Soak with warm water?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Soak with warm water?

Post by joeim8 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi Guys,

I have heard of many people soaking freshly lined spinning reel spools in warm water prior to using to help limit twisting. Most articles I have read or videos I have watched are typically dealing with mono line.

Does anyone use this trick for FC? What are the pro's and can there be any cons?

Thanks.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Soak with warm water?

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:28 pm

Mono's absorb water, that's why some soak I guess. Or they could just cast and let that water do the same thing but whatever... :lol: I don't see how it would limit twist, per se, but it does tame it for lack of better term. You won't have the same result with pure fluoro. It does not absorb water. Hybrid this or that then perhaps to some extent I guess.

If twist is an issue you can mitigate by letting it untwist dragging it. Release the spool either behind an idling boat or walking shore, the line only with nothing tied to it, drag 50 feet or so then reel back in. It'll be straight again, ready to go, lets your line last longer, and offers prime opportunity to inspect for possible damage. Kind of a pain but a good habit nonetheless.
PEACE