curado 70 drag slipping

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

curado 70 drag slipping

Post by antoniolopez944 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:41 am

I recently purchased a curado 70 and its been great. Recently, I took the reel apart for maintenance. Ever since I took it apart and put it back together the reels drag starts slipping/squeaking after a few casts. When I get home I usually take it apart and there is water on the drag washer. After dapping the water away the drag works fine. I want to the the issue was the key drag washer was placed on the wrong side (looks like positioning doesn't matter but I could be wrong) and my reel started working better. The drag wouldn't slip as much unless I locked down the drag. After I took my reel apart the first time i added a thin layer of reel butter to the drag if that makes a difference.
thanks for the help guys

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: curado 70 drag slipping

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Reel butter does not belong on drag discs. Either Cals or Shimano Star grease is fine. You need to wipe that reel butter off the drag, or at this point I would consider buying new drag discs.
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:21 pm

Carbontex, buddy.
This is the way.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:25 pm

It squeaks????

Is there a fiber dist below the main gear as well as in it?

Is the bottom toothed disk keyed to the shaft properly?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:25 am

Are the little beveled washers facing the correct way? That normally just has to deal with drag settings and how quick they go from tight to loose, but depending on where you run your settings, it could make a difference...

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:03 am

I believe your issue is either of the two recommended.

1. Shimano Drag grease is what I use. It's designed specifically for their reels and just flat out works. The trick is to not put too much on. You want to thinly coat the drag washer(s) (I haven't taken a 70 apart but typically there are two. one in the gear and one under). When I put them back in, you can barely tell there is drag grease on there but there is. There is absolutely no need to goop that stuff on there. I would recommend getting new drag washers if you aren't able to get the reel butter off.

2. "Those little drag washers" under the drag star need to be aligned properly to provide the right amount of force on the drag system. If you put them in like ((, they won't apply enough pressure and would probably do what you are describing. Especially with reel butter on them. The have to be set up like () in order to compress properly.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:59 am

Should have no problems cleaning those old washers if they are carbon. Spray them down with some brake parts cleaner, then spray some in a bowl(outside) and drop them in for a short soaking. That stuff cuts grease very easily, and should only take a few cycles to get them thoroughly cleaned.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:40 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:Should have no problems cleaning those old washers if they are carbon. Spray them down with some brake parts cleaner, then spray some in a bowl(outside) and drop them in for a short soaking. That stuff cuts grease very easily, and should only take a few cycles to get them thoroughly cleaned.
I would think brake clean would destroy carbon washers. That stuff is brutal on certain materials.
<")))><{

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Clean them with acetone. Its safe for them and cleans as well as brake parts cleaner.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:21 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:Should have no problems cleaning those old washers if they are carbon. Spray them down with some brake parts cleaner, then spray some in a bowl(outside) and drop them in for a short soaking. That stuff cuts grease very easily, and should only take a few cycles to get them thoroughly cleaned.
I would think brake clean would destroy carbon washers. That stuff is brutal on certain materials.
Not at all. I've cleaned the same washers several times over the years without a problem. I like Acetone as well, but is expensive in comparison.

antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by antoniolopez944 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, I've wiped all the reel butter off and it made the situation a little better. My problem as far as I can tell is that, after I start casting around 30 mins. It seems water gets into my drag and that is what causes the slippage. I've taken the reel apart to find water inside the drag and once I wipe it off the drag preforms as it should. I take it out and 30 mins later water seems to get in there again, I have no idea why this is happening. The drag washer 5234 I placed like this ( onto the key washer like this (( but I'm going to try )( again. The way it seems on the schematic though it doesn't appear to matter which way the key drag washer is placed. I could be wrong though

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:08 am

I have recently been using my 70 for jerkbaits and have been experiencing the same issue with the drag that seems to be "loosening" itself when I have the drag set really low. I thought it was myself hitting the star drag while jerking the rod but I'm not quite convinced. Just took it apart last night and the drag seemed pretty dry, put a couple of dabs on shimano drag grease on the drag washers and I hope that fixes it. No telling if I'll be able to use it again this season as temps have plummeted here in N. IL.

I should also note that there appeared to be wear on the washer under the locking nut which is tightened by the star drag. The washer is part number 2127. I flipped it around so the unworn side is making contact with the roller clutch inner tube. Also interesting to note that shimano did not use the beveled washers for the drag system on the 70.