16 Aldebaran bfs owners: Question for ya

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

16 Aldebaran bfs owners: Question for ya

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:38 am

What pound test are you guys using.
I spooled mine with 4lb Pline halo...and found that even with the slightest over runs. The line gets jambed between the spool and frame.
Anyone else experience this? Other reels i've converted to bfs didn't have that isse
ANd i use 4, 5 and 6lb braids on non "bfs" specific reels without issue.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 16 Aldebaran bfs owners: Question for ya

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:30 am

I have had that problem on the 15 Aldebaran BFS LTD and the 16 Aldebaran. It doesn't happen too often but, it can be annoying. I run 2lb nanofil on mine.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:42 pm

I am using 15# braid with a 8 (yo zuri) or 6 pound (Tatsu) leader on my 16 Alde BFS. Works great so far. Still new to the BFS thing though. Havent caught a fish yet..

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:20 pm

ccass wrote:I have had that problem on the 15 Aldebaran BFS LTD and the 16 Aldebaran. It doesn't happen too often but, it can be annoying. I run 2lb nanofil on mine.
I find it strange that They designed the reel for use with light line...but the tolerances allow for it to get trapped.

My bfs abu no such issue..nor do i recall having a problem with my old pixy

It's not the overrun that gets in there....and it doesn't have to be bad either....just enough to have a few loose coils...pulling em out is what casuses them to shift and bind.....and with the springyness of the stretchy clear stuff vs braid.....it happens very frequently
I have some 6lb tatsu collecting dust....will give it a go with that.

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:18 am

With mine i have had problems going under 6# flouro. I usually stick with Toray Bawo Exthread at 6 or 8#. Never had any problems with those two. The line is super smooth and is my favorite for finesse reels.

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:47 am

I run 15lb pp slick with short leaders from 4 to 8 test and have not had this issue on the 16. on the 2015 I had that issue occur a handful of times.

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:35 am

You can switch to braid and that will solve that right away, I like 8lb White Gliss. Tightening the spool tension knob will fix this issue using non PE lines but it isn't a fun way to cast. Stretching the line out will help with this issue as well.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:06 pm

I use 7lb Sniper
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:22 am

I use #7 sniper too

Got an advice for ya, dont mess around by opening the brake blocks, took me a little while to put thoses littles spring back in place...

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:55 am

southpaw619 wrote:You can switch to braid and that will solve that right away, I like 8lb White Gliss. Tightening the spool tension knob will fix this issue using non PE lines but it isn't a fun way to cast. Stretching the line out will help with this issue as well.
My goal was to not have to worry about tying a pr or fg knot. Otherwise I'd go 4lb FL ultra or 8lb gliss as well.
When ice starts forming on guides. KNots are the worst!! :)

And tightening the spool tension doesn't work well for tight quarters casting on baits at or below 1/16

6lb tatsu is fine. No issues.

Might try underspooling with 4lb and see if that works.....

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:17 am

fati wrote:I use #7 sniper too

Got an advice for ya, dont mess around by opening the brake blocks, took me a little while to put thoses littles spring back in place...
LOL.....now that sounds like fun! Now i'm gonna have too!

I'll tell ya what....when i unboxed it....i immediately took it apart....the 3 screws under the spool threw me for a loop....Definitely don't remove them unless you're already in the reel...lol

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:28 am

This all scares me a bit, when I finish school I want to celebrate and either buy a nice UL spinning combo or a BFS combo. I use 7lb Sniper right now on a ML rod on a regular SV105 and feel I should go on down to something like 6lb. I always figured I would use 8lb regular PowerPro (or 5lb) on a BFS reel. At MINIMUM I would use something like 10lb Sufix 832 which is a little thicker than other braids. Just was hoping BFS reels were more friendly with the super thin diameter lines.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:20 am

DirtyD64 wrote:This all scares me a bit, when I finish school I want to celebrate and either buy a nice UL spinning combo or a BFS combo. I use 7lb Sniper right now on a ML rod on a regular SV105 and feel I should go on down to something like 6lb. I always figured I would use 8lb regular PowerPro (or 5lb) on a BFS reel. At MINIMUM I would use something like 10lb Sufix 832 which is a little thicker than other braids. Just was hoping BFS reels were more friendly with the super thin diameter lines.
I run 2lb Nanofil on my 16 Aldebaran. I rarely have problems with the line getting stuck. I do notice that the Daiwa BFS reels I have less issues with the line getting stuck in the spool/pinion area than I did with Shimano BFS reels.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:21 am

ccass wrote: I run 2lb Nanofil on my 16 Aldebaran. I rarely have problems with the line getting stuck. I do notice that the Daiwa BFS reels I have less issues with the line getting stuck in the spool/pinion area than I did with Shimano BFS reels.
I once tried to run 14lb ygk G-Soul X8 in a PX68 with a DIY spool. It's 0.0052", so like 2lb mono thickness. It never got caught between the spool and frame, but was so fine and soft as to be pretty unmanageable in most every other aspect. I don't think I could even tie a knot in 2lb nanofil.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Houndfish wrote:
ccass wrote: I run 2lb Nanofil on my 16 Aldebaran. I rarely have problems with the line getting stuck. I do notice that the Daiwa BFS reels I have less issues with the line getting stuck in the spool/pinion area than I did with Shimano BFS reels.
I once tried to run 14lb ygk G-Soul X8 in a PX68 with a DIY spool. It's 0.0052", so like 2lb mono thickness. It never got caught between the spool and frame, but was so fine and soft as to be pretty unmanageable in most every other aspect. I don't think I could even tie a knot in 2lb nanofil.
It's surprisingly strong. Just make sure your leader knot is good.