replacement suggestion

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

replacement suggestion

Post by Dexter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:03 am

Snapped my adrena M166(below 4th eye)tossing a spook. Rod was over 2 years old...never abused but...no warranty. Rod was paired with a IS73 & honeycomb spool. I fish a lot of small northern lakes loaded with lilly pads. The combo was perfect for "sniper" casting...hitting holes and edges. Toss mostly pop-max, spooks, etc. Rod was strong enough to turn fish after they're hooked. Looking for recommendations: 6'6" +/-, 3.9oz +/-, $400 +/- & WARRANTY. Thanks

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: replacement suggestion

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:59 am

Both of these are in stock at The Tackle Trap:

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:27 am

go for the snatch

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:23 pm

call the Trap, they will hook you up!!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Hulkster wrote:go for the snatch
Funny, my Dad said the same thing to me when I was a kid. :lol:
<")))><{

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:55 pm

join the club lolol

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:35 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Hulkster wrote:go for the snatch
Funny, my Dad said the same thing to me when I was a kid. :lol:
If you followed dad's advice, you'd have no money left to spend on fishing tackle. :D

"The cheapest woman tends to be the one you end up paying for" - Jack Reacher

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:38 pm

That F5 will have way more power than the Adrena did. Not what you're looking for. The medium powered Adrenas are more like a power finesse rod.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:30 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:That F5 will have way more power than the Adrena did. Not what you're looking for. The medium powered Adrenas are more like a power finesse rod.
Interesting. I haven't fished the Adrena. I would think that for fishing a 1/2 oz Pop Max and a spook, accurate casting, power to turn fish away from heavy lily pads, right price range, right taper for the presentation, AND A WARRANTY with the service to match through The Tackle Trap, that the F5-68X Bandersnatch would be an ideal choice. However, I fish a 1/2 oz. Rio Rico with 30# Daiwa Samurai Braid on the F3-610X Hein in open water on a regular basis and really enjoy it. I wouldn't want to fish it around a bunch of lily pads and big fish however.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:25 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:That F5 will have way more power than the Adrena did. Not what you're looking for. The medium powered Adrenas are more like a power finesse rod.
Interesting. I haven't fished the Adrena. I would think that for fishing a 1/2 oz Pop Max and a spook, accurate casting, power to turn fish away from heavy lily pads, right price range, right taper for the presentation, AND A WARRANTY with the service to match through The Tackle Trap, that the F5-68X Bandersnatch would be an ideal choice. However, I fish a 1/2 oz. Rio Rico with 30# Daiwa Samurai Braid on the F3-610X Hein in open water on a regular basis and really enjoy it. I wouldn't want to fish it around a bunch of lily pads and big fish however.
I think the 16 Destroyer Cyclone would be the closest match to the Adrena he's replacing in terms of power, length, and taper. The Adrenas are really over rated regarding specs.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:12 am

A bit under the stated budget but I'd also look at the Orochi XX Jerkbait Special and the Spinnerbait Special. Both are very versatile rods, and my Jerkbait Special handles 3/5oz Gunfish really well. But around cover I'd likely prefer the power of the Spinnerbait Special.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:11 am

Kschultz76 wrote:A bit under the stated budget but I'd also look at the Orochi XX Jerkbait Special and the Spinnerbait Special. Both are very versatile rods, and my Jerkbait Special handles 3/5oz Gunfish really well. But around cover I'd likely prefer the power of the Spinnerbait Special.
The Spinnerbait Special also has significantly more power than his Adrena did. I own both rods.
I'd maybe take a look at the 6'6 medium Major Craft Ms-x.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:26 pm

I would think that casting full size spooks, you would need a medium heavy rod. Bandersnatch looks ideal for topwater.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Thanks guys for all the suggestion. Several things I liked about the M166: tossing 1/4 oz top waters (pop-x etc), length of rod, hook set and ability to turn a fish. I've already got an nrx 843, St Croix LXC70mf & Destroyer f4 super orochi (thank you Jerry) so that slot is covered. If anyone has experience with the Cyclone or a similar stick, I'd really appreciate your 2 cents. Thanks

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Dexter wrote:Thanks guys for all the suggestion. Several things I liked about the M166: tossing 1/4 oz top waters (pop-x etc), length of rod, hook set and ability to turn a fish. I've already got an nrx 843, St Croix LXC70mf & Destroyer f4 super orochi (thank you Jerry) so that slot is covered. If anyone has experience with the Cyclone or a similar stick, I'd really appreciate your 2 cents. Thanks
Nice group of rods there, I know the NRX 843c MBR well - did you mean Destroyer X4 Super Orochi? It's an F5, just trying to understand what you have.

You may like the Cyclone in an F4 "regular" taper then, since you've mentioned 1/4 oz Pop-X rather than the 1/2 oz Pop Max. You mentioned spooks, maybe a puppy? Personally, I'd still rather have the Hein having fished both rods, but if you like the 6'6" length, the Cyclone will get the job done for the smaller baits.

Again, the Hein... that rod has the "it" factor and is incredibly versatile from top water to bottom contact.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap