Fishing- Passion vs. Addiction

Post by Rodster14 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:35 am

Where exactly is the line?

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fishing- Passion vs. Addiction

Post by cortman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:35 am

Isn't addiction when you can kind of realize you should stop and/or you want to stop but can't?
I never want to stop. :)

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:12 am

the fishing part isn't the problem I think, at least for me. on the other hand I might have an issue with the tackle hording. :D

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:30 pm

Addiction is living the whole dream - buying all the latest and greatest and living life on "all the twitters" even if you're a mediocre fisherman / woman. Having to have your fishing life in constant motion and somewhat peer reviewed and justified.

Passion is having what you need to fulfil your required piscotorial needs, doesnt need to be the latest or the greatest or subjected to modern trends or peer pressure. Passion to me is just getting out there to 'scratch that itch'.

At this present i would call myself a passionate fisho, one without the need for any justification to what i do or achieve, from either a online community or physical. I don't need to post up the baged out sessions while perfectly in frame and hash tag possible future sponsors.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:40 pm

Not sure about passion but addiction occurs when you join this site! :laugh1:

Tack22
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Tack22 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Passion is what drives you to do what you really want to do. I think addiction is more of like a habit.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:31 am

Passion. And one helluva addictive passion at that. :lol:
<")))><{

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Passion creates, addiction consumes.

Hallman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hallman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:39 am

I think it becomes an addiction when you start spending beyond your means.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:30 pm

This is a lot of info, but for me fishing was a therapeutic remedy for a former addiction. I have been clean 5 years from HEAVY pain medicine addiction, and had remembered always liking fishing in high school, and in college before I got off track. So after I finally started seeing results and strictly sticking to programs to clean my life up, I took up fishing. First thing I did was purchase some nicer gear (use father's aluminum boat for now) because I was so happy to not be spending +50 dollars a day to not be forced into withdrawal. And the rest just picked up from there. Having this hobby/passion to be addicted to has replaced that non-stop, running search in my brain. I write down on paper plans for rods/reels/line, and plan out lures to use on trips, etc. if I ever get down or start having just generalized negative feelings. Addiction is and has been terrible, most people just view you as an idiot who cannot control themselves, unless someone has been there it is hard to understand; even I still don't understand some addictions people create. Fishing in general makes me very happy though, it takes me back to another time, and maybe a future time where I can take my own kids one day, but as of now fishing/tackle has been a part of me turning my life around. The void addiction leaves begs to be filled, I am very thankful I found this passion for tackle, fishing, and all that goes with it.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:06 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:This is a lot of info, but for me fishing was a therapeutic remedy for a former addiction. I have been clean 5 years from HEAVY pain medicine addiction, and had remembered always liking fishing in high school, and in college before I got off track. So after I finally started seeing results and strictly sticking to programs to clean my life up, I took up fishing. First thing I did was purchase some nicer gear (use father's aluminum boat for now) because I was so happy to not be spending +50 dollars a day to not be forced into withdrawal. And the rest just picked up from there. Having this hobby/passion to be addicted to has replaced that non-stop, running search in my brain. I write down on paper plans for rods/reels/line, and plan out lures to use on trips, etc. if I ever get down or start having just generalized negative feelings. Addiction is and has been terrible, most people just view you as an idiot who cannot control themselves, unless someone has been there it is hard to understand; even I still don't understand some addictions people create. Fishing in general makes me very happy though, it takes me back to another time, and maybe a future time where I can take my own kids one day, but as of now fishing/tackle has been a part of me turning my life around. The void addiction leaves begs to be filled, I am very thankful I found this passion for tackle, fishing, and all that goes with it.
=D> Great writeup and good for you for taking that step in your life and using fishing as such a force for good. Thanks for sharing that.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Addiction has encompassed all of us at one time or another over something somehow someway. Everybody. Be honest...

Passion is much more elusive. Often misinterpreted as desire or pleasure, passion has little to do with either. It is unspoken.
PEACE

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:17 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:Addiction has encompassed all of us at one time or another over something somehow someway. Everybody. Be honest...

Passion is much more elusive. Often misinterpreted as desire or pleasure, passion has little to do with either. It is unspoken.
This is true, and I haven't seen anyone drinking JJ's magic yet. I know versus other hobbies, my passion isn't so bad. I know friends with $15000 in guns that they shoot only a few times a year. I fish a lot, have about 13 nice combos and a decent amount of tackle. My father has TONS of duck hunting equipment and doesn't even go every year. Now when you get into boats and heavy electronics, fishing can be... well, you know.

duon0035
Angler
Angler

Post by duon0035 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:15 am

To me, it's an addiction when it has higher priority over everything else including family time.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:14 pm

I'm an addict , that's when you spend more money than you can afford on fishing tackle without any guaranteed return.
Passion, well passion is a bit more subjective . In my mind it's hard to function knowing you have been suddenly cut off from your fix (addict) .
Passion means I once again simply deal with ups and downs . I am passionate about women. I'm addicted to fishing.