A rod ahead of its time

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

A rod ahead of its time

Post by capt1fish » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:33 am

Back in the early 90's Fenwick introduced their TechnaAV rods. Sadly they got cheapened in their product line and ultimately discountinued. But the first generation of that graphite, to me and a few friends that still use them, rank as being ultra sensitive and perhaps the most available then. The rods retailed for just under $300 if I recall and was a direct competitor to the MBR GLX series. They even came in a hefty rod tube. Very high end.

I've never seen these rods for sale on any message boards and probably for good reason. But was able to provide a couple last night that I'm stoked to add to my collection.

Any rods that you have experience that you felt was ahead of its time?

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: A rod ahead of its time

Post by Brad in Texas » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 am

I bought a G-Rod from a friend (he is here on this forum, too) and it is the company's 2 piece trout series rod. It uses the new graphene material which is the one carbon atom wide material in layers with other rod building materials. I have never felt anything like it. It is super strong yet loads up very well. It just feels totally different to me.

This could represent the sort of next step of innovation you speak of having experienced back in the 90s.

I'll have to get one of their bass rods soon!

Brad

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:37 am

Shimano Cumulus. Still haven't seen a rod that can touch them for weight.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:00 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:Shimano Cumulus. Still haven't seen a rod that can touch them for weight.

That 7'1"...

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:21 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:Shimano Cumulus. Still haven't seen a rod that can touch them for weight.

That 7'1"...

Wish I would have bought that one as well. Have the 6'10 casting and it weighs 3 ounces.

Put me in your will for that rod! :lol:

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:47 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:

That 7'1"...

Wish I would have bought that one as well. Have the 6'10 casting and it weighs 3 ounces.

I've probably caught more fish on that stick than any other over the past several years...I generally have a 1/4oz Baby Rage Craw tied on.

What have you found the 6'10" to excel at?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:22 pm

The Point Blank rod blanks fish differently than the other blanks that I have fished. They are very sensitive, light, and strong. The price is very reasonable for how good they are. They remind me of the handful of NRX blanks that I have fished. They have a very thick and stiff butt section, combined with a smooth loading tip.
Unfortunately, there aren't enough models. I wish that they made a 7' heavy. I don't want to have to cut down a longer blank.

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:53 pm

I feel that way about my Fenwick ACES I bought this spring when they came out. The rod is in the low 80 gram range, can throw 1 gram lures, and yet has the power to land 10 pound bass. Fenwick still makes some truly amazing rods just not domestically anymore.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:34 pm

toddmc wrote:The Point Blank rod blanks fish differently than the other blanks that I have fished. They are very sensitive, light, and strong. The price is very reasonable for how good they are. They remind me of the handful of NRX blanks that I have fished. They have a very thick and stiff butt section, combined with a smooth loading tip.
Unfortunately, there aren't enough models. I wish that they made a 7' heavy. I don't want to have to cut down a longer blank.
I agree. Hard to explain, but these blanks just feel special.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:35 pm

southpaw619 wrote:I feel that way about my Fenwick ACES I bought this spring when they came out. The rod is in the low 80 gram range, can throw 1 gram lures, and yet has the power to land 10 pound bass. Fenwick still makes some truly amazing rods just not domestically anymore.
I would like to source some JDM Fenwicks at some point. Not cheap!

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:

That 7'1"...

I've probably caught more fish on that stick than any other over the past several years...I generally have a 1/4oz Baby Rage Craw tied on.

What have you found the 6'10" to excel at?
This may sound "odd" but I don't like it for bottom contact all that much. The only exception is I will use it for really light wire finesse plastics/jigs on occasion.

What I do like it "best" for is jerkbaits and topwater poppers. With it being a very light rod and given the fatigue of using techniques that require the user to work the rod to impart action in the bait, this rod has helped with fatigue when fishing these kids of baits for a long time. It also has the perfect action for these techniques.

Also the oddest thing is this rod is labeled as a Medium Heavy. IMO it is the most improperly rated rod I have ever fished. The rod loads pretty deep into the blank while casting and once a fish is hooked up. Also I don't feel comfortable casting anything much heavier than just under a 1/2 oz. The rod fishes more like a true Medium. For reference I have a Majorcraft Speedstyle ML casting rod that isn't too far off from how this rod behaves though the Cumulus has a touch more power.

So I have found this particular rod to pair perfect with a Alphas SV 105 and 8# line. Perfect for hard and softbait finesse apps. After several years of trying it for weightless plastics and texas rigs and getting a very poor hook up ratio I have moved it onto lighter apps and it seems to feel perfect for those. I am sure others will have different uses and perhaps findings so your mileage may vary...

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:03 pm

capt1fish wrote:Back in the early 90's Fenwick introduced their TechnaAV rods. Sadly they got cheapened in their product line and ultimately discountinued. But the first generation of that graphite, to me and a few friends that still use them, rank as being ultra sensitive and perhaps the most available then. The rods retailed for just under $300 if I recall and was a direct competitor to the MBR GLX series. They even came in a hefty rod tube. Very high end.

I've never seen these rods for sale on any message boards and probably for good reason. But was able to provide a couple last night that I'm stoked to add to my collection.

Any rods that you have experience that you felt was ahead of its time?
I'll add to that fenwick list the HCG.....(i think that 's what it was) they were solid rods filled with some magic foam. Pretty cool.

Anyone remember the spider wire rods? wrapped with spider wire PE from about the first guide up??

THe best and most saddened to see go have to be cape fear rods. I sold mine for 400$ when their prices spiked about 8 years or so ago. Sad to not see anything comparable to have come to market.

THere was a shimano rod and reel combo a long time ago where the spinner was mounted to the rod. It was all silver if my memory serves me correctly. And it was $$$$$$$

I would absolutely love an interline bfs rod

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:10 pm

That 7'1 still at least to me is the best all around spinnerbait/ jig/ worm rod ever made...great reel seat and ergonomics. NRX level sensitivity....Great guides and guide train....Durable as hell...Light as @#$%
An action that loads well really does cast extraordinarily well for a bass rod (something not many bass rods do)

I haven't fished a steez ags in that similar size / action but i bet it would come close......but never have I ever felt the need to upgrade or replace that rod. If that rod was a 7'2 with an inch more below the reel seat it would be flawless.

As far as I'm concerned it's one of the best USDM rods ever made

I'd love to see a direct replacement.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:15 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:

That 7'1"...

If there was ever a rod that i never once felt the need to upgrade/ replace or got bored of.....that was it.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:41 pm

This one for sure:
old_rod_ID.jpg
old_rod_ID.jpg (197.68 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker