Removing spool bearing from new metanium MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Removing spool bearing from new metanium MGL

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:01 am

greyhound wrote:
jpmoney wrote:Just wondering if anyone else who has a shimano metanium MGL reel has tried removing the spool bearing? After removing the spool pin and retainer c-clip the bearing doesnt come off the shaft as expected...it still seems to be stuck in place. Do i need some sort of special tool to remove it?
How did you remove this annoying C-Clip? :)
Take 2 small flat blade screw drivers, and on a towel, gently press down on both "ends" it will pop off and into the towel.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:58 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
greyhound wrote:
jpmoney wrote:Just wondering if anyone else who has a shimano metanium MGL reel has tried removing the spool bearing? After removing the spool pin and retainer c-clip the bearing doesnt come off the shaft as expected...it still seems to be stuck in place. Do i need some sort of special tool to remove it?
How did you remove this annoying C-Clip? :)
Take 2 small flat blade screw drivers, and on a towel, gently press down on both "ends" it will pop off and into the towel.
This. And be very staeady, and equally forced on both drivers. It's a royal pain in the nuts. I am in the process of making something that is forked to the right gap to be able to touch the ends of the clip so I can just push it off the shaft. I service a few of these reels and will make my life a bit easier.
<")))><{

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:38 pm

Just a quick question? was there an issue with the stock bearing? Met. bearings are normally very high quality if you change them out with an Orange seal you are not upgrading... you would have to buy a true top tier bearing to upgrade in any noticeable respect. Unless... some people are starting to have problems with them? Do tell 8-[

Kurt

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:29 am

Spool bearings seem to be pretty decent. The pinion bearings however seem to suck. I change them out on every one i service.
<")))><{

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:43 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Spool bearings seem to be pretty decent. The pinion bearings however seem to suck. I change them out on every one i service.
Wow good to know what Pinion bearings have you had the best luck with?

Thanks, Kurt

greyhound
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by greyhound » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:42 am

Kurt L wrote:Just a quick question? was there an issue with the stock bearing? Met. bearings are normally very high quality if you change them out with an Orange seal you are not upgrading... you would have to buy a true top tier bearing to upgrade in any noticeable respect. Unless... some people are starting to have problems with them? Do tell 8-[
Just wanted to clean and lubricate the bearings after a season. They're indeed working pretty good and I've never had the need to replace them.

Thanks guys, the solution with 2 screw drivers and a towel did it :)

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:53 am

Does the hedgehog type R tool fit to remove the spool bearing?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:06 am

Kurt L wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Spool bearings seem to be pretty decent. The pinion bearings however seem to suck. I change them out on every one i service.
Wow good to know what Pinion bearings have you had the best luck with?

Thanks, Kurt

Anything but the factory ones. :lol:
<")))><{