100% about selling reels(although obviously that is what we do)....its about changing the thought process. For decades the industry has said more ball bearings is better, you need top quality ball bearings, and to get performance you have to have top drawer ball bearings.

In order to do that we needed to make the tech available in a price point everyone can experience. The idea that great tech has to cost a lot is a huge mind game. Should we mark up the tech 1000% and put it into a $600 reel so we can expose a few thousand people? That mind set is for other companies...not 13.

I'm not sure you guys are thinking about the math here. Do you know how many bearings this industry uses in reels per year. Do you think Audi would like to sell door handles for all the fords and chevys out there. You bet they would.

Matt
13 Fishing

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:29 am

I am excited/nervous about receiving my Z 7.3:1 reel. It's due to ship Jan 9.
I'm excited to get to see how it performs.
I'm nervous because I'm afraid it will be so good I'll hate all my other reels!
I do hope you guys make bushings for other reels. I'd love not to have to replace all of my old favorites!

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Are there any independent tests showing an actual measured cast distance? All the tests I have seen, are by employees, or sponsored anglers, showing very dubious claims regarding distances. TIA

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Deep spool and salt = corrosion on the spool...

How good is the anodized surface and how thick?