Shimano curado 71 handle knob not smooth

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano curado 71 handle knob not smooth

Post by antoniolopez944 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Hello, I recently purchased a curado 71 everything is perfect expect for a knob on the handle. One of the knobs spins freely and feels frictionless while the other feels like it's rubbing against something almost like sand. At first I thought maybe one of the knobs was bad so I ordered 2 new knobs and installed them. The shaft for the knob that was fluid and frictionless continued to do so. While the shaft of the knob that felt like friction continued to feel like there was something in there. I'm not sure what to do or what is the problem since none of my other shimanos have done this. I lost the receipt for the reel and I don't want to return it. Since I love it except for the one knob that is rough.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano curado 71 handle knob not smooth

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:35 am

Sounds like your shaft is messed up. Either it has a bur or it’s bent. Could be a bearing or bushing is messed up or has some grit in it. I think the 70/71’s shipped with one bearing and one bushing in the knob. You can try replacing them with two new bearings. eBay has them for 99 cents a piece. You need a 4x7x2.5 to replace it.

This is a quick fix and gives you more length on the handle. Complete switch out. Use your nut and nut cover. I like these larger knobs too. This handle comes with the 96mm handle, knobs, 4 bearings and it’s shimmed to remove all the knob play. Shimano factory part. http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=8397

Ends up looking like this:

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:56 am

Usually the post is bent, or the bearing is bad, or there is an extra shim/spacer installed. Try removing the brass spacer on the outer end under the screw and see if the knob loosens up. Make sure the post isn't bent. Check the bearing to make sure it is smooth and actually rotates.

antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by antoniolopez944 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks for the help I was using eddies fast bearings for the knobs. I ordered handle bearings from shimano and the noise is gone. The knobs are smooth now, but for some reason one of my knobs spins better than the other one. Its the same on my metanium too.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:16 am

There are shims that are used from the factory to adjust tolerance and tightness. Playing around with these shims will help make them spin the same, but it could be the amount of grease in the bearing on that paddle.