Backing rule of thumb?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Backing rule of thumb?

Post by Obz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:24 pm

In the past I haven't used backing on my bass reels, now that I'm acquiring a taste for pricier flourocarbon I think it's a good idea.
I was thinking about 15-20% of the spool capacity? Do you prefer mono or braid backing?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Backing rule of thumb?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:16 am

I don't have a preference per say, both work. I typically use mono in the same diameter of the fluoro I'm using. I keep things simple so I just wind it on until I can barely see any writing on the spool. I can still see the wording, just not clearly. I'll stop there and hit it with fluorocarbon. Bare in mind all my spools are fairly shallow SV spools. I think my deepest spools are the stock spools from my 09 Aldebaran and Steez SV TW.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:43 am

I measure my line out. I'll put 60yds on the spool and then put enough backing down. After that, I "flip" the line so the fresh line is on top. Complicated but, it saves money. A 200yd spool gets me 3 spools worth of line. I adjust the amount of line depending on the application but 60yds is a good baseline for most applications.

I have a football field near my place so, I can measure the line and also
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:32 am

Ok cool. So, the trend with baitcast spools (at least the ones I own) seems to be about 90yds of .36mm. I could do 20yds of that diameter mono and 65yds of similar size flouro. I can do the math on lighter lines also. I don't have a line counter but given the low end line recovery I can estimate the yardage of backing based on handle turns, then fill the rest of the spool. Thanks for the comments, glad to know I was in the wheel house.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:36 am

Probably play with the numbers a bit once I know the spool length of the expensive stuff, right on.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:06 am

The math is pretty easy to figure out if you know the diameter of your line and how much your spool holds. Daiwa provides this on the box. You can multiply the diameter of line by the manufacturers suggested line capacity to get the volume of your spool.
I fish a lot of Sniper. I generally use 66 yards (1/3 of a 200 yard spool) of new line. I can't stand wasting line, but I replace it often.
I always try to use exactly 66 yards for larger diameters. I'll use 50 yards for 7 lb. line and under because I replace it more often, and it is usually being used for dropshotting that twists my line.
You can figure out how much space that your main line will take by multiplying the amount that you want to use by the diameter. Subtract this number from the total capacity of the spool and you will know the volume of the remainder. Divide that number by the diameter of the backing and you will get the amount of backing that you need to use.
I use 12 lb. mono for backing. Braid will weigh less, and will help with lighter baits, but I don't usually have old braid lying around to use.
You obviously will need a line counter or a measured off space. I have marked off yardages on the greenbelt in back of my house.
If you want to change the line size on your reel, it generally takes about 6 yards of extra 12lb. backing if I go down one line size, like from 14 to 12lb.
Yes, I am obsessed, and I know that most people don't want to do the math. :D But, a large fleet of reels ain't cheap to maintain if you like good fluoro.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:58 am

I spool the whole spool with fluorocarbon. Then when I finally start to run low or it gets worn out, I cut off the bad then top the spool with mono or cheap/old braid. Then I unspool to a empty line spool, hand spool to another, then put back on my reel so that it is 100% full and then untouched good fluorocarbon is on the top with backing on the bottom. If my line is okay condition and I have just lost a good bit from retying, I just tie mono to my current main line and repeat the process. After the other side goes bad, I flip it around on the reel where the mono is on top, tie backing to backing, then fill the reel and flip again where I have (old backing)---(new backing)---(final 1/3 of fluorocarbon). At first it is complex with the spooling and unspooling from reels to empty filler spools and back and forth many times, but once you get the process down it is easy for me and I ALWAYS use 100% of my line.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:08 pm

my backing rule of thumb...

small capacity spool / cheap backing = penny wise, dollar foolish

oe

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:20 am

toddmc wrote:The math is pretty easy to figure out if you know the diameter of your line and how much your spool holds. Daiwa provides this on the box. You can multiply the diameter of line by the manufacturers suggested line capacity to get the volume of your spool.
I fish a lot of Sniper. I generally use 66 yards (1/3 of a 200 yard spool) of new line. I can't stand wasting line, but I replace it often.
I always try to use exactly 66 yards for larger diameters. I'll use 50 yards for 7 lb. line and under because I replace it more often, and it is usually being used for dropshotting that twists my line.
You can figure out how much space that your main line will take by multiplying the amount that you want to use by the diameter. Subtract this number from the total capacity of the spool and you will know the volume of the remainder. Divide that number by the diameter of the backing and you will get the amount of backing that you need to use.
I use 12 lb. mono for backing. Braid will weigh less, and will help with lighter baits, but I don't usually have old braid lying around to use.
You obviously will need a line counter or a measured off space. I have marked off yardages on the greenbelt in back of my house.
If you want to change the line size on your reel, it generally takes about 6 yards of extra 12lb. backing if I go down one line size, like from 14 to 12lb.
Yes, I am obsessed, and I know that most people don't want to do the math. :D But, a large fleet of reels ain't cheap to maintain if you like good fluoro.
I thought my way was technical...geez.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:39 pm

ccass wrote:
toddmc wrote:The math is pretty easy to figure out if you know the diameter of your line and how much your spool holds. Daiwa provides this on the box. You can multiply the diameter of line by the manufacturers suggested line capacity to get the volume of your spool.
I thought my way was technical...geez.
I know it looks that way, but most of my reels are used for a specific line size. All I have to do is strip my old line and put on 66 yards of new line on top of the old backing. I have a line and reel log that tells me the volume of every Daiwa spool that I own.
I would use bigger bulk spools of line and not worry about much waste, but the bulk spools are not wound well and the new line tends to be more deformed on the bulk spools of Sunline that are not parallel wound.

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:31 am

You want to try and use the same diameter backing to the main line. It will make the knot flush and smooth with no problems