Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:11 am

Kurt L wrote:Is the Curado K Drive gear swap confirmed? I'm very happy just thinking about it, wow no more pain in the butt Aluminum drive gear! that Gear should get the product of the year award! I have my fingers crossed hoping it's true.

Kurt
Is the Metanium MGL pinion aluminum also??? I am really considering one from Japan now, being saving change a while now...

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:47 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Kurt L wrote:Is the Curado K Drive gear swap confirmed? I'm very happy just thinking about it, wow no more pain in the butt Aluminum drive gear! that Gear should get the product of the year award! I have my fingers crossed hoping it's true.

Kurt
Is the Metanium MGL pinion aluminum also??? I am really considering one from Japan now, being saving change a while now...
Pinion gear is brass.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:47 am

DirtyD64 wrote:So is the pinion aluminum too???
Looks like brass to me.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:22 am

y2k88 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:So is the pinion aluminum too???
Looks like brass to me.

Thanks!!! That is one mean looking aluminum gear... I know it sounds weird, but I feel I can see the precision from here. The teeth just look so sharp and like computer generated image-looking. Either way, I'd be going after the brass replacement only after I felt problems, if I did buy a Metanium MGL, I'd keep it stock until necessary after ordering from Japan.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:53 am

Just replaced my new but buzzing 13 Met 6.2 aluminium drive gear with a new brass drive gear from the Curado K, keeping the new original 13 Met pinion gear. Wow! No time on the water with it, but now as smooth as my Conquest 100HG. Noticed that the Curado drive gear is thinner than the original 13 Met drive gear. I wonder whether this makes it track smoother on the pinion? A terrific upgrade, the reel is now super fluid to crank with absolutely zero vibration.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:13 am

So I am considering a Metanium MGL HG from Japan, I figure you only live once and I want to give a JDM reel a shot. I really like the shallower spool, and really like my Chronarch MGL, so I figure I might take the plunge. Has anyone ordered with a debit card from digitaka or japantackle versus a paypal account??? Or should I go ahead and get a paypal account?

Also, is the difference worth it to forget the US warranty or should I wait till black Friday and get another Chronarch MGL/Zillion SV TW???

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:22 am

DirtyD64 wrote:So I am considering a Metanium MGL HG from Japan, I figure you only live once and I want to give a JDM reel a shot. I really like the shallower spool, and really like my Chronarch MGL, so I figure I might take the plunge. Has anyone ordered with a debit card from digitaka or japantackle versus a paypal account??? Or should I go ahead and get a paypal account?

Also, is the difference worth it to forget the US warranty or should I wait till black Friday and get another Chronarch MGL/Zillion SV TW???
PayPal is the safest way to go if you're ordering international. I've placed 2 orders from digitaka using PayPal with no issues. Just make sure the confirmed shipping address you have in PayPal is the correct one since they'll only ship it to the confirmed shipping address. So far no issues with the two JDM reels either.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:07 pm

accodn2ryan wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:So I am considering a Metanium MGL HG from Japan, I figure you only live once and I want to give a JDM reel a shot. I really like the shallower spool, and really like my Chronarch MGL, so I figure I might take the plunge. Has anyone ordered with a debit card from digitaka or japantackle versus a paypal account??? Or should I go ahead and get a paypal account?

PayPal is the safest way to go if you're ordering international. I've placed 2 orders from digitaka using PayPal with no issues. Just make sure the confirmed shipping address you have in PayPal is the correct one since they'll only ship it to the confirmed shipping address. So far no issues with the two JDM reels either.
What 2 JDM reels do you own??? I had heard a few bad comments (not terrible just grinding feeling or not spectacular reviews) on the Metanium MGL, but EVERYONE hates on the SS/SV and I love mine. This has me really checking out the Metanium MGL and probably will lead to me ordering one this Xmas.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:00 pm

I must be the lucky one, my 13 and 16 mets have been perfect, both US and JDM versions. I've not cracked my 16 Mets open but that does look like a killer Alum gear. If I see wear on my Alum main I will consider brass but changing when I'm not having any problems does not make sense.

In other threads I've posted that I find it ironic that my go to cranking reels and spinnterbait reels are old Revo Premier Gen 1 and 2. I think they are full Alum and never any problems after years of use.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:24 am

DavidSA wrote:I must be the lucky one, my 13 and 16 mets have been perfect, both US and JDM versions. I've not cracked my 16 Mets open but that does look like a killer Alum gear. If I see wear on my Alum main I will consider brass but changing when I'm not having any problems does not make sense.

In other threads I've posted that I find it ironic that my go to cranking reels and spinnterbait reels are old Revo Premier Gen 1 and 2. I think they are full Alum and never any problems after years of use.
Agreed, I must be VERY lucky, I have an SS/SV that makes me happy. I think Shimano's use of aluminum gears stands to evolve quickly. I am not sure how or if they cold forge baitcasting aluminum gears, but that is one concept/gimmick that actually seems to work. In inorganic chemistry and physics I learned to understand the principles they explain about forging a puck into a gear versus machining one. I am not sure if micro module teeth can be pressed (forged) that way, but I do understand from a scientific point why Shimano's cold forged gear is important.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
accodn2ryan wrote:

What 2 JDM reels do you own??? I had heard a few bad comments (not terrible just grinding feeling or not spectacular reviews) on the Metanium MGL, but EVERYONE hates on the SS/SV and I love mine. This has me really checking out the Metanium MGL and probably will lead to me ordering one this Xmas.
I actually have 3 now since I purchased one on my trip to Japan last month, Scorpion 71HG, Chronarch MGL, and Scorpion DC. I haven't spooled my Scoprion DC yet though.

sprogk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sprogk » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:11 am

masterbass wrote:
sprogk wrote:
masterbass wrote:I wish they just used brass in the met mgl because the weight savings is hardly worth it IMO. Admittedly I haven't had any issues yet, but brass gears should make it smoother and more durable. Has anyone had to replace their met gears?
The new Curado K micromodule brass gears are compatible with Metanium MGL. All my Met's designated for moving baits are getting changed to brass main gear.
Awesome. How do we source the gear sets? Do you just need the gear and pinion?
Sorry I didn't get email notifications on these.
Get Gear & pinion from Tackle Trap its around $29 I think.

sprogk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sprogk » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:18 am

Strewth wrote:Only the drive gear is compatible. You must use the Met pinion. Still a great fix to the buzzing gear issue.
Not True. Tackle Trap has supplied me with 8 sets of Curado K gears sets (Main gear & Pinion). Its compatible.
The tackle trap changed the first two for me which where XG's & I got them to install 6.2 gears sets.

So now we can change our reels speeds as required when we upgrade to brass.

Cheers

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:10 pm

so is anyone actually using a Met MGL as a crankbait reel that can tell me if you like it and what speed you like. That we can upgrade them to brass is great!!!!

Cranks for me are MOSTLY Lipless cranks and shallow divers like the Lure Jenson Speed trap. I don't throw DD22's often where I fish most but if I do can pull a backup 6:1 ratio reel out of the collection.

Thinking HG speed. Thoughts on that?

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:41 pm

Does anybody know the weight difference between the aluminium and brass gear? Thank you very much for the information! :)
More pictures: https://www.instagram.com/addicted_to_baitcaster/