Sufix Super 21 Mono

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Sufix Super 21 Mono

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:04 am

Have not seen this line discussed here.

It caught my attention in the thread that I started on best crankbait line when one post said that he preferred the line.

Looked it up on the Sufix site, and the spec that really surprised me was the small line diameter and the pound test.

The "usual" mono and FC lines with a 0.30 mm diameter have a 10 lb test. But the Super 21 line with a 0.30 mm was listed as having a 17 lb test.

Would appreciate comments on the line.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sufix Super 21 Mono

Post by fishballer06 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:12 am

I bought some 14lb. test of it back whenever it was released and I used it for topwater. From what I remember, it worked just fine for me. For the cost of mono, I'd suggest buying a spool and trying it out for yourself.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:09 am

Going to buy some this evening at the local Dick's. TW doesn't carry it.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:44 pm

BlaineFred wrote:Have not seen this line discussed here.

It caught my attention in the thread that I started on best crankbait line when one post said that he preferred the line.

Looked it up on the Sufix site, and the spec that really surprised me was the small line diameter and the pound test.

The "usual" mono and FC lines with a 0.30 mm diameter have a 10 lb test. But the Super 21 line with a 0.30 mm was listed as having a 17 lb test.
I believe that the Sufix website data is incorrect, and I plan on contacting them.

The data on the spool is most likely the correct info....

I bought a spool of 12 lb and it says that the diameter is 0.35 mm, and that is a normal diameter. The website says that at 0.35 mm, the test is 24 lbs.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:48 am

I had some time, and I was curious, so I called the Rapala VMC Corp. in Minnesota who own the Sufix brand.

I connected with the Sufix expert who was very knowledgeable and helpful.

He knew immediately what I was referring to when I mentioned the unusually high line test values for the low diameter lines.

He said that the line is a European line, but that Dick's requested that they sell it in the United States. Dick's does not have exclusivity, but it is the only company selling it.

He revealed that Dick's requested the line because they "liked the price point."

Regarding the high line test values, he revealed that they were European values where the line tests are conducted differently.

We had a bit of a disagreement because he insisted that the line test and diameter data was on a Dick's website; whereas I said that it was on a Sufix.com website.

I brought up the Sufix Siege line, where he mentioned that Super 21 was similar.

So enough of my research into this rather trivial matter. I gotta get on with my life.

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:58 pm

24lb for a 0,35mm nylon line is in my opinion not untypically: http://www.aspo-gmbh.de/shop/monofile-a ... /index.htm
More pictures: https://www.instagram.com/addicted_to_baitcaster/