XX PP for small swimbaits?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

XX PP for small swimbaits?

Post by bigfruits » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:41 pm

I managed to break my x4 destruction in two places when kayaking a few wks ago. It was my first time out on the water with it and was having a blast tossing a bbz rat and didnt get to throw anything else. Dont cry for me, im already dead.

I'd love to be able to justify buying the Onager but I dont think the big baits would be very productive in my area.

How does the XX perfect pitch handle hard swim baits up to 1.5 oz? Too fast?

It would serve as a frog rod as well (and i know its excellent for that) but im pretty happy with the FMJ for frogs although the power is not ideal.

What do you guys throw your 1-1.5oz swimbaits on?

Thanks in advance,
-Z

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: XX PP for small swimbaits?

Post by papabassin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:11 pm

I throw 1-1.5oz swimbaits on a Megabass Evoluzion LWL Mephisto. It’s incredible.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:47 pm

It's not the right rod for the task. I've thrown baits close to that with the rod and while it did well it felt like the tip was overloading and prolonged use would be detrimental to the rod IMO. Sounds like it's time for a Super Red Demon :evil22: It'll take your mind off the recent loss

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:57 am

I don't have experience with the rod but the hyuga 7'2 h has been talked about on this site as being very similar to the destruction and the power versatile has been recommended for your techniques listed.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:38 am

I would opt for the Black Jungle Power Versatile myself, or the XX Leviathan if you want a longer rod.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:00 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:I would opt for the Black Jungle Power Versatile myself, or the XX Leviathan if you want a longer rod.
Signed on the Power Versatile. It looks pretty boss with one of these as well:

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:32 pm

LowRange wrote:It's not the right rod for the task. I've thrown baits close to that with the rod and while it did well it felt like the tip was overloading and prolonged use would be detrimental to the rod IMO. Sounds like it's time for a Super Red Demon :evil22: It'll take your mind off the recent loss
The srd is a beef stick and way overkill for those baits. Might be better off with a steez xbd.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:39 pm

Sorry for your loss - the X4 Destruction is a fantastic rod.

On a budget in the Megabass line up, the 72H Hyuga is a great choice. If you want to step it up, the Black Jungle Power Versatile is an amazing rod too and handles baits in that weight range very nicely. Both are in stock and ready to ship at The Tackle Trap!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:38 am

angry john wrote:
LowRange wrote:It's not the right rod for the task. I've thrown baits close to that with the rod and while it did well it felt like the tip was overloading and prolonged use would be detrimental to the rod IMO. Sounds like it's time for a Super Red Demon :evil22: It'll take your mind off the recent loss
The srd is a beef stick and way overkill for those baits. Might be better off with a steez xbd.
I was looking at getting one once and was told by those who have one that is can fish below it's low end rating down to 3/4 oz jig use even. Maybe someone who has the rod can chime in.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:14 pm

My fishing partner loves his and uses it for frogs swim baits and Jigs. TT did a review on the rod a while back and it may be worth your time to do the search. The rod is very nice and the only thing i nit pick about is the real seat is not colorful like the rest of the air beam seats i have seen.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:17 am

bronzefly wrote:Sorry for your loss - the X4 Destruction is a fantastic rod.

On a budget in the Megabass line up, the 72H Hyuga is a great choice.
How well does the Hyuga work at the top of it's rating? I am looking to replace a Fred's Magic Stick with a rod with a bit more room at the high end. Specify, I am looking to throw a BBZ-1 Rat 50 at 2.5oz, which felt too heavy for the Magic Stick. Other then that I will mostly be throwing lighter glide baits, Huddgills and 68 Specials, and some larger topwaters. Right now a Dobyns's MH swimbait rod is my top contender but I would prefer a shorter rod for transport.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:39 am

There is a shimano poison adrena 7 ft 4 swimbait rod on ebay that is rated 1-4 oz that may fit the bill for your 2.5 oz baits. Power vesitile is way to go if you have the coin.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Houndfish wrote:

How well does the Hyuga work at the top of it's rating? I am looking to replace a Fred's Magic Stick with a rod with a bit more room at the high end. Specify, I am looking to throw a BBZ-1 Rat 50 at 2.5oz, which felt too heavy for the Magic Stick. Other then that I will mostly be throwing lighter glide baits, Huddgills and 68 Specials, and some larger topwaters. Right now a Dobyns's MH swimbait rod is my top contender but I would prefer a shorter rod for transport.
I've thrown fast sink 6" Bull Shads on the Hyuga and it handled them just fine. They weigh a little over 2 oz. I think the Hyuga will be fine at 2.5 oz.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:18 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Houndfish wrote:

I've thrown fast sink 6" Bull Shads on the Hyuga and it handled them just fine. They weigh a little over 2 oz. I think the Hyuga will be fine at 2.5 oz.
That is really good to hear, I was not super pumped about dealing with a 7'9" rod. Two questions, First, you have the rod listed as 1/2-3oz, where most other sellers have it as 1/2-4oz, do you know what the correct rating is? Second, the action is listed as "Fast" most places, but you have it as Regular. The rod has been described as "powerful with a parabolic bend", this sounds like what I am looking for as I will be using single hook swimbaits most of the time, is my thinking correct?

I did just buy a reel with purple accents, so there is another point in favor of the Hyuga. :big grin:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:29 pm

You are correct, it's rated up to 4 oz and that has been updated on the website, thanks! Based on how the baits I've fished on the rod felt, I don't know that I would push it much if at all past 3 oz.

It's listed correctly as a "regular" action as described on the Megabass Japan site too. It's a great looking, really nice rod!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap