Daiwa Paint Issues

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Paint Issues

Post by Salty Parrot » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:26 pm

The first few pics if you look in the corner of the reel near the reel seat you can see bubbling, this was before I sent in the reel. The last pic is after I sent it in and the paint started chipping. Keep in mind I have never dropped this reel and kept it pristine. I even got different knobs, collar plate, and I even bought a RCS G1 SV 1016 Spool for it from Japan so I would never do anything like this on purpose. It just bums me out because for the price that is paid for the reel I expected a better paint job. When some of the cheaper reels do not even have this problem.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:03 am

I think realistically there's nothing to be done that isn't drastic.
If it's a route you are willing to take, just cut wasting your own time and refund it because of mfg defect.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:38 am

Salty Parrot wrote:The first few pics if you look in the corner of the reel near the reel seat you can see bubbling, this was before I sent in the reel. The last pic is after I sent it in and the paint started chipping. Keep in mind I have never dropped this reel and kept it pristine. I even got different knobs, collar plate, and I even bought a RCS G1 SV 1016 Spool for it from Japan so I would never do anything like this on purpose. It just bums me out because for the price that is paid for the reel I expected a better paint job. When some of the cheaper reels do not even have this problem.
I can absolutely agree with you. The one we had to send back had the same “flaking issue” as yours is now showing. I would certainly call Daiwa, and ask for Sergio Flores. He is the service/warranty head honcho, and is very easy to talk to. He should be able to get you taken care of quickly.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:03 am

Haha I have owned this reel for too long to return it. And Casey Yoern is my go to man when it comes to Daiwa service. Gets my reel in and out within a few days. Excellent service from him thats for sure.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:08 am

I have even fished a Shimano Metanium 13 in saltwater, and it did not even have this problem. And yes I know technically you are not supposed to.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Well it only goes downhill.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:38 pm

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:55 pm

Dang, does the reel still function though.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:22 pm

Salty Parrot wrote:Dang, does the reel still function though.
It's a mate's reel. Used in salt, but as the peeling and water intrusion got worse, the reel was neglected, so it was a clusterfck when i opened it up.

The 2nd paint pic is after it was cleaned up somewhat. Some of the bubbling had been around the spool area and rubbed on the spool rim, so had to be peeled back.

Would work now given a gearset change and bearings.
He ended up giving it away.

I guess where I was going was that once it starts bubbling, it's damaged and you either deal with it or respray it. It might keep spreading.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:49 am

What a shame for the reel. I never seen any reel bubble and chip like that before. I wonder if it happens to Shimano.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:43 am

You should've just lived with it. It's about how it functions, or at least it should be, and that paint is purely cosmetic. Unless you leave it in the box, no reel is gonna stay pristine forever, so who cares? You might well get some enjoyment out of fishing it and not worry about every little inevitable chip and scratch. As for that guy with the 50th Zillion, he just didn't give a crap about taking care of that reel, and that I can't abide.
Last edited by poisonokie on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the way.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Salty Parrot wrote:What a shame for the reel. I never seen any reel bubble and chip like that before. I wonder if it happens to Shimano.
Simply no, i haven't seeen anything similar. Even with their spinning reels used exclusively in the harsh Aussie salt-water scene...

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Never had a problem with any Daiwa reel, and I had a bunch.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:09 pm

Its not purely cosmetic when the frame itself is corroding.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:26 pm

Lol, it's not like that reel is ever going to just crumble in your hands or something. It's cosmetic. If they aren't already, get some duralumin frame screws to prevent galvanic corrosion from the steel to the aluminum and keep it flushed, keep your bearings oiled and gears greased and that reel will last.
This is the way.