A rod ahead of its time

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: A rod ahead of its time

Post by capt1fish » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:02 pm

mhood wrote:This one for sure:

old_rod_ID.jpg
Oh man. What serious bass angler didnt have a Series One back in the 80's? Thanks for bringing me back to memory lane.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:53 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
toddmc wrote:The Point Blank rod blanks fish differently than the other blanks that I have fished. They are very sensitive, light, and strong. The price is very reasonable for how good they are. They remind me of the handful of NRX blanks that I have fished. They have a very thick and stiff butt section, combined with a smooth loading tip.
Unfortunately, there aren't enough models. I wish that they made a 7' heavy. I don't want to have to cut down a longer blank.
I agree. Hard to explain, but these blanks just feel special.

I have 3 made from them. Two have cork grips and the other is a custom CF grip. That rod has lost me more jigs setting the hook on rocks and trees than any other :big grin:

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:41 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:Shimano Cumulus. Still haven't seen a rod that can touch them for weight.

That 7'1"...

Wish I would have bought that one as well. Have the 6'10 casting and it weighs 3 ounces.

Put me in your will for that rod! :lol:

I've probably caught more fish on that stick than any other over the past several years...I generally have a 1/4oz Baby Rage Craw tied on.

What have you found the 6'10" to excel at?
This may sound "odd" but I don't like it for bottom contact all that much. The only exception is I will use it for really light wire finesse plastics/jigs on occasion.

What I do like it "best" for is jerkbaits and topwater poppers. With it being a very light rod and given the fatigue of using techniques that require the user to work the rod to impart action in the bait, this rod has helped with fatigue when fishing these kids of baits for a long time. It also has the perfect action for these techniques.

Also the oddest thing is this rod is labeled as a Medium Heavy. IMO it is the most improperly rated rod I have ever fished. The rod loads pretty deep into the blank while casting and once a fish is hooked up. Also I don't feel comfortable casting anything much heavier than just under a 1/2 oz. The rod fishes more like a true Medium. For reference I have a Majorcraft Speedstyle ML casting rod that isn't too far off from how this rod behaves though the Cumulus has a touch more power.

So I have found this particular rod to pair perfect with a Alphas SV 105 and 8# line. Perfect for hard and softbait finesse apps. After several years of trying it for weightless plastics and texas rigs and getting a very poor hook up ratio I have moved it onto lighter apps and it seems to feel perfect for those. I am sure others will have different uses and perhaps findings so your mileage may vary...

I could totally see that. I have always wanted to give the 6'5" casting model a shot at small diving jerkbaits like the Pointer 78DD...would love to have the Cumulus sensitivity deadsticking those baits in cold water.

The labeling on the 7'1" is odd as well. I'll fish it up until the grass starts getting thick in the Summer, then I put it down until Autumn arrives.

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:Shimano Cumulus. Still haven't seen a rod that can touch them for weight.

That 7'1"...

If there was ever a rod that i never once felt the need to upgrade/ replace or got bored of.....that was it.
Amen brother. 8-)

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:51 pm

rockchalk06 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
toddmc wrote:The Point Blank rod blanks fish differently than the other blanks that I have fished. They are very sensitive, light, and strong. The price is very reasonable for how good they are. They remind me of the handful of NRX blanks that I have fished. They have a very thick and stiff butt section, combined with a smooth loading tip.
Unfortunately, there aren't enough models. I wish that they made a 7' heavy. I don't want to have to cut down a longer blank.
I agree. Hard to explain, but these blanks just feel special.

I have 3 made from them. Two have cork grips and the other is a custom CF grip. That rod has lost me more jigs setting the hook on rocks and trees than any other :big grin:
Hopefully you are not fishing tungsten. It does get hard to feel the difference between hard objects with a sensitive rod. We've got a bunch of brush on my home lake and it's hard to tell the difference between a tungsten drop shot weight bouncing off of consecutive branches and the tap tap of a fish on the Point Blank rods.

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:19 pm

I absolutely remember the Techna AV, as well as the All Star T40x. The old boron rods were also unobtainable for me.
2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:40 am

Redlinerobert wrote:I absolutely remember the Techna AV, as well as the All Star T40x. The old boron rods were also unobtainable for me.
I remember when All star T40x were the priciest rods in Bass pro's catalog
That was in the late 90s right?
I remember debating all star t40x and IMX...but then glx came out and had to have it....(could be off on the time frame though)
Ended up buying a 2 piece glx spinning rod for a florida trip....broke my personal best largemouth that still stands at 26". Closes since was a 25x19.5 jersey donkey.

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:04 pm

I wish I still had that T40x. I sold it a few years back. Cool rod.
2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300