Light line leader connection

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Light line leader connection

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:41 am

What are you using for a light line connection.

10lb braid to 6lb flourocarbon?

I been using the FG knot but it seems to be harder to tie and cinch down with these light lines.

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Light line leader connection

Post by JWY » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:19 am

Slim beauty should be pretty good with thin (=< 16lb) mono leader. If you are going to use fluorocarbon instead of nylon, maybe consider passing the line through the locking loop (i.e. the last loop) 2-3 times to create a cushion to prevent slippage. I have been using this knot on my light spinning outfit for many years. With properly set drag and correctly tied knots, it never failed me. And we fish for big fish here on light gear...

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:24 am

Double uni, modified slim beauty and one I've bastardised between a FG and a double uni.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:35 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:What are you using for a light line connection.

10lb braid to 6lb flourocarbon?

I been using the FG knot but it seems to be harder to tie and cinch down with these light lines.
Get the Diachii knot tool 2.0. Gives great FG knots in no time in any gauge braid/leader combination.

Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Inspectorlee » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:41 am

Almost all of my fishing is done with lighter lines (20-30 lb braid with 10-15 lb fluoro leader). I still use the FG knot as my connection knot, but I do tie this at home. I tend to use a 3-4 feet leader so that as I cut and retie lures, there's no need to retie the leader itself. However, when on the water and I have a break-off or need to retie a new leader for some other reason, I tend to use the alberto knot. I used to do 10 wraps up and 10 wraps down but after reading a bit from other fishermen's experience, I've changed it to 8-10 wraps up and 3 wraps down. No change in strength from my experience with the decreased wraps coming down.

I do have more confidence with the FG knot, and if the bite isn't hot when I'm fishing, I will take the time to re-tie it on the shore/boat. I've tied it enough now that I can get the time down to about a minute and a half, so honestly, it's not that bad. Not sure why the thinner lines are giving you trouble with cinching down. Perhaps you need to watch a different video on how to tie it? I say this because there's lots of videos on how to hold all the various parts and I was confused until I saw a certain video that clicked with me. It became so much easier after watching that video.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:20 am

Alberto knot has been working for years. Tighten well, cut the mono tag right at the knot, leave 1/2" PE tag.

oe

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:04 am

Modified Albright or "RP" Knot here. I don't have a PHD in knot tying, so I try to keep my knot tying as simple, quick and consistent as I can. Messed around with the FG knot for a little bit, but couldn't justify the time it took me to tie. Also, I was probably doing something wrong because its strength seemed very inconsistent for me. Never had an issue with the Modified Albright, so I just tossed the FG knot in the can and haven't thought about it since. :lol:

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:26 pm

I got the FG down pretty good and can tie if fairly quick, but ever since I been using this 6lb sunline FC its hard to
get a good connection, I use the same 8lb and 10lb sunline FC without any issues.... :-k

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:43 pm

I have found when using the FG knot and smaller diameter lines you just need to make 6 or 8 more wraps than you would with larger lines. I have also found that if you grab main line with your teeth and put tension on line by putting rod where it wont move and wrap the leader instead of the braid it is way easier to keep the knot nice and tight. Also by making wraps with leader it allows you to make your wraps 6 or 8 inches down from the tag end of the leader, after throwing in a half hitch to make sure the wraps can't move you can grab the braid and the leader and give it a nice steady pull and it digs right into the flouro. Then another security hitch and good to go. Once figured out you can do it in 1 to 2 mins. Good Luck!!!!!

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I got the FG down pretty good and can tie if fairly quick, but ever since I been using this 6lb sunline FC its hard to
get a good connection, I use the same 8lb and 10lb sunline FC without any issues.... :-k
How many wraps? Before you finish the knot, either with half hitches or better still a Rizutto, I assume that you are pulling it tight so that the braid changes colour over all the wraps? Could be the hardness of the Sunline is preventing the wraps from biting in? I stopped using FC years ago when I realised it doesn't knot to braid as well as a good quality mono, is more expensive, and does not catch more fish. I just use Schneider Klear line from 6 lb through to 60 lb; top stuff with good abrasion resistance at a good price.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 am

Apparently some anglers believe the "best" knot is the most difficult to tie knot that only the most experienced anglers can successfully tie. On the other hand, I believe the best knot is one that is easily tied and can be duplicated repeatedly in all fishing situations...

oe

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 am

for years ive been tying an Albright or reverse Albright using about 7 wraps. have not had any issues. I like it because when you tighten down on it, it either comes apart, which I messed it up. or it holds and im good.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:49 am

The only knot I use is the RP knot. I have tried others but always go back to the RP knot.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:09 am

Never had issues with the improved albright knot, I usually do 6-8 wraps up, and down. I've used this knot for 6 pound line, never had an issue if tied correctly.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Before claiming how great some types of knots are, they need to be tested under controlled and repeated conditions. Please read aquaholiks very long thread on braid and knot strengths on SOL.