New Flipping Rod??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New Flipping Rod??

Post by TommyG » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:18 am

Hi Guys, I'm ready for a new flipping rod. Narrowed the choices to the MB Aaron Martins 7'9" or the Dobyns Extreme HP DX 795.
They are both in my price range, full cork grips, good guides, etc. Wondering if anyone has any positive or negative opinions on either or both. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

lostboy45b
Angler
Angler

Re: New Flipping Rod??

Post by lostboy45b » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:04 pm

I am not failiar with the MB rod, but I am with the Dobyns. My opinion is go with the Dobyns, great rod and warranty.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:45 am

I've used the MB 7'9" extensively for two seasons now. It is a great rod for flipping and close range work. It works as a punching rod as well, but is a bit fast and I prefer the MB BJ Punch and Swimbait for that now. My only issue with the MB 7'9" is I have broken two, but both my fault. One I ripped a fish free of cover over the boat and it snapped as the fish came down behind me. The other I motored into a willow patch to get a hung fish in a tourney and the rod went tip first into the willow patch and snapped.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:40 pm

This is my post from an old thread on punching sticks for the Delta. For context, the OP was asking if the DX745 would work well. The Champion 766 was also suggested as a punching stick.

As others have already said, the DX795 Flip is one of the Dobyns Extreme rods. While I used to like my 766, I love the 795.

The 766 Flip is a beast of a rod. It is a fast action rod with a fairly stiff tip. The rod loads really quickly. Hooksets with this rod are pretty much just a 'pop'. I actually kept my drag set so that it would just start to slip on a hard hookset. Otherwise I feared that the heavy hook & 65lb braid would rip the hook out of the fish. This was the rod that I actually learned to punch with. I caught a lot of fish with this rod.

The DX795 Flip has a more moderate action vs the 766 Flip. There are a couple advantages to the more moderate action. First, is that it is easier to keep tension on the fish. When a big fish starts shaking her head with a 1 1/2 - 2oz weight, you've got to keep tension on that line. Otherwise, it'll use the weight to throw the hook. Even when you have it pinned under the mat, the rod action is helping you as you go to dig it out. Second, I can lock down the drag. The rod will absorb more of the hookset shock. Third, when the fish are tentative, the softer tip allows you to lift the rod to feel the fish without spooking them. The rod is more sensitive. One of those sticks that 'just feels right' in your hands.

Punching is work. You are using heavy weights. You are making a bunch of flips & pitches to heavy cover. After a long day of punching, I feel less fatigued using the DX795 rod vs the 766.

Since you were prepared to buy a DX745, I'd urge you to get the DX795. It will cost you $10 more than the DX745. It will $10 well spent.

The DX795 is still my preferred stick. Great rod!

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:43 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am leaning toward the DX795.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:19 am

[attachment=0]IP79-MB 7-9XX.jpg
Decided to go with MB A-Mart Flip Special.
Thanks Gary and Brian at TTT.
Attachments
IP79-MB 7-9XX.jpg
IP79-MB 7-9XX.jpg (86.09 KiB) Viewed 9528 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 am

Please tell ME more about the rod and how you like it...
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:07 pm

First impressions are very good, the fit and finish is top notch, guides are in line, wrapping is done well.
Took it out to the pond for some rock pile testing, feels nice and crisp. The handle is just right for flipping, not too long as to get in the way. Looking forward to getting in some deep trees!.

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:05 pm

I have no experience with the Megabass but have two DX795's. The balance is fantastic for a rod at this length. The action is not too fast and is braid friendly. There is more than ample power to punch with heavier weights. I pitch with 1/4 oz. plastics with them too. It's a great stick.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:50 pm

I have a DX746, it is a nice stick, which is why I was leaning toward the DX795. For now MB gets the nod.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Compare the MB with the Dobyns based on your use of both.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:25 pm

x2

weight, balance point, sensitivity, quality of build

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:07 am

Both are very good looking rods. The fit and finish on both is very good.
The DX746 weighs in at 5.96 oz. The A-Mart comes in at 5.51 oz. Surprised that the 7-9 weighs a bit less than the 7-4.
The Dobyns uses 3 double foot guides, the A-Mart uses 2. The A-Mart has the edge in the sensitivity dept.
[attachment=0]Dobyns balance.jpg
[attachment=0]MB balance.jpg
Attachments
MB balance.jpg
MB balance.jpg (86.19 KiB) Viewed 9230 times
Dobyns balance.jpg
Dobyns balance.jpg (90.15 KiB) Viewed 9230 times

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:17 pm

I debated between these two rods for a long time then went sideways to the Powell 795. The A-Martin looks like it would have been a good choice as I like the full cork grip. Do you sense the power about the same between the A-Martin and Dobyns?

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Yes, the power feels about the same, haven't caught a big enough fish to really test that yet. I think for my intended purpose, which is flipping deep trees and tangled brush, the A-Mart made sense. "choose well grasshopper" :D