Spool tension

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spool tension

Post by PBP » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

After changing the gears on scorpion 1000xt to core 50 aluminum 7:1 gears noticed spool tension knob needs to be tighten all the way down to have any pressure to be applied on spool shaft and I am not really able to adjust tension with the same level of control as before. I thought I have lost a spoon tension spacer, but after checking all seen to be good. I am puzzled what could be the reason?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spool tension

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:21 pm

you missing a cc washer?

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:34 pm

Do yo mean the square carbon type one under the cast control knob, I think Simano calls it "spool tension spacer"? I have this one, this is the fist thing I checked.
Thanks.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:01 am

Doesn't sound like you changed anything to do with the spool, so that's a weird problem to have. Is the spool centered in the frame when everything is put together and tightened up? Easiest way to know if something is missing.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:54 pm

looks like spool is centered, and seem like casting is ok too, but it is so difficult to adjust spool tension, I doubt I can even have enough tension for heavier lures if I need to.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:59 am

The cast control knob should not be your default for adjusting the casting on your reel. I suspect there are dimples in the spacers from previous heavy tension. Remove the spacers under the cast control knob and left side plate bearing. Flip them over and reinstall.

Use your brakes for the majority of your cast control. The knob is for slight tuning and nothing more. This will provide the best casting performance.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:05 pm

Bantam1 wrote:The cast control knob should not be your default for adjusting the casting on your reel. I suspect there are dimples in the spacers from previous heavy tension. Remove the spacers under the cast control knob and left side plate bearing. Flip them over and reinstall.

Use your brakes for the majority of your cast control. The knob is for slight tuning and nothing more. This will provide the best casting performance.
Thank you for the reply. I use tension control for slight adjustments only, there are no indents or anything on spacers and I tried to flip them - no difference. I even tried to use the tension control cap and spacer from my chronarch 50 e, did not help,the same thing. But on the 50e adjustment works just fine. On Scorpion I can hardly have enough pressure to stop 1/4 oz luge from free falling...
Well, I guess I am kind of messed up a bit one of my favorite reels.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:09 am

On the cast control knob there are two spacers. One small round spacer, and a square spacer above it. Check to see that both are there.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:41 pm

Both round and square spacers are in place.
I guess I try put the original gears back and see if it makes a difference, although doesn't make sense.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:10 am

The gears have nothing to do with the spool tension. That is controlled by the side plate being closed all of the way, or the spacers on each end of the spool.