XX PP for small swimbaits?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: XX PP for small swimbaits?

Post by Houndfish » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Bronzefly, you will have a PM in a sec. I am right on the edge here but don't want to hijack this thread anymore.

blw
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by blw » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:07 am

Bronzefly, What would be your top choice in Megabass or others to handle up to 2 oz hard body swimbaits and be in the 7'6" range ?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:41 am

Houndfish wrote:Bronzefly, you will have a PM in a sec. I am right on the edge here but don't want to hijack this thread anymore.
PM replied, thank you.
blw wrote:Bronzefly, What would be your top choice in Megabass or others to handle up to 2 oz hard body swimbaits and be in the 7'6" range ?
I really enjoy using the Black Jungle Power Versatile for hard baits in the 1 to 3 oz range. It's 7'4".
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

blw
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by blw » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:42 am

For the same application how would you compare the Power Versatile and the Faust ?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 pm

blw wrote:For the same application how would you compare the Power Versatile and the Faust ?
The Faust feels like a jig rod in hand despite the "regular" action. The F8 is prominent and the rod is very powerful. The Power Versatile is F6.5 and while rated to 4 oz, is much more comfortable with larger treble baits in the 1 to 3 oz range. Even fishing the same 2.5 oz Bull Shad, I'd still pick the Power Versatile over the Faust for those kinds of applications. Pitching a jig into heavy cover or even for punching duties, I'd pick the Faust over the Power Versatile. Fishing a hollow body frog in extremely heavy cover, both work well, but I still prefer the Power Versatile. Hope that helps, feel free to shoot me a PM anytime.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:21 am

Houndfish wrote:Bronzefly, you will have a PM in a sec. I am right on the edge here but don't want to hijack this thread anymore.
hijack all you want, any talk about MB rods is worth it!

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:35 am

I’ve fished 6” Magdrafts and Ganterel Jrs with the PP and it handled them well. That’s 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 oz range. Wouldn’t go much heavier though.

blw
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by blw » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:38 am

Bronzefly you have a PM.

ibobpeb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ibobpeb » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:24 pm

I have the Hyuga 72H... I bought it specifically for Ganterel Jrs, G2 Shellcrackers, and 6" Line Thru Trout.

It sucks for that.

After 1 whole year of fishing it I did not like it for that. The Hyuga is too tip heavy and too short for my liking. I hated how casting distance is limited because it's so short. It became my frogging rod for heavy cover. Dobyns DC 794 SB is a much better rod for 1.5 oz swimbaits and that's what I use now.

In the beginning, the idea of a long rod turned me off too, but firsthand experience changed my tune on that. Now I prefer longer rods for swimbaits.

Everyone is different so you just have to try it for yourself. You may like it for small swimbaits, but I didn't. Personal preference. Also, I would never throw anything over 2 oz with the Hyuga... feels way overloaded. Megabass was being too generous with their rod rating.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:53 am

ibobpeb wrote:I have the Hyuga 72H... I bought it specifically for Ganterel Jrs, G2 Shellcrackers, and 6" Line Thru Trout.

It sucks for that.

After 1 whole year of fishing it I did not like it for that. The Hyuga is too tip heavy and too short for my liking. I hated how casting distance is limited because it's so short. It became my frogging rod for heavy cover. Dobyns DC 794 SB is a much better rod for 1.5 oz swimbaits and that's what I use now.

In the beginning, the idea of a long rod turned me off too, but firsthand experience changed my tune on that. Now I prefer longer rods for swimbaits.

Everyone is different so you just have to try it for yourself. You may like it for small swimbaits, but I didn't. Personal preference. Also, I would never throw anything over 2 oz with the Hyuga... feels way overloaded. Megabass was being too generous with their rod rating.
Interesting, thanks for the input. I am pretty sure I want a shorter rod, just the transport logistics alone would mean a rod closer to 7' then 8' would see the water far far more often.

I am still worried about the high-end weight rating. I really loved fishing the BBZ Rat and have a ton of spots I want to try one on. I am starting to think that I will just try to pick up a Doyben's Fury SB rod this Black Friday, fish that for a while, then see what direction I want to go from there. I know my current Irod is too light for what I want, I think I would rather err on the side of a "maybe too heavy but cheap" rod and see how they compare to each other. If I can figure out the exact power/action I am looking for, I think that will be a better starting point then looking at length foremost. If the Hyuga doesn't end up being what I am looking for in a swimbait/wakebait rod, then I think I will end up loosing a greater % of my money trying to sell it vs a cheaper and less "weird" rod.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:59 pm

How OROCHI XXX DESTRUCTION 70 would be good for those purposes?
http://www.megabass.co.jp/site/products/f7-70k/
Length 7'0"
Weight 158 g
Sub name DESTRUCTION 70
Lure capa 3/8 - 2oz.
Line capa 12 - 30lb.

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:17 am

Cracker wrote:How OROCHI XXX DESTRUCTION 70 would be good for those purposes?
http://www.megabass.co.jp/site/products/f7-70k/
Length 7'0"
Weight 158 g
Sub name DESTRUCTION 70
Lure capa 3/8 - 2oz.
Line capa 12 - 30lb.

I'd be interested in hearing about this as well.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:34 am

I would make up a different thread entirely for the Destruction in the XXX version, you may get better feedback that way.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 am

I was in a similar position, didn't want a long rod and wanted it to handle baits from typically 1 - 2.5oz (6" magdraft, gantarel jrs, hudd 68's, smaller glide baits) and at a decent price point. Looked at that Hyuga mentioned in this thread but the poster who didn't like it helped sway my decision away from it. Ended up getting the Leviathan at a great price and I think it was the right choice (haven't fished it yet though, ice in the midwest). The TT review on the rod also helped in my decision making. The detachable handle really makes it easy to transport and store versus an 8ft rod. I think I'll enjoy the length of it while out on the water and the fit and finish of the rod is really top notch.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:09 am

I actually caved in an picked up the Hyuga.

I was actually looking at the Leviathan as well, but I was really curious about the Hyuga. I only have a few hours on the water with it so far, but I am really digging it. It casts and works the lures I wanted it for, 68 Special/Huddgill sized swimbaits, a BBZ50 Rat, S-Waver 168, and a WP130. It will even cast and work a 1/2oz frog pretty well. The only thing I have caught on it so far has been a stocker rainbow that swiped at a S-Waver, but it was pleasantly surprised how well I felt the hit. I am really looking forward to getting some warm water time with it.