Okuma Celilo Ultralight Rods?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
replica66[]
Angler
Angler

Okuma Celilo Ultralight Rods?

Post by replica66[] » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:24 pm

My son gave me a new Okuma "Celilo" ultralight rod that is 6 1/2 foot long and 2 pieces. It says that it is "trout" rod and its rated for 2 to 4 lb test line. I fish primarily from a boat or float tube for the large Bluegill, Redears and crappie that are in my local Lake Perris here in southern California. I fish with small hand-tyed jigs and spoons and I use 2 lb test line. My question is: if anyone owns this rod or used one, and how you liked or dis-liked it. I believe the Celilo comes in four lengths, from 4 1/2 to 7 1/2 foot. The rod looks nice and feels good, but you really cannot tell how it handles until you cast with it and catch a few fish with it. I put a Pflueger Trion 20x reel spooled with 2 lb Izorline XXX Super Co-Polymer. I have not yet fished with this rod yet because of a medical procedure, but I can't wait to try it out in a few weeks.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Okuma Celilo Ultralight Rods?

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:11 pm

The Cello 6'6" spinning rod has been my FAVORITE river/stream trout rod for my area. I have caught wild browns on it over 20" in the local river near me and it has handled both large and small fish in current just fine. My brother has caught bass on his and boy is it fun! You will really like the rod. Not super pretty or overly expensive but this is one rod that for the price and enjoyment, definitely exceeds expectations. Enjoy it and post some fish pictures!

replica66[]
Angler
Angler

Re: Okuma Celilo Ultralight Rods?

Post by replica66[] » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Big-Bass.. Cool! Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the quick reply too. I know it's not Okuma's "top of the line" ultralight rod, but it's what I need and all I need. I'm trying to get away from all the short ultralight rods that were popular 10 to 20 years ago.