Shallow spool?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Shallow spool?

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:44 pm

I got two spinning reels that have very shallow spools, what are you guys using for backing?

I have always used cheap mono, but with these shallow spools the uni to uni knot it not getting covered completely
with line, I'm only using maybe 3 feet of mono.

Maybe some kinda of tape :-k

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shallow spool?

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:14 am

I might try this out...

Skip to 1:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QirU7zw6Bw

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:29 am

That's a pretty good idea. My Lew's BB1PRO had a hole to make a knot catch where it couldn't slip (baitcaster though). For a spinning reel I bet this would work perfect, might take a little practice to get right but should be perfect.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:24 am

I use plumbing thread tape (PTFE). It is extremely thin, stretches around the spool, and compresses under the line. It offers a little bit of grip but doesn’t have any adhesive to be left behind on your spool when you change it.

Spools large enough for mono backing get line, but for super shallow spinning spools the PTFE tape seems to do the trick.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:07 am

Farnorth wrote:I use plumbing thread tape (PTFE). It is extremely thin, stretches around the spool, and compresses under the line. It offers a little bit of grip but doesn’t have any adhesive to be left behind on your spool when you change it.

Spools large enough for mono backing get line, but for super shallow spinning spools the PTFE tape seems to do the trick.
The sh!t you never think of! That is =D> worthy!

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:59 am

Farnorth wrote:I use plumbing thread tape (PTFE). It is extremely thin, stretches around the spool, and compresses under the line. It offers a little bit of grip but doesn’t have any adhesive to be left behind on your spool when you change it.

Signed.

I used plumber's tape on a Conquest 51S. It's been on there for a few years, and it still works really well...not one hiccup. 8-)

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:01 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I might try this out...

Skip to 1:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QirU7zw6Bw
I tried this today, I tried my hardest to get it to slip or budge....its not, its solid

Loaded my spool and its good to go, will see if it slips after some time, but I have confidence that its not moving.

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:26 am

Never would have thought of this, awesome idea.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:01 pm

not the most elegant solution, but i just use electrical tape. i tie my knot to get the line on the spool, 1 wrap of electric tape, leaving a small gap for the line to come out, and spool the line on. have not had any problems with it at all.

though i might look into that plumbing tap solution!

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:05 pm

I use the high quality painters tape because it does not leave any sticky behind. Re-spool regular so i dont know how it would do five years later...

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 am

I use electrical tape as well and have found that the expensive stuff leaves little to no residue behind. I also use a little sliver of it to cover my backing/mainline knot on casting reels and it works great for that as well.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:16 am

angry john wrote:I use the high quality painters tape because it does not leave any sticky behind. Re-spool regular so i dont know how it would do five years later...
+1, never had any issues with the braid slipping either.